(073) Wind and Sand


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 971

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Tue May 26, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

"That was easy," thinks Highbough. "Stupid worms." If he is going to survive this harsh landscape all by himself, the old Elf will need powerful weapons. He takes his bearings and then sets off in the direction of the ancient battlefield. He treads lightly, walking without rhythm so as not to attract more sandworms.
User avatar

Posts: 1501

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Tue May 26, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Gotcha! Yes then as stated Wen will head towards the fortress, cautiously, with the intent to search some of the battle field for magic. Has to be done and I'm almost in the right place to do it.Highbough and I have been drawn here by the Forest Spirit so... no time like the present
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:30 am

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Wen and Highbough independently get their bearings relative to the nearest (quarter-mile off) alcazar fortress. Both are parched from their efforts eluding the worms, and cannot help but take another swig of the valuable resource from their ailing flasks before trudging doggedly toward the fortress through the barren heat and fiercely whipping sands. It is exhausting work, even in the lesser gravity of this world, and both Elves think diligently about refreshing their water supply as they walk...

'Tis a half hour, perhaps more, perhaps less, when each wanderer separately attains the summit of a last sand-ridge before the desert flattens out into a true dead-pan, and stands looking across the expanse of shimmering red/white sand that basks under the relentless red sun, laid out before the ominous arms of the encircling fortress; a true killing ground if ever there was one.

As far as the glare-blind elvish eyes can see the hard-baked desert field is littered with broken spears and arrows and tattered pennants and threadbare standards flicking and snapping in the hostile wind, a thousand corpses, nay a hundred thousand, unidentified carcasses lie buried in the sand across a forlorn vista of the vanquished armies of yesterage...
Your water flasks are now half-full.

The referee checks once more for random happenings; 1d6=4. The desert is patient.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1501

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Wen would look across the vast battlefield and with sympathetic eyes. He can't help but think of all those brave souls who died on this field so long ago, and how they would never return home, never even a whisper of their fate. "Best get this over with." he would say to the wind. Keeping the direction of the Portal in mind Wen would make his way to the nearest edge of the battle field where he would cast his DETECT MAGIC and proceed to conduct the most efficient search he can.


I'm aware that I must remove my armor to cast this spell and leave it off during the duration. I also would be very attentive for fallen Elves, as magical armor is on top of my NEEDS list.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 971

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:08 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Highbough raises his hands in a grand gesture, but is disappointed when the army of the dead does not rise at his command. Perhaps their weapons... he thinks to himself. Highbough will cast Detect Evil (duration 6 turns, range 12") and scan the ancient battlefield for cursed or unholy items.
I will assume that Highbough has not yet spotted Wen.
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

The wind-blown desert pan is broad and harsh. The red light and parching heat would wither the stoutest oak, and strongest heart. The two elves independently stride down the dunes, into the scorching wind, and onto the hellish field. Each is aware that he is not alone... there are scavengers dotted here and there upon the field. Hunched figures, half-seen, flitting here and there at a distance, not wanting to be seen. They are far off yet, and don't pose any immediate threat, but they are there.

Our elves raise their respective enchantments--Wen's elf-song a tiny, melancholy thing; so frail in the torrential wind that his voice is near parched and choked before he completes it--before commencing their striding search among the field of fallen.

It is not long before they spot one another, for they are the only two figures upon the flat that dare to stride upright, and moreover their chosen transects would intersect...

In their dreary search, the elves pass many wretched, desiccated corpses that are at least half buried in the ever-moving sands. Who knows how many dead line wholly concealed from sight? Most of them are thankfully difficult to identify man-like skeletons cased in a tight, withered parchment of flesh and scorched mail or unrecognisable design. These here could be Men, or Elves, perhaps. These here look larger; perhaps some type of the wolf-men? Whoever they were, they died in their thousands.

Something catches Wen's squinting eye... ah, despite the flailing sands and flicking tatters of a black cloak, he glimpses an old dweomer upon a stick. What is it, an arrow? Nay, he strides swiftly to it and discovers 'tis a batton; a wand which prior looters have somehow overlooked...
The referee rolls some searching dice or the first turn... d6; Highbough=1, Wen=3. Ah, what have we here? Elves will locate hidden things on a roll of 3-6 when actively searching... ref dices for the type of item d100=? and then the item itself 1d100=?

The referee also rolls an encounter check, d6=1, so nothing.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 971

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:57 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Highbough's eyes are shot, but his ears are sharp as ever. A smile creeps across his face at the lilting sounds of Wen's Elf-song. But he is cautious as a hunting cat. He takes a moment to study the movements of the mysterious scavengers in the distance, then with a swish of his cloak, the old Elf tries his best to mimic their hunched and furtive body language. Flitting from dune to dune and trying not to attract attention, he resumes his search for cursed magic items, continuing on a path to intersect with young Wen.
User avatar

Posts: 1501

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:56 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Wen laughes at the sight of the wand, and happily scoops into his pack to be inspected later. He continues on his path when he notices HIghbough in the distance, with a smile and wave he signals his friend. "Perhaps tomorrow we shall explore the insides of the Worms but for today we still live! I suppose the others had better sense then to wander these plains, that is good, let us finish our work here and then return. I have found an old wand so far had you spied anything of interest."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1501

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:07 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Wen moves along.. Trying to remember all the Forest Spirit said... "What was it now.."

"In a thousand years hence--along a single skein of all that is--your forebears will rise to craft the arms you seek that they might hope to prevail against their infernal foe--and take battle to the skein of their enemy. In your world all this is done in ages gone by, and those arms rest still at the hands of their masters beyond the Seal of Seyal. "
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

The pair of Elves continue their scan of the vast battlefield in the most trying conditions. The blasting find is hot in their faces, and the sand rasping at their skin. Both are already parched.

After another quarter hour picking among the fallen Wen dislodges a half-burred quiver, bleached and rotted, and spies a good clutch of arrows within that must surely be elvish, though their design and motif seems archaic. Despite the sand and heat and passing years, he intuitively knows these arrows will fly true.

Meanwhile, hunched Highbough has pause over the corpse of an over-sized figure that must have been a Captain of the enemy ranks... sensing a brooding presence, he pries at the body with his spear, and lo! There is a great and ancient mace laying under it. There is a power in that weapon, he is certain...
Wen's memory is sharp indeed!

His spell, however, is good for two turns, so the ref rolls for his second turn of searching; 1d6=5 another find! And what is it... d100=? d100=?

Highbough is on the prowl also, 1d6=5, ah ha.... d100=? d100=?

Meanwhile, the ref check for an encounter; 1d6=?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software