The Third Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:08 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

Dougal stares into the darkness of the pit for a long minute, the only sound reaching his ears being the constant slow dripping of water. His eyes glaze over and suddenly he has a vision of crashing waves against ancient stone steps...

a circle of monks in brown rough spun cloth, hoods pulled far over their heads, chant in an ancient language...

voices rise and fall as the surf while the monks draw a circular design on the stone using fat sticks of chalk...

a glimpse of a face under a hood reveals large, bulbous eyes and wide flat lips...

As the voices reach a peak, the loud screeching of something unworldly carries across the bay, making Dougal's spine shiver. He suddenly blinks his eyes awake and returns to the dungeon, his feet precariously touching a familiar circular design chalked onto the floor. A bead of sweat drips off his nose and falls into the pit. Then he steps back with the shake of his head and lets out a long sigh.

Dougal moves to the nearest wall and leans against it, sliding down to the cavern floor. "I think I need a minute..."
Haha... hey, wait a second. On brand?
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 1633
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am
Location: San Diego, Ca

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:53 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

Kiplyn would hurry back towards the group after peering into the darkness of the side tunnels. One look at Dougal is enough to tighten his jaw. "Something not right here, not right at all. Maybe we should move on, and quick like."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:20 am

Re: The Third Adventure

Well said! agrees Tet, suddenly reconsidering his crazy notion of feeding whatever monster might be down there. Let's hoof it!
Tet feels no specific connection with the occult, and his player is a "rules geek" who is interested (in terms of testing the system) to see what might unfold with some players in and some players out.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post by kipper » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:04 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

"Easy to say we should go, but someone needs to choose which way." Dame Simonetta interjects. "Come on, Dougal, we'll all go north."

She reaches out an arm to pull Dougal back up to his feet, then she begins heading down the North exit, seeing if it does in fact open up into another cavern.

Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post by mushgnome » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:11 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

I can hear you up there talking. If you're going to abandon me, can you at least have the decency to pee on me first? You probably have to go to the bathroom by now. Don't let it go to waste. All that warm, salty water...
Map update to the North coming soon...

Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by acodispo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:28 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

mushgnome wrote:I can hear you up there talking.
:o :lol:

Willie jumps when he hears the voice again. He tries not to listen to it.
"North! north is good! Let's go!"
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]

Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post by mushgnome » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:20 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

Turn 17

Wait! Don't go! If you bring me water I promise I will totally make it worth your while. Anything you desire: treasure, magic, secrets. Don't leeeeave meeeeeee....

OOC: If anybody wishes to further speak to, micturate upon, or otherwise interact with, the Mystery Creature down the well, let me know and I'll insert it into the narrative. Otherwise...


The northern spoke of the wheel leads to a large, comfortable natural cavern that takes a full turn to map and explore. The air here is dry and still. The noteworthy feature of this area is a feeling of sadness and nostalgia that seems to permeate the darkness. Dame Simonetta's lantern casts a cheery little bubble of light, but the shadows it casts have a faint feeling of regret and melancholy like the Portuguese call saudade. There is minimal flora and fauna here: some straggly lichens and a few tired-looking bugs. If you tried to step on a cockroach, instead of scurrying away, it would probably shrug in resignation and say eh, go ahead, what's the point of it all.

There are exits to the west, north, northeast, east, and southeast.

From the distance to the south can faintly be heard the huffing and puffing, ranting and raving, of the Thing Down the Well. Something about a 'Decanter of Endless Water' and 'the average Hobbet contains 20 liters of fluid.'

Image

Full size image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/d9DWM49czwFwMNiZ7

Posts: 1633
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am
Location: San Diego, Ca

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:16 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

Kiplyn would helpfully point towards the right side of the cavern. "Sure are a lot tunnels down here, not sure what all those noises were back there but alls well that ends well."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]

Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:44 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

Dougal points northeast and says, "That passage looks the widest..." He heads that direction, unless someone has something better in mind.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by acodispo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:26 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

"Yes, northeast looks good to me. Let's get out of here, it's not very cheery."

Willie scrupulously avoids stepping on any lackadaisical insect specimens...
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.