The Ninth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:31 pm

Re: The Ninth Adventure

Click! The medallion locks into place, and a secret compartment in the pedestal slides open. Inside are a potion and 3 scrolls.

The potion is labelled in Greek: AMBROSIA

Scroll 1 can be used by any character who reads Greek. It is a scroll of Warding Against Undead (10' radius, 1 hour duration, protects against 4-24 hit dice of undead).

Scroll 2 is a Druidic scroll with two spells (2nd and 3rd level): Cure Light Wounds and Water Breathing.

Scroll 3 is written in a language none of you can understand. The calligraphy is exquisite and looks like something you would find in an old monastery. (None of your characters would have any way of identifying it, but this is a Clerical spell scroll.)

The secret compartment is positioned such that, in order to retrieve the items, you have to kneel down in front of the statue. After the scrolls and potion have been removed, the secret compartment gently slides shut again. The medallion comes loose from the statue's neck, falls to the ground, and rolls across the floor to Dame Simonetta (as though the statue wants her to have it).

As you kneel and look up at the wise stone face above you, there is no doubt about it: This is not a petrified dwarf; it is an ancient, master-crafted statue of their goddess Athena. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense that the ancient dwarves would imagine Athena as one of their own kind.

The statue may be cracked and chipped, but somehow, you feel like it's going to be okay.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by kipper » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:09 pm

Dame Simonetta places the medallion back around her neck. "Thank you, great Athena!" she says.

She thinks we should return back to room #2, and then try the south-west passage which seems to lead under room #11.

Post by mushgnome » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:26 pm

OOC: That's one vote for the lower-decker room off area #2. Do we have a second vote? Before moving on, please let me know who is carrying the potion and each of the three scrolls.

I'm about to post something over in off-topic thread, if you have a few spare minutes I'd love to get your input on my latest idea.

viewtopic.php?p=36488#p36488
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:27 pm

Assuming there's no limit on the druid level required for the druid scroll?
Last edited by rredmond on Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by rredmond » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:29 pm

Area 2 sounds good!
Druids should carry the scrolls and potion, especially those who aren't going to be front and center in fights :)
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]

Post by rredmond » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:36 pm

After checking, only the Dame can speak Greek. I think we know who gets the warding scroll :)
Robur did all the digging and should have the druidic scroll.
Noh can carry the useless Clerical scroll and Bilfur the (hopefully healthful) potion?
Just throwing it out there. :D
Potions can be poured down unconscious party members' throats?

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:00 pm

Dougal stands quite still, awestruck by the magics that must be necessary to make such an event happen.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:21 pm

1. Correct, druids can read any level spell scroll. This is a good way for druids to cast spells beyond their current ability.

2. Yes, a potion can be poured down the throat of an unconscious/dying comrade.

3. I, myself, have no idea what to do with the clerical scroll. Is there any way for a non-cleric hobbet to cast from a clerical scroll? Beats me. I'm just putting it out there as a riddle for you all to ponder.

Post by Bastet1002 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:12 pm

Robur wants to take carry the Druid (Cure Light Wounds and Water Breathing) scroll and agrees to Dame's plan.
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - w/ shield, , HP 7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, scroll cure lit. wound + wat breath, Background: Mead maker

Post by acodispo » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:17 pm

Willie seems a little out of it, staring at the walls or the mushrooms while everyone else discusses the next steps of exploration, but then eagerly helping out whenever anybody needs a hand lifting a statue's head or anything like that.

He agrees with Dame S's plan.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”