The Eighth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Posts: 1863
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am
Location: San Diego, Ca

Post by mgtremaine » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:27 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

mushgnome wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:13 pm
January 5

It's early afternoon in the village of Hornpipe. The sun is out, pushing temperatures into the 40s. The snow from the New Years storm continues to melt away.

First stop is the Village Elder's compound. The manor-style house and its outbuildings are enclosed by an 8' high stone wall.

Dame Simonetta and Kiplyn, this is you!

OOC: The extended family numbers about a dozen, plus there could be any number of visitors. Let's roll to see how many people are here: 1d20=11. This means our Heroes should be able to get someone's attention, to open the gate.

Dame Simonetta and Kiplyn approach the heavy iron gate. They catch the attention of a servant girl. She notices Dame Simonetta's fine clothes and says, "Right away, Mum. I will fetch someone to let you in. The Elder is in his office, taking meetings. There are a couple of people in line before you, so be patient."

The rest of the Hobbet Heroes continue down the road west, toward the center of town...
"This is quite a large house, do you think they have rooms here? I wish I had brought a snack." Kiplyn looks around somewhat shyly at the surroundings.
Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 6 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling

Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm
Location: Gibsons, BC, Canada

Post by kipper » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:22 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

mgtremaine wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:27 pm
"This is quite a large house, do you think they have rooms here? I wish I had brought a snack." Kiplyn looks around somewhat shyly at the surroundings.



"Perhaps, perhaps not." Dame Simonetta replies, "There is no use speculating before we have proper information.We will be seen in turn." In point of fact, the Dame is a bit miffed at having to wait, so she is talking to herself as much as Kiplyn.

Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:21 pm

Post by Bastet1002 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:03 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

mushgnome wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:22 pm
Beppo and Robur drop off their friends and continue on to the Inn. With them are the NPCs Fiona and Douglas.

Our heroes smell smoke in the air and pick up the pace. As they come in view of the Inn, they are greeted by an unforgettable sight: A pair of legs are sticking straight up in the air! Not just any legs: the long, lovely legs of a seven-foot tall human standing on her head. And then as the flames rise and the paint starts to peel, the hobbets realize what they are looking at: It is the painted wooden sign from the Inn of the Welcome Wench. Someone has torn down the sign (depicting an impossibly proportioned, scantily clad woman) from its signpost and is making a public spectacle of burning it in the road.

There are two humans, both men. They tug at the burning sign and break it into pieces, sending up a shower of sparks. "Let it burn, Mike, let it burn."

Robur hears a 'glugging' sound. He sees a wine barrel, labelled 'Urnst White,' a nice vintage. It's been smashed open and is spilling its contents onto the ground. Next to it is a broken barrel labelled 'Mead'!

What is this, a fun raid by the party-pooper police?!? How do the Hobbets react?
Robur is not used to seeing humans but is absolutely incensed by this vandalism and dumping of fine alcohol. It hits so very close to his heart and he imagines if this happened to his father's business. He casts the Druid spell entangle on the two men, and yells at them drawing his stiletto, "What in the tumbleweeds are you doing?!" He then plans to interrogate this "Mike" and the other human.
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - with shield, , HP 5/7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, Spells: entangle, Background: Mead maker

Posts: 2500
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm
Location: Upper Miskatonic Valley

Post by mushgnome » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:48 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

Kiplyn and Dame Simonetta:

After waiting for a while, our heroes are led into the compound to meet with the Village Elder. His "office" turns out to be a clearing at the edge of his pastures. The Elder is leading against a fence, watching his family work the farm, with a look of pride and satisfaction on his face. He is a trim older man with a kindly and concerned facial expression. He gives the impression of being a good listener. "I like to be out in the fresh air. This is where I do my best thinking. What can I do for you? You don't seem to be down on your luck."

Posts: 2500
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm
Location: Upper Miskatonic Valley

Post by mushgnome » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:56 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

Robur:

Mike sees Robur draw his weapon and shouts in alarm: "Open!"

The other human steps in between Robur and Mike. "Now now, put away your butter knife, little man! You look hangry. Come inside and have something to eat. My name is Darby. Welcome to the Straight and Narrow Inn."

OOC: Entangle spell requires some sort of trees or vines. The two humans are standing in the road, no plants.

Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:51 pm

Post by Scottenkainen » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:36 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

mushgnome wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:56 pm
The other human steps in between Robur and Mike. "Now now, put away your butter knife, little man! You look hangry. Come inside and have something to eat. My name is Darby. Welcome to the Straight and Narrow Inn."
Beppo had been prepared to hide until he saw Robur's unusually warm reception. This emboldened Beppo to step forward and say loudly, "Straight and Narrow Inn? What happened to the Inn of the Welcome Wench?"

Posts: 212
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 2:27 pm
Location: New Jersey

Post by rredmond » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:46 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

mushgnome wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:57 pm
Do either of you speak up and say anything to the Druid, or do you let Ursa make the introduction, while she seems to be on a roll?
Noh will bow, with Carc on his shoulder, "an honor to meet you, Jaroo Ashstaff I am Noh and my companion Carc."
Noh will bring whatever fruits and berries he can purchase from Frederick and anything Ursa deems appropriate for the bear; he wants to make a good impression.
Faerie Fire specialized in: Entangle
Detection scrolls: Magic; Snares & Pits
Carc's squawks: 2=danger; 3=grave danger (is there any other kind); 4=RUN!
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!

Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:21 pm

Post by Bastet1002 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:58 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

Scottenkainen wrote:
mushgnome wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:56 pm
The other human steps in between Robur and Mike. "Now now, put away your butter knife, little man! You look hangry. Come inside and have something to eat. My name is Darby. Welcome to the Straight and Narrow Inn."
Beppo had been prepared to hide until he saw Robur's unusually warm reception. This emboldened Beppo to step forward and say loudly, "Straight and Narrow Inn? What happened to the Inn of the Welcome Wench?"
Robur warily lowers his blade, but does not put it away to see what these "thugs" Darby and Mike have to say for themselves.
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - with shield, , HP 5/7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, Spells: entangle, Background: Mead maker

Posts: 941
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post by coffee » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:34 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

mushgnome wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:49 pm
Last but not least...

Do you take this offer?

OOC: This is far more generous to the players than the module as-written. Gygax would only offer you 600gp for the chess set.
Wilbur is inclined to take this offer, but confers with his comrades first.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm
Location: Gibsons, BC, Canada

Post by kipper » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:09 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

mushgnome wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:48 pm
Kiplyn and Dame Simonetta:

After waiting for a while, our heroes are led into the compound to meet with the Village Elder. His "office" turns out to be a clearing at the edge of his pastures. The Elder is leading against a fence, watching his family work the farm, with a look of pride and satisfaction on his face. He is a trim older man with a kindly and concerned facial expression. He gives the impression of being a good listener. "I like to be out in the fresh air. This is where I do my best thinking. What can I do for you? You don't seem to be down on your luck."


Dame Simonetta curtsies politely and ignores the Elder's implication that we may have come for handouts! "We have come to introduce ourselves. I am Dame Simonetta Clytie LaJolle, and this Goodman is Kiplyn Sorefoot. We, along with some others, would like to take up residence in this town. I was curious as to who in town may be able to provide long-term accomodations for respectable persons."

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.