(055) Wildwood/The Ivory Wold

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by mushgnome » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: (055) Wildwood/The Ivory Wold

mgtremaine wrote: Wen listens intently to Highbough and nods. "If that is your wish Taurnorn, then it will be so. Our people have always honored the eldest, for if you can not honor those who have seen their", and here Wen the Elven word for "quarter-million sunrises", then you can not honor life itself. I do not think or people will judge you that harshly, but I have not the right to speak of things you do not want spoken of. The Wildwold has need of us I think, you are my friend and companion so." Wenfinishes with a single finger raised to his lips.
"Your deference pleases me," says Highbough, raising his finger to his own lips in a gesture of agreement. "Let us pay our respects to the little one the men call 'Roofus.' It might look suspicious to our hosts if we do not make a token gesture of sympathy..."

The elf now known as Taurnorn freshens his appearance before attending the funeral rites. He stows his Ire Spear and Cloak of Elemental Night with his traveling gear, dons more elegant, nature-themed clothing typical of his kind, and combs the knots from his long silver hair. WIth sword slung at his side in the style of a Gentle-Elf, rather than leaning on his customary spear, Highbough/Taurnorn stands strong and tall, without the usual hunch in his back, and his traveling companions might do a double take to see him look so fair, almost... gay!

He participates quietly but respectfully in the ceremony for Rufus, meditating on the grinding inevitability of time. He is the last to leave the grave site, lingering a while longer as would any old Elf stopping to appreciate the beauty of nature. It is what they would expect from one such as Taurnorn, he thinks for a moment, a thought he immediately crushes with his iron will.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Eris » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:05 pm

Olaf is still very young, so once he awakens, he will walk about just observing all that is around him...it is all new, exciting and different to him. Yes, he will seek out food, and at some point a bath and clean clothing, but mostly he is a gawker this first day.

When he learns that Rufus is to be buried, he will attend and say silent prayers to his gods that Rufus' next life be longer than his first and filled with happiness and good cheer.

Olaf will seek to acquire replacements for his lost equipment. He'll try to find a way to buy a new shield or two, armor and if he can get his hands on his sword have it sharpened and the nicks taken out of it's blade.

Olaf's bow isn't up to Elven standards, and he is sure their skill exceeds his, but he isn't too proud to take instruction if he can find someone willing to be his instructor.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Gustave arises, feeling somewhat more heroic than usual (if this is indeed possible).

He attends the burying of Rufus, raising a brow at the New Highbough, and makes sure to stand a little further from the old Elf than usual.

Following the eulogy, he wanders the encampment in search of a blacksmith, keeping an eye out for autumn haired maidens en route.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:51 pm

Desmond, too, attends the burial of Rufus, feeling a sense of kin to him, since he was the only other halfling in the party.

Seeing as how nobody knows Rufus' next of kin, in fact, and since his "sense of kinship" is so strong, Desmond is certainly willing to accept his belongings on their behalf...
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:51 pm

Wen would also remember to offer his help to Ulric. "Master Ulric, if you should require my meager talents with the item identification let me know. I have yet to study my spellbook and would be happy to commit The Effable Apperception to memory if you feel it is required."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:13 am

The funeral arrangements for Rufus are finalised and the company clean themselves up and get into a respectable state. This done, they attend a brief ceremony conducted in the late-morning, during which Mondes makes a few uncalled for remarks.

Afterward, Desmond--as the only other Halfling present--agrees to take stewardship of Rufus' goods and return them to his kin. However, considering Desmond is neutrally aligned, this may turn out to be a case of "when it suits him", rather than "as soon as possible".

When they return to their accommodations, they find the Elves have invited them to a general council this evening wherein the matters of Ket and the goblin activities can be discussed, and new plans made.

Meanwhile, Ulric, Highbough, Wen, and Josiane find time to assay the goods they have recovered from the abbey.

Ulric firstly discerns the pong of sorcery lingering about:

The rosary beads that were recovered from the Grell lair,
The pearly sphere stood upon a silver snake looted from the burned out chapel,
The gnarled staff, one of the motley of plain wooden bowls, and the tome from the secret reliquary.

Further invocations of The Effable Apperception by our magical types resolve the hidden magical runes that will command these artifacts to function... and so it is ultimately learned that:

The Rosary Beads will, when the inscribed prayer is invoked, protect the wearer from evil,

The pearly sphere is a Queerious Speculem, a crystal ball which is usable by both clerical- and magic-using-types,

The gnarled staff is one of three Theraic Staves; it has the power to lift diseases and curses,

The plain wooden bowl is a fabled Lentive Demitasse--a Cup of Healing--any Holy Water splashed from it upon wounds will heal 2-7 hit points.

The Tome is a spell book containing the full set of 3rd level clerical-spells.

Josiane can't imagine the Sisters of Mercy wouldn't want all of these wondrous items, but in truth their brief wasn't very specific. It is a something of a dilemma--but for now, at least, the Sisters are a good way off, in Ket.

Additional items of interest are:
the four bottles marked "X" thru "XXXXX" are acids (1, 2, 4, or 5 dice strength).

The collection of research papers taken from the Infirmary can be used to research a further clerical spell (of a healing nature).
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by sully » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:15 am

Dorgan scratches his beard (now freshly trimmed and washed!)

"Mebbe the Staff can lift the curse on Olaf? I dunno. If not, we can ask the Elves if'n they got a cleric that kin do it. And mebbe we can use that ball ta find the Sisters and see if'n they're still alive?"
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by Tonneau » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:50 am

sully wrote:Dorgan scratches his beard (now freshly trimmed and washed!)

"Mebbe the Staff can lift the curse on Olaf? I dunno. If not, we can ask the Elves if'n they got a cleric that kin do it. And mebbe we can use that ball ta find the Sisters and see if'n they're still alive?"
"And maybe we can smoke this pipe and think about, eh my good dwarf?" replies Gustave to Dorgan's musings, while pulling Rufus' pipe and longbottom weed from his pack, "I think it is the ideal send-off for our lost comrade - it was his weed after all."
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by sully » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:53 am

Dorgan smiles and will take any proffered pipe.

"Don't I owe you some gold, my friend? It's been so long, but I'm fairly sure I borrowed some coin back in Ket, during happier times. You oughtta collect now, while I got it on me."
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by danhem » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:21 am

Ulric examines the Queerious Speculem with great interest.

"A fascinating device. If only I could have more time to study it; perhaps I could reach the Sisters with it?"

"These other things are rather mundane. Perhaps the elves would like to purchase them? Or do we save some of them for the Sisters if we can get into Ket?"

OOC: Other stuff

The Grell Lair :
A tiny Enigma on a bracelet,
A walking staff topped with an Enigma (being the key to the Reliquary door) (This we should keep)
A censor,
two tiny daggers,
two broach pins,
a small prayer book,
a pouch of dry tea,

The Burned Out Chapel
A 12" silver plated, and etched with Holy prattle.
An 18" tall, silver plated, and etched candelabra fashioned to resemble the Enigma of Thuul.

The Reliquary:
A silver basin
A fancifully decorated staff
A great (as in large and thick) book.

Return to “Hinterlands”