(069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by heartless » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

"Thank you Josiane for saving Dorgan, but we still fear for his future and we must get help for him immediately. Can we make it to the elves in time? I am a friend of the wood elves and willing to help in anyway I can. My arrows are sure and true and I'm willing to provide aid to protect Dorgan wherever we need to go", says Ashtad.
How far away are the Wood elves of Wildwood that Ashtad knows of? Or is Dhren's people closer?
[Hinderlands]Kianna the Elf Sister-Fighter-Medium, Elf Maiden, Fighter/MU/Cleric 1/1/1
[Hinterlands-Netherworld] Ashtad Engel (the flaming arrow), Human Maiden, Marksman 2
[Moria] Lady Éohild (Noble of Rohan), Human Women, Fighter 3

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Polymorphing Dorgan into a Pegasus and providing him with an Elven rider sounds like an easy solution to the task at hand...
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by doctorx » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:30 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:DocX: Note that a 5th level cleric can memorise only two 1st and two 2nd level spells per day.
Whoops! :oops: Sorry, ways. Post corrected.

Post by Merctime » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:29 pm

I'm in favor of Ehiker's idea, for the record. If Ashtad's people are closer than Dhren's, then he will immediately agree to Ashtad going instead of him with no reservation.

Post by sully » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm ok with the polymorph idea, except that it means I need to trek back here by myself on foot once I've been 'cleansed'. Assuming we left today, a small group could still make it on foot well before the aptly named deadline, correct?

Walking would also mean I wouldn't have to deal with asking Ulric for the potion.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by mushgnome » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:15 pm

If Highbough were here, he'd remind Dorgan (and anyone else thinking of wandering off with him) that the following party members are currently MIA and perhaps in imminent danger: Beringar, Valorn, Gustave, Olaf, Torben, Dieter, Wen, Highbough. With all due sensitivity to Dorgan's predicament, he's 4 days away from dying, which is probably at least a year real-time at the pace we're playing.

It is fun and classic D&D to observe the role playing of this group over time, how the relationships between the characters evolve over the years. Dorgan has always been a selfless "rock" so, even though from a certain point of view, he risks the success of the party's mission to chug an unidentified potion, the Lawful-types are willing to drop everything to save his life. Do you think if Highbough foolishly wielded an unidentified magic sword and went full Chaotic he'd get the same sympathy? ;)
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:25 pm

sully wrote:I'm ok with the polymorph idea, except that it means I need to trek back here by myself on foot once I've been 'cleansed'. Assuming we left today, a small group could still make it on foot well before the aptly named deadline, correct?

Walking would also mean I wouldn't have to deal with asking Ulric for the potion.
Not necessarily by yourself if you were to become a pegasus and carry a rider. That would be two people. Maybe three, if the riders were light. You'd possibly have to deal with harassing cat calls by elves (both in the party and of the wildwood) who would receive much pleasure at a dwarf being ridden by an elf, of course... And another return trip via hippogryph might be possible, as well.

Harder decision to decide who should stay and go with two of the more experienced fighters and two casters gone from the party and no idea when they'll be back. Three groups of party members would leave them all quite thin. Would be nice if they were still here! In any case, Desmond/Mondes would like to stay at the Abbey and try to help clear out the doppelganger. If travel is by foot, his speed would be a detriment, anyway.
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by sully » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:05 pm

Well, if we use the same "certain point of view", Gustave risked the success of the party's mission by jumping down into the abbey courtyard by himself against overwhelming odds, but the party decided to go find him anyway. Stupid Lawful-types, always dropping everything to save their friends' lives. No wonder we never get anywhere.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:19 pm

mushgnome wrote:If Highbough were here, he'd remind Dorgan (and anyone else thinking of wandering off with him) that the following party members are currently MIA and perhaps in imminent danger: Beringar, Valorn, Gustave, Olaf, Torben, Dieter, Wen, Highbough. With all due sensitivity to Dorgan's predicament, he's 4 days away from dying, which is probably at least a year real-time at the pace we're playing.

It is fun and classic D&D to observe the role playing of this group over time, how the relationships between the characters evolve over the years. Dorgan has always been a selfless "rock" so, even though from a certain point of view, he risks the success of the party's mission to chug an unidentified potion, the Lawful-types are willing to drop everything to save his life. Do you think if Highbough foolishly wielded an unidentified magic sword and went full Chaotic he'd get the same sympathy? ;)
META-Mush is right. We should go see what happened to Beringar and Valorn immediately! As to the others? We have absolutely no idea - in-game OR META-game - where they went or how they got there, so... Hope it wasn't Highbough you were referring to. ;)

Post by sully » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:20 pm

Dorgan states his proposal:

"This morning, we form a small team to go to the Ogre Bridge and check on Beringar and Valorn. I will volunteer to lead it. I'll take no more than three others. The rest will go to the Ring Room and attempt to determine how the Ring Team disappeared.

If we figure out how to find the Ring Team, the rest of the party will go in pursuit of them and Gustave. I will stay behind to head to Southwatch on foot. I won't stop anyone from staying behind to go with me but I'm fine to go on my own. I'm sure Dhren and/or Ashtad can draw me a map.

If we don't figure out how to find the Ring Team, I will use the Polymorph potion and fly to Southwatch (or wherever Ashtad came from) with Ashtad and Dhren (only if they volunteer) and share all the info we have on the Ring with the elves. We'll see if any of the elves can help us activate it, and then that group will head back to the Abbey with the info."

Return to “Hinterlands”