The Second Adventure


Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

User avatar

Posts: 1373

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Sun May 24, 2020 7:15 pm

The Second Adventure

December 4, 9:00 am
The Second Adventure begins!

Our Heroes bravely descend the ladder into the Hornpipe Hill Caverns.

Image

At the bottom of the ladder is an irregularly-shaped limestone cave measuring roughly 350 square feet. The ceiling is high enough for a Hobbet to stand up comfortably. Not claustrophobic at all; kind of dry and cozy like a Hobbet hole, actually. A human would have to crouch to keep from knocking their head on the ceiling. The floor is packed down and worn smooth by generations of Adventurers' feet.

The only exit is a narrow, low-ceilinged passage leading north. It is a "tight squeeze," which means that an adult human couldn't possibly crawl through, and a hobbet cannot fit if wearing armor heavier than leather. Backpacks must be removed and pushed or pulled while the Hobbets wriggle through on all fours, at half speed. PCs wearing metal armor (Tet and Simonetta) must take off the mail layer and strip down to their leather gambeson (AC7) or else they'll get stuck. Please state for the record, if you wish to put your mail back on when you get to the other end of the tunnel. Donning or removing armor takes 1 turn. Tet, to help jog your memory so you can make a good strategic decision about your armor, the next tight squeeze you encountered on the First Adventure was the rat-tunnels east of area #10.

Roll Call: Who's coming on the Second Adventure?
I will need a single-file marching order for the tight-squeeze tunnel.
Also please specify if you are lighting a torch or lantern. Whoever leads the way into the tunnel MUST have a light source.
And Noh, please state for the record which spell you have memorized.


Image

Image

Click for full sized: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4eKXdZVJGJHrxrC26
User avatar

Posts: 1518

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Mon May 25, 2020 12:11 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Kiplyn pauses a few times to tighten his gear and look around, he somehow finds himself towards the back of the line.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 898

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Mon May 25, 2020 1:23 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Now that they are back down here, Willie is feeling a little over-burdened, especially what with all the weapons on his belt, and with both hands carefully cradling the carton of holy water. With this delicate burden (and both hands occupied), he shan't lead the way, but is willing to take second place.

"Someone can use my lantern for now if you want to!" he offers.
I note that Willie replaced his lantern (purchased a new one from Frederick) after the 1st adventure.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 269

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm

Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post Mon May 25, 2020 1:55 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Dame Simonetta quickly takes the lantern from Willie, and the lead into the narrow tunnel.

Although she has never been in such a cavern before (she will not admit this, however), she still has read extensively and shows no hesitation in pointing out various rock types and formations to the others. Is her information accurate? If none of the other hobbits are experienced spelunkers either, no one will ever know.

She will put her mail back on after the first tunnel.
User avatar

Posts: 51

Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 2:27 pm

Location: New Jersey

Post Mon May 25, 2020 5:05 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Noh is comfortable ensconcing himself behind Willie. Feeling prepared for the task ahead.
Noh will learn Entangle for today, it should work on mushrooms? Also can Noh hold the lantern in the middle of the Marching Order? In his shield arm?
Nobody ever catches Nuth.
The OSRIC Site and Wiki!
User avatar

Posts: 1373

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Mon May 25, 2020 6:15 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Turn 1

Tet knows he'll never fit through the passage fully suited, so he strips down to his leather gambeson. It's quite a production as his armor is snug to say the least. He rolls up the chainmail hauberk and tucks it into the straps of his backpack, along with his cooking pots and pans. He will push the whole clanking bundle in front of him as he squeezes his fat form through the tunnel, near the back of the marching order I presume.

Dame Simonetta removes her outer layer of chain mail, and tucks it neatly away in her backpack, wrapped in her spare change of clothing to muffle the sound. (The difference in weight between chain and leather armor is 25 pounds, so let's say the mail layer fits in a backpack or large sack with 5lb to spare.) I imagine that Simonetta is crawling on her knees and one hand, and holding the lantern in front of her with her other hand. Maybe she is dragging her backpack behind her by the strap?

Noh straps his shield to his back so he has a hand free for the lantern. He thinks back to his morning meditation session with his animal companion Carc. Noh called on the spirits to prepare the spell Entangle, which affects both plants and mushrooms. Can you state for the record if you brought your raven Carc into the dungeon today? Did you teach him any new tricks? Or did you leave him topside?

