Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Re: Out Of Character

Yes Rufus told us before he died that he knew a way into the city, alas he died.

Yes Mads Cold Iron Axe... Seems magic to me :)
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:20 pm

It's too late now---Dorgan already let the cat out of the bag---but if Highbough had been more of a "team player" he might have cautioned the other "insignificant" party members (he didn't mean it as an insult! just a statement of fact ;)), NOT to trust the wood elves so quickly and spill the beans about such topics as: where we hide our treasure, the presence of a Guore, the location of our secret golem-building lab, the fact we have a goblin butler, etc.

Let them think we are noble, goblin-hating underdogs, and the Elves won't be able to help rooting for us, it's in their DNA. Highbough plans to touch upon several points in his speech appealing why they should help us (but in order for it to work, it is necessary for them to believe he is who is is trying to appear to be).
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by sully » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:10 pm

mushgnome wrote:...spill the beans about such topics as: where we hide our treasure
We have treasure?
mushgnome wrote:...spill the beans about such topics as: the location of our secret golem-building lab
It's a statue-building lab until you figure out how to power one without a Marrowstone. Dorgan ain't signing on to steal any more of those.
mushgnome wrote:Let them think we are noble, goblin-hating underdogs, and the Elves won't be able to help rooting for us, it's in their DNA
We are noble, goblin-hating underdogs... Except for Josiane, I guess, but she gets a pass for being so nice to everyone.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by Eris » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:45 pm

ehiker133 wrote:The ability to bless water, thus making it holy?

:D
Actually, that would be a good one, and not just because of the bowl. A Holy Warrior should be able to do something "holy"...like make holy water. Um, maybe Jos pees holy water. :)
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:05 pm

This talk of golden showers has me thinking, what would be a great weapon against the goblins is if we can figure out a way to spritz those jugs of acid in a directed stream. I am thinking something like the bicycle-pump gadget Vito Corleone uses to water his tomatoes. A shot to the eyes would stop a charging warg in its tracks for sure, and probably spill the rider! If I remember correctly, they max out in strength at 5 X's, which implies to me maybe 5d6 damage? A potent weapon!

Perhaps the Elves have a craftsman who could make such a thing for us. Who is good at designing that kind of thing, a job for Dorgan perhaps? I am picturing a cannister made of non-reactive material to hold the acid, a nozzle to aim at the opponent, and a pump-piston to create hydraulic pressure. Highbough would volunteer to engineer such a wicked device, but he's going to be busy researching as many damage-dealing spells as he can muster, for the benefit of the whole party, as well as his own amusement. :D
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:29 pm

Who here has two thumbs and is NOT talking about golden showers?

This guy.

Desmond was thinking of holding on to his vial of acid in case it was useful for disabling a lock or bars on a window or door or some such thing...
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by doctorx » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:24 pm

Eris wrote: maybe Jos pees holy water. :)
:o :oops: :x

Whatever did she see in him..?

( :D )

Post by doctorx » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Regarding unclaimed loot, Josiane would like to claim the tiny Enigma on a bracelet if no-one minds.

She will wear it in honour of the memory of her murdered Once-Sister... :cry:

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:34 pm

ehiker133 wrote:I agree with Sully. We need to upgrade our weapons, especially since several things we've bumped into in the last year (month "in game") have required magical weapons to hit.
Some monsters are said to be "invulnerable to normal weapons".
Other monsters are said to be "hit only by magical weapons".

Whether these are synonymous is left to the referee's discretion.

Heroes (4 HD fighters) are "heroic" which means they are "super-normal", so even a "normal" weapon counts as a "super-normal" attack in the hands of a hero, so heroes can strike monsters "invulnerable to normal weapons" even with normal weaponry.

Whether a hero could strike those monsters "hit only by magical weapons" with a normal weapon is open to interpretation. In other words, I'll have to think about that :shock:
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:40 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:I agree with Sully. We need to upgrade our weapons, especially since several things we've bumped into in the last year (month "in game") have required magical weapons to hit.
Some monsters are said to be "invulnerable to normal weapons".
Other monsters are said to be "hit only by magical weapons".

Whether these are synonymous is left to the referee's discretion.

Heroes (4 HD fighters) are "heroic" which means they are "super-normal", so even a "normal" weapon counts as a "super-normal" attack in the hands of a hero, so heroes can strike monsters "invulnerable to normal weapons" even with normal weaponry.

Whether a hero could strike those monsters "hit only by magical weapons" with a normal weapon is open to interpretation. In other words, I'll have to think about that :shock:
Ahhh... that... clarified things?

So, just to be safe, we should upgrade. :)
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”