The Third Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:51 am

Re: The Third Adventure

Tet chugs up to form a line with Kip quick as he may; hefting his spear and shield to the ready.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by acodispo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:06 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

Willie growls back at the Cave Fennec!

"RAWR! Get out of here, you creepy varmint!"

He bangs Chegs' warhammer on his shield.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]

Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post by kipper » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:18 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

Dame Simonetta draws her sword and main-gauche and starts moving slowly towards the animal. She's attempting to scare it off, not attack it. She will stop moving once she is no further away from it than any other hobbit.
I believe Noh has Animal Friendship memorised, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile casting it here? Does he want another pet?

Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm
Location: Upper Miskatonic Valley

Post by mushgnome » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:37 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

The cave fennec has heard enough. It speeds down the SW tunnel with its tail between its legs.

yip yip yip yip yip!

In the distance our heroes hear a faint reply of many voices:

yipyip yip yipyipyip yip

Carc can't help himself and lets out a single gronk! as if to taunt the fleeing fennec. The raven has Six Big Scary Hobbets on his side and is feeling puffed up.
Noh has Entangle today but there's no flora to speak of in this part of the dungeon.

Animal Friendship is a great idea though! A fox relative to a Hobbet would be like a Doberman to a Human. And as a cave-adapted creature, its senses would extend beyond the 30' limit of lantern/torch light.

Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm
Location: Upper Miskatonic Valley

Post by mushgnome » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:49 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

A quick flow-chart:

1. NE down the well-trodden passage toward the rhythmic sucking/blowing sound
2. SW into the fennec lair
3. Backtrack to the rat nest
4. Backtrack SW to dungeon levels 2 or 3
5. Way-backtrack to the Chasm where Ursa is working in the dark, maybe do something foolish like climb into the Spider-Goat's lair?

Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post by kipper » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:38 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

"Let's give those critters some time to settle down, I say we should explore the north-east tunnel after all," Dame Simonetta says. "Now that I think about it some more, I'm of the opinion that it's just some sort of natural feature which is moving the air and keeping the tunnel clean."

Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by acodispo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:06 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

"I was thinking the same thing myself, ma'am! But for goodness sake let's be careful."

Willie is ready to enter the NE tunnel.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]

Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm
Location: Upper Miskatonic Valley

Post by mushgnome » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:40 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

Noh casts a third vote for exploring the NE tunnel. He stands at the tunnel entrance for a minute, listening to the wet, rhythmic, wheezing sound with his druid's ears. "I just don't know," he shrugs. "But I'm game if you are."
I will give each of you a chance to make an Intelligence check to identify the noise. You can roll at home with your favorite d20; try to roll less than or equal to your Intelligence. Let me know whether you succeed or fail, and if you succeed, whether your PC has ever been to the ocean in their backstory, or if they are a landlubber.

Noh fails his INT check with a roll of 12.

Posts: 1664
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am
Location: San Diego, Ca

Post by mgtremaine » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:24 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

Rigel:~ mgt$ eAsp-shell.pl
eAsp:roll d20
mgt's roll comes to 18 [18 on d20]

I suspect I failed, if it was roll under.
Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe

Posts: 1867
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:50 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

Dougal takes a moment to ponder the sound and thinks he might have an idea!
INT Check (11 or lower) [1d20] = 9

I'm still here! Sorry for the terrible posting rate. Life is pretty shitty right now, but still plugging along.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 8/8, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.