Kiplyn has no real adjustments to make. Doesn't sound like he's lighting a torch? In that case I'll allow him to keep his shield in front of him.

The rest of you bunch are experienced Adventurers. You know the drill.
I recall in the First Adventure, we used this single-file marching order:

Willie (lantern)
Dougal
Chegs
Potty
Tet (torch)

And here is our Second Adventure marching order so far. Where shall we slot in Dougal and Tet?

Dame Simonetta (lantern)
Willie
Noh (lantern)
...
Kiplyn
User avatar

Posts: 51

Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 2:27 pm

Location: New Jersey

Post Mon May 25, 2020 6:37 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

"Since this is my first foray down here, and I'm more comfortable with my shield on my arm," Noh says to Willie, "I shall forgo the lantern, especially since the Dame has hers going, but it was much appreciated." He then chuckles as Carc easily waddles through the tight squeeze.
Noh and Carc will take the glow worm challenge as soon as possible to train Carc to scout ahead for danger! :D
Normally Noh will walk third with a shield in his off arm, the cudgel swinging in his fightin' arm, and Carc on his off shoulder.
Nobody ever catches Nuth.
The OSRIC Site and Wiki!
User avatar

Posts: 1773

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue May 26, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Dougal, slim and less encumbered, agrees to take the lead if the Dame does not want to. Otherwise, he'll take his place behind Willie.

"Might be best if I goes first, since it's an easy fit for me if I just drag my bag behind, Dame. But you're happy to take the lead once we get through this passage. It opens up a bit more in short order..."
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 269

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm

Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post Wed May 27, 2020 5:26 am

Re: The Second Adventure

"I can manage quite well, thank you." Dame Simonetta replies somewhat shortly. "Although it seems none of you strapping lads would care to lend a hand for a lady's pack, however."
User avatar

Posts: 1373

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Wed May 27, 2020 3:06 pm

Re: The Second Adventure

Turn 2

Dame Simonetta leads the way through the tight-squeeze passage. In some places there is enough clearance she can crawl on all fours like a cat, but in other places she must wriggle on her belly like a snake. There are some less claustrophobic sections where she can bring her knees up to her chest, and feels like maybe she could reverse direction if necessary, or two Hobbets could squish past each other, but then there are tighter sections where she can just barely fit her shoulders with her arms stretched out in front of her. For her first time spelunking, she does alright. 10'... 20'... 30'... 40'... 50'... 60'...

Turn 3

Dame Simonetta sees the tunnel ahead of her widen into a large, high-ceilinged cavern (Area 2 on the map). She wriggles her arms, head, and shoulders free of the passage to get a better look. The cavern is packed full of enormous white puffballs, like a flock of sheep. All is still and quiet, save for an occasional drip of water from the ceiling high above and out of range of her lantern light.

Before Simonetta can pull her hips and legs out of the tunnel, she is sucker punched from above, never saw it coming! She feels a quick smack to the back of her head, her neck whiplashes, and her face connects with the stone floor. Adrenaline takes over as her nose is broken and she drops the lantern!

The long shadows flicker at crazy funhouse angles as the lantern rolls across the floor and comes to rest against a puffball. The light sputters but blessedly does not go out. Dame Simonetta wipes blood from her face with the back of her hand, and sizes up her assailant: A pale, shaggy, cave-adapted creature, twice the size of a Hobbet. It resembles something you would find in nature, but somehow twisted and wrong. A eight-legged, horned goat, with a spider's abdomen and sting! It rears back with its front hooves in the air, opens its billy-goat mouth, and uncorks its baleful baaaaaa!!!

Dame Simonetta, your turn! The others are behind you in the tunnel and can't see what's going on. It's all up to you.

Willie sees Dame Simonetta's feet kick in surprise! The rest of you hear sounds of a struggle, but it's hard to tell what's happening. What do you do?

Image

Full size image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/abdaGPbjkdkBkvv58
Dame Simonetta (lantern)
Willie
Dougal
Noh
Kiplyn
Tet (torch)

1d6=5 surprise
save vs paralysis or drop lantern, 1d20=5, fail
lantern sputters but does not go out
1d6=1 broken bone for 0.49 hit points damage, round down to 0. Let's say it's the most painful possible injury without doing any real damage. Maybe this thing wants her alive...
Next

Return to Hobbets of Hornpipe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mushgnome and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software