Primordial Ooze...

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Primordial Ooze...

riftstone wrote:Maybe an elf Cleric/M-U or Druid? Not sure what is allowed. Would I have to be a Clr/Ftr/M-U to have cleric?
The dual- and treble- classed options specified in Greyhawk (including non-player options) are allowed in Hinterlands.
Thus, elves can be fighter/magic-users, fighter/magic-user/clerics, fighter/magic-user/rat-catchers (standing in for GH's fighter/magic-user/thief). There is no elvish magic-user/cleric option, however.

The elvish F/M-U/C would have three PRs (strength, intelligence, and wisdom), so with ability scores of 7, 16, 14, this figure's PRs would be 9, 18, 16 (each ability adjusted by +2 due to 14 wisdom). Therefore, his overall XP bonus would be +0% +10% +10% for a total of +20%.

The elvish F/M-U/C's first "level up" would be at 4,800 XP, at which point he would become a fighter-medium-chaplain (1/1/2).
At 6,000 XP he would become a veteran-medium-chaplain (2/1/2).
At 7,200 XP he would become a veteran-seer-chaplain (2/2/2).
At 9,000 XP he would become a sergeant-veteran-seer (2/2/3).
Etc.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:36 pm

mushgnome wrote:Can Rat Catchers use the sling?
Technically, no:
he can employ only the wizard's and cleric's arms
and
Clerical-types cannot use slings but can throw warhammers (3" range).
However, it does seem more appropriate to me that the R-C would use a sling to plunk rats rather than a warhammer! In fact, the general allowance of "cleric's arms" seems a bit of an awkward generalisation.

I am going to update the R-C class to allow a more specific list of arms that will include slings but disallow warhammers, flails, and morningstars. Allowed will be: daggers, hand-axes, cudgels, staves, mace, sling, and... crossbows. (this kind of thing is exactly what a play test is helpful!)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:41 pm

Eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:I thought, I said Gunter was of Neutral Alignment. If I didn't, I do now. :)
Great! It shall be so.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:56 pm

mgtremaine wrote:Must I take Gothic? That is i could easily see this one having Illiberal, Empyrean and Literate with no ability in Gothic just by the cloistered nature of his up-bringing. In temple they spoke only Empyrean.
Hmm, this kind of backstory could be plausible if Alfwin is a foreigner; native to, or else handed over as a child to, some neighboring fiefdom which is entirely a religious cloister where they only speak Empyrean. This would make him a bit "different" to the locals in some ways... certainly workable if you want to run with it :)

Such a fiefdom might be THEUDELUND, a fief some weeks away, north-east of the Ivory Wold.

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:04 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
mgtremaine wrote:Must I take Gothic? That is i could easily see this one having Illiberal, Empyrean and Literate with no ability in Gothic just by the cloistered nature of his up-bringing. In temple they spoke only Empyrean.
Hmm, this kind of backstory could be plausible if Alfwin is a foreigner; native to, or else handed over as a child to, some neighboring fiefdom which is entirely a religious cloister where they only speak Empyrean. This would make him a bit "different" to the locals in some ways... certainly workable if you want to run with it :)

Such a fiefdom might be THEUDELUND, a fief some weeks away, north-east of the Ivory Wold.

Works for me...
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:01 am

The Red Baron wrote: Greyhawk had a proto-druid, in my opinion based on Zogar Sag in the classic Conan adventure Beyond the Black River.

Simon actually did a full writeup for the class here, inspired by the monster in Greyhawk:

Its worth noting that the Greyhawk druid is chaotic. Source, since I'm too lazy to look up the pagenumber: (http://odd74.proboards.com/thread/4813)
I understand the material for a Druid class is out there. My comment was based on the first two sentences of the Character Generation thread in the House Rules for this game.

http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic ... 850#p22850

"Players can elect to play Fighters, Magic-Users, or Clerics, as per the DD V5 rules (very similar to the DD V4 rules). There are no thieves but there are Rat Catchers and Rangers (similar, but not identical to, the Ranger as per The Strategic Review)."

Like I said, it's up to the DM as to whether or not he allows it, but it isn't contained in the House Rules.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by riftstone » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:12 am

I think maybe just the Magic-User would be sufficient.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:17 am

riftstone wrote:I think maybe just the Magic-User would be sufficient.
I'd be happy for you to player an M-U as a Druid. You could also use your spells, and particularly the self-written spells, to demonstrate supernatural/"druid-like" powers.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:31 am

One week to go before kickoff.

Now only waiting on:

Coffee to confirm his language option and gmail address (if any),
Todd to develop his fighting-man (needs a name, alignment, gear),
Riftstone to develop his M-U (or other character),
DoctorX to develop a character.

Meanwhile; when your record sheet is ready you can hop over to the preflight thread...

Post by mushgnome » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Thanks ways! Boggs swapped his marbles for a sling. It was a tough choice.

@ehiker I saw what you wrote about Boggs on your character sheet, neat!

@eris Do you think Boggs and Gunt already know each other? Maybe they have been traveling together for some time?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Return to “Character Generation”