Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:18 am

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Carc's point of view:

[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:50 pm

Good sir! If I have to spend time in civilization, Noh stutters getting the word out, then this is a wonderful place to do so! As hobbetish as one can get than you for the welcome. The coffee sounds good, and while I love mushrooms, I have eaten them pretty much daily these past weeks, so no need to add anything extra. A friend of mine recommended your johnnycakes and that is what I am looking forward to. Noh adds a smile, or tries to unaccustomed to such niceties, but wanting to show Frederick that he appreciates the conversation and welcome.
Do I have any mushrooms or berries or etc? I'm assuming yes, but not sure. I'd definitely share with Frederick if so! As a token of his good will.
Noh will also ask about bird food/treats of sorts... just in case and to have some on hand, but that can wait until later in the conversation, if there's a good opportunity.
PS I recognize that tavern map!
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mushgnome » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:26 am

As Frederick throws a pat of butter on the griddle, he says, "Johnnycakes... so you want to be an Adventurer? Be my guest, but you won't make it long down there on your own. If you want my advice, your best bet is to team up with an established party."
Hooray for creative commons! :)

Noh specified "Noh walks fast enough toward the House of Pancakes to beat the dark, but so fast that he might miss any interesting animals or plants he could find along the way," so I'll allow him 1 wild edible. 1d6 = juniper berries!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:54 pm

"I am not looking forward to being out of the woods," Noh sighs, "but I follow where the path takes me." His stomach grumbles as he smells the cooking, and he chuckles. "Maybe my stomach won't miss the diet of the woods though, I do have these," he offers up the juniper berries, "no need to add them to my meal, but mayhap you, or your family, would like them. Are there any established parties that I can currently join?" Then he leans in, for a better sniff and so that he does not have to yell over any hubbub, "also, I'm guessing when you say 'down there' then this isn't somewhere one can bring an animal companion?"
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:43 am

Frederick says, "Thank you for the juniper berries! I know just what to do with them. If you pass back this way, and the timing is right, I will knock your socks off with an old family recipe. I am sorry, but I cannot give you any 'spoilers' about other Adventurers. There are RULES, you know. But I will say (wink wink) that I don't think you'll have to wait long. Be patient. You ask about an 'animal companion'? I would say quite the contrary: so long as it's not scared of the dark, an animal companion could be a big help to you, down in the caves, Noh’won. Yes, that's right, I know your name, Noh'won the Wiser. We met once, when you were just a child. Back then, my life's mission was to wander the land and spark the spirit of Adventure in the hearts and minds of promising young hobbets. I remember your wisdom and your strong connection to Nature. You had an unusual pet back then; remind me what kind of animal it was?"

Noh looks past Frederick and sees a worn-out old axe mounted on the wall, with a plaque that says 'Chopper.' Noh thinks to himself, that's right, I do remember: When I was a kid, an axe-juggler passed through my hometown and entertained the local children. What was the name of that childhood pet?

Post by rredmond » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:07 pm

"I'll be back this way," Noh says with a laugh, "the call of the forest is too powerful. And if your food tastes as good as it smells, then I'll for sure be back! I don't know much about civilization and it's rules anymore, but," Noh stretches, "I can abide if need be. As far as my raven friend, I don't think the dark will worry him, but not having space for him to fly worries me for him."
After hearing Frederick's question about the pet, Noh smiles, "Spot! I think about that lizard often. Frightened the heck out of others, but he was a good friend... if somewhat slow when we were walking through the woods. Once he got bigger than my pa, and a little bite-y, I had to set him free in the nearby swamp - hardest thing