The Sixth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by kipper » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:22 pm

Re: The Sixth Adventure

Dame Simonetta waits for Bilfur and Dougal to catch up, but otherwise continues along the path with Kiplyn.

Post by mushgnome » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:25 pm

Wilbur is just in time to catch up with his friends and join them on the walk to the river.

Frederick thanks him profusely for bringing the firewood.

Welcome back @coffee!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:43 pm

The Windmill

Over the past few weeks, our hobbet heroes have renovated the old windmill into a comfy headquarters for their adventuring party. With the amount of gold they have in their pockets, they certainly aren't sleeping on moldy sacks of grain any more! They've gathered some furniture and decorations to make the place feel like home.

Our old pal Potty is in town, having recently returned from a foraging trip, gathering ingredients to make potions. He greets Willie in his usual quirky style and describes (in great minutiae) all the mushrooms he found in the forest.

Potty has two potions for sale, 250gp each (Willie has 2,388gp):

Animal Friendship
Detect Magic
Brewing a 1st level potion costs 250gp in ingredients and takes 1 week. It's been roughly a month since Potty become an NPC. If he did nothing but brew potions 24/7 then he could have brewed up to 4 potions, but he has a life, and he probably took some time off around the holidays. Let's dice to see how many potions he brewed: 1d4 = 2 potions.

Randomly determined from the 1st level druid spell list: http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=829

Animal Friendship
Detect Magic

Since Potty is a friend, he is willing to sell the potions at cost (250gp each).
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:55 pm

The River

Kiplyn, Dame Simonetta, Dougal, Wilbur, and the newcomer Bilfur walk through the streets of Hornpipe to the banks of the Miskatonic River. The humans are all snug and warm in their homes, and our heroes do not encounter any townspeople on their way to the river.

This is the first time any of these hobbets have seen the Miskatonic up close and personal. If rivers can be said to have personalities, this one would be sullen and brooding. The waters are dark and seem ever so slightly more viscous than ordinary water. The air smells bad, like rotting fish on a hot summer day, even though it is the middle of winter.

Kiplyn flings the stone shards out into the water. They float on the surface tension for a few moments, and (perhaps it is Kiplyn's imagination?) they almost seem to sizzle like butter in a skillet. Then, the fragments sink below the surface, hopefully never to be found. It's weird; you'd think the stones would tumble end-over-end in the current as they waft down to the river bed, but instead bloop! straight to the bottom, into the murk and out of sight.

Anyone got any fun ideas while you are here at the River? Any other sight-seeing you want to do in town, before returning to the House of Pancakes or your Windmill Headquarters?
Random encounter check: 1d6 = 1, no encounter.

We will check again for the return trip.

Kiplyn loses one point of MYTHOS, resetting him to zero.

If Dougal or Dame Simonetta wish to lose a point of MYTHOS as well, they have that option.

Wilbur and Bilfur have zero MYTHOS, so they are unaffected.

@dtspurrier, MYTHOS is our homebrew system for measuring a character's atunement to the Cthulhu Mythos. As with any new PC, Bilfur starts off at zero.

Post by kipper » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:24 pm

The Dame is perhaps less than completely satisfied with the way the pieces all seemed to sink down together, and continues eyeing the spot suspiciously. However, in short order the fumes from the river start to wrinkle her nose and she turns to leave.
Dame Simonetta will keep her current MYTHOS score.

Post by mgtremaine » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:03 pm

Kiplyn gives the bag a final shake. "Well that's done I guess. I might be ready for nap. Should we head back."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:11 pm

Over at the Windmill, Willie marvels at the potions.

"These are great, Potty! I'll take both of them. I am sure they'll come in useful down there -- you should see it! We bothered a whole nest of cave fennecs. We had to fight them -- they were very aggressive -- but maybe with a potion like this we could tame them instead! Anyway, I'll be back for more. Keep up the good work!"
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by coffee » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:37 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:25 pm
Wilbur is just in time to catch up with his friends and join them on the walk to the river.

Frederick thanks him profusely for bringing the firewood.

Welcome back @coffee!
(I actually meant for Wilbur to get there after the others had left -- I don't have a mythos score and don't want to get one!

But I guess the walk will do me good...)
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:27 pm

OOC: It's your call, coffee. We can easily ret-con that Wilbur stayed behind at the restaurant. Is there anything he wants to talk about with Frederick and/or Ursa? Or is he just keeping to himself, eating pancakes? We could even say that Wilbur went to the windmill with Willie. I don't think Wilbur and Potty have ever met, on-camera.

It's your choice!

Post by mushgnome » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:33 pm

OOC: Does Willie have any potion requests for Potty's next batch? I can't guarantee he would come through for you--Potty is an NPC with his own agenda and free will, not your employee--but it can't hurt to drop a hint, if there's something particular you're looking for.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”