The Second Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:59 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Hearing the scuffle up ahead, Dougal shouts, "MOOOVE IT!!!" and draws his main gauche.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post by kipper » Wed May 27, 2020 9:59 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Depending on how much time Dame Simonetta has to act, she will do the following things (listed in order of priority, in case she doesn't have time to do them all this round):

1) Quickly extract herself from the tunnel, so as to give the other hobbets room to exit.
2) Drop whatever else she's carrying and draw her sword.
3) Attack the goat monster.

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu May 28, 2020 12:17 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Tet huffs and heaves to pull his enormous bulk through the despicable entry to the labyrinth. Great Grandpapas stew pot, why doesn't someone widen this thing? he curses to himself from up the back.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 1659
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post by mushgnome » Thu May 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Dame Simonetta frantically pulls her legs free of the tunnel and prepares to fight! The spider-goat creature wins initiative and lunges for the lantern on the ground. Simonetta senses the creature's distraction and stabs it right in its fat abdomen. When she pulls her sword out of the wound, it is covered not in red blood but in white, clumpy gore like cottage cheese. Simultaneously the spider-goat stomps its hoof on the lantern. There is a tinkling of broken glass, and the cavern is plunged into darkness. The last thing Simonetta sees in the dying light is the creature's angry white face as it whirls around with a baaa as if to say, "How dare you stab me, foolish Hobbet?!?"

Willie, you're next!
Initiative:
Dame Simonetta 1
Spider Goat 3

Simonetta to hit 1d20=15
damage 1d6=2

Does the lantern ignite as it breaks? coin toss = heads, it sputters and dies

Posts: 1089
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by acodispo » Thu May 28, 2020 2:38 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Willie has heard that terrible baa-ing before, and he crawls as quickly as he can out of the passage into the cavern.

"Be ware! It's the spider goat!" he shouts over his shoulder. He draws his axe from his belt & starts waving it about in front of him, while trying to cradle the holy water in his left arm. He puts his back to the wall & edges to the right.

His only goal is to defend himself (and the holy water) from the beast, until others can get out of the tunnel & assist!
Given that he's carrying the precious holy water, Willie forgoes any attack in favour of parry.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]

Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am
Location: San Diego, Ca

Post by mgtremaine » Thu May 28, 2020 3:17 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Kiplyn draws his trusty dagger and looks around. "Spider Goat? I don't fancy being 'et by that"
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]

Posts: 93
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 2:27 pm
Location: New Jersey

Post by rredmond » Thu May 28, 2020 7:23 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Noh pushes his cudgel ahead of him, as he tries to get through the passage as quickly as possible. "Spider goat??" He murmurs, mostly to himself, "well that sounds interesting!"
Are there any plants in the vicinity? Is there any druid lore, that Noh'won would know, about spider goats? Is it similar to the Spider Pig, from the ancient texts of Simpsons?
Nobody ever catches Nuth.
Learned spell for today: Entangle

Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Dougal doesn't mind the darkness so much, having already spent time in it, so he puts a hand on Willie's back and helps him move forward, quietly muttering, "Keep calm. Clear the tunnel and assess the danger," to the others... and to himself. As soon as he's clear of the tunnel, he draws his sword and tries to circle around the spider-goat for a flanking maneuver.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 1659
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post by mushgnome » Sat May 30, 2020 3:52 am

Re: The Second Adventure

Dame Simonetta, what is your next action? You can take another swing with your sword if you like, but the darkness gives you -4 penalty on your attack.

Willie has his back to the wall and is wielding his axe defensively. He edges to the right (northeast) so his friends can get through. Willie got a quick look into the cavern before the lantern was snuffed out, so he knows Simonetta's position and won't chop her with his axe. The lantern rolled about 15' northwest (number 2 on the map) before the creature stomped it out, and that's where Simonetta and the spidergoat are currently locked in melee. Only Willie knows this.

Dougal is next through the passage and into the open cavern. By the time he gets there, the lantern is out and the cavern is pitch black. Dougal is following Willie by touch and feels Willie move to the right and draw his axe. Dougal follows suit and draws his own weapon, but he doesn't have bearings on the spider-goat, and is worried about stabbing one of his friends in the dark. What does Dougal do next? Does he follow Willie to the right, does he go left, step forward, hold position, etc.?

Noh can see the faint flicker of Tet's torch behind him, but he is crawling forward into total darkness. He's coming to the end of the tight squeeze. Tiny Carc has been navigating the passage with ease, hopping ahead of Noh, and seems undeterred by the underground environment. When Carc hears the sounds of danger ahead, he instinctively sounds a warning caw to his master. What would Noh hope is his raven's general default behavior in combat? Would he want him to ride on his shoulder, or to fly to a safe perch, or to peck out the opponent's eyeballs, etc.?

Kiplyn is getting a fair amount of light from Tet's torch and can see Noh's feet in front of him. He has his dagger out, but there's nothing he can do to help right now.

Tet huffs and puffs as fast as he can.
A quick note to all players that I allow lighting a torch or lantern as a 1 round action (but you can't combine it with a move action).

And yes @rredmond, Spider Goat was inspired by The Simpsons. :D In-character, Noh knows nothing about spider-goats. It is like no natural creature he's ever heard of. Intuitively, he would not be surprised if it displays the ability to climb on ceilings and walls.

I allow and encourage druids to use their plant-school magic on fungi. I could easily imagine a group of giant puffballs pinning or subduing a creature. That would be a great use of the Entangle spell in my opinion (assuming that Noh has eyes on the puffballs and the target, which he currently does not.)

Posts: 1089
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by acodispo » Sat May 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

When Willie remembers Dougal was right behind him, he asks urgently in that rough direction:

"Dougal, do you still have your lantern? I lent mine to Dame Simonetta!"
This Spider-Goat really has it out for Willie's lightsources.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.