(03) Scouting the Ruins

Waysoftheearth's Wyrmspear PBP

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:02 pm

Re: (03) Scouting the Ruins

I thought of torch first but worried it would be harder to sneak about. I thought the candle would be easier to hide. However if the the universe is telling me that the torch would be just as good well then I'll do that. :lol:
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:43 am

It's up to you.
The chances of a candle unexpectedly going out as you move around, outdoors, would have to be non-zero, unless you do something to prevent that from happening. A torch wouldn't go out so easily, but sure... might be more likely to attract attention unless you devise some kind of precaution to prevent that outcome.

Perhaps a (closed) hooded lantern would be the best option to deal with those multiple risks?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:30 pm

We have lanterns but I'm unclear that they are hooded. Can we clarify that?
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:01 pm

If Goldwen has a lantern, I'm PRETTY SURE it's hooded.
:D :lol:
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by zygarti » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:16 am

”I believe the harpies were only here for the easy feed, I doubt they’ll make any moves against us in broad daylight” Flin suggests.
Flin Ireforge [Dwarf Myrmidon, Strong, MV 6′′, AC 5, HD 3, hp 15, FC 3 men/hero −1, SV F7, N].

Post by rredmond » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:34 pm

Agreed, the longer we stand here waiting, the more of a chance for enemies to catch us flat footed, Garamon says looking at the others. Start a commotion, or bold frontal assault, I'm good with either, but we need to get moving.
It looks like vote is to start the fire and get in there. The lanterns are our best bet? No matter what there's a roll coming to see if we get caught noticed :D
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:53 pm

Tass will take a lantern and cover it as best he can. "Alright let's see how this goes, I think it's going to fun!!"

Post by Tonneau » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:30 am

Wraislin picks at some stubborn grit under his fingernail with a twig while the debate ensues.

Whisps of magical power issue from the very pores of his skin while he waits, clear to any with eyes to see such...
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by sully » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:59 am

Yeah, I think we've spent enough time planning. Let's make it happen!
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:06 am

Tass collects and shoulders the four flasks of oil offered up by his fellows, while Flin chips away stubbornly with flint and steel to put a spark into the small bundle of tinder to light the lantern.

After what seems like an age he finally gets it smoldering, when Raislin leans over and points his Zippo finger at it and--with a guttural word--causes it to ignite hungrily. Humph. And thusly, the lantern is finally lit.

At last little Tass, burdened with four oil flasks and the bulky lantern, staggers off toward the supply yard, while the rest of the party wait...

Ever so less sneakily than usual, encumbered as he is, Tass makes his way quietly as he can around the site and to the supply yard.
So far, so good. He pauses for a breather; all these flasks of oil sloshing around are a bother.
Dabbing the sweat off his forehead, Tass mentally selects two good-sized timber piles as his targets, and makes his way through the supply yard to the nearer as sneakily as he can. Getting there, he plonks the shuttered lantern down then unslings and unspots two of the four flasks of oil. That done, he up-ends them--one in each hand-- into the heart of the wood pile.

Glug, glug, glug... goes the oil as it chugs out of its flasks.

Just as the flasks are emptied and Tass is about the dump them into the pile, a voice suddenly rings out:

"Oi!"

Tass instinctively looks up at one of the workers on the scaffolding peering right down at him. A bunch of other rooftop workers stop to look around too. "Whaddaya think YOUR doin??!"

(Back at the staging point, it's more muted, but the party hear something is afoot...).
There is the implication of action IC. I will assume it is so....

Does Tass elude the perimeter guard to reach the supply yard unseen? 1d6=6, yes he does.
Does Tass douse a timber-pile at either end of the supply yard with two flasks of oil without mishap? 1d6=2. Erk.

Is Tass surprised? 1d6=4, so no. He saw/sensed it coming in time, so he can react simultaneously with the NPCs.

What about the rest of the party? 1d6=3, so yes. They'll have to wait until after Tass' immediate reaction before doing anything.

So, what now Master Burglar? You have mere moments to react...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Return to “Wyrmspear”