Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by doctorx » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: Out Of Character

I like the idea of clearing a road to Maine, but, given Gallaine's dire warnings of peril to the Sisterhood, and given that we need them to restore Olaf, we might want to give thought to some sort of rescue mission, although we should see what the Globe can tell us first.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:41 pm

I'm kinda surprised the whole group hasn't jumped at the opportunity to chase "the greater arms of more ancient times" :D

Especially considering the Gholums...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:08 pm

I agree with doctorx, all of Highbough's decisions have been consistent with the meta-game goal of getting Olaf's level drain restored. If that's off the table as our primary goal (it's been steering our actions for what, almost a year??), then frankly, in-character, he doesn't really care about the fate of Ket... he would be just as happy to mooch whatever aid we can from the Elves, abandon the Sisters (surely the holy relics can do just as much good in the hands of Josiane the Saint vs. locked away in a nunnery?), then head in the opposite direction of the huge dangerous army, in search of easier loot, maybe an unlooted crypt where magic weapons are rumored to be buried. ;)

We'll know more once we scry.

Highbough has the instruction manual for the golems. Given the new information that has come to light, he plans to use some of his down-time here to study it for clues, maybe they have a secret weakness?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:33 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:I'm kinda surprised the whole group hasn't jumped at the opportunity to chase "the greater arms of more ancient times" :D

Especially considering the Gholums...
Well, at least ONE halfling head is interested in that (can't always speak for Mondes)!
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by coffee » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:17 pm

doctorx wrote:I like the idea of clearing a road to Maine, but, given Gallaine's dire warnings of peril to the Sisterhood, and given that we need them to restore Olaf, we might want to give thought to some sort of rescue mission, although we should see what the Globe can tell us first.
This is the avenue Dieter would most likely pursue. He owes Olaf that much, if nothing else. He wasn't impressed by the Sisters as such, but they are far and away better to have around than the snorks.

And yes, he would be interested in the weapons to which Gallaine alludes.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by sully » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:26 pm

We need food.

No joke. We need to secure a supply of food or we're not going to accomplish any of our goals.

Now, we can assume that the Elves will be happy to supply food for us, but they're going to want some coin. We have a little but not much. If we run out of money, then there are going to be strings attached to the food supply. Anyone feel comfortable doing what the Elves want us to do?

So... if we don't want to spend our days running errands for Elves in return for chow, we need to find some money quickly.

Which is why I suggest we go back to the monastery and clean it out. We know there's a vein of silver down below. If we can secure that, we have some cash flow to pay for our grander schemes.

Goal 1a. for Dorgan is to learn more of the current whereabouts of the Sisters of Mercy. Getting Olaf back to full health is important to Dorgan.
Goal 1b. is finding some of these "greater arms of more ancient times".
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by Eris » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:55 pm

Olaf wants his "health" back...his player wants his XP back... :) ...so, he wants to pull the Mother Superior and her nuns out out of their predicament. He's also interested in these mighty weapons of old, and raiding Goblin strongholds appeals to him, too. :)
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:01 am

So now that you'll have supplies and basic kit taken care of, you just need to decide between you what you want to do next.

I'll work on Gallaine's map tonight (which might just mean some additional markup on your existing Hinterlands map).

Bearing in mind it is okay by me if you want to split into two groups to tackle two goals simultaneously... you might arrange a rendezvous to rejoin later...? Or something else?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:54 am

GOOOAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!

Wen runs once around the council j/k
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by danhem » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:10 am

Looks like we caught a break.

I vote for heading to the goblin strongholds, doing some damage, and taking their stuff. Drawing the goblin army away from Ket seems like the best course of action. Taking them head on may not be the best plan given what we've learned.

Going after the ancient weapons sounds appealing, but time is of the essence. Plus is sounds like it won't end well given our hosts description of the spirits.

I would like to spend one or two more days trying to figure out the crystal ball.

Ok, time to start filling my pack with waybread. Three weeks worth should do it.

Return to “Hinterlands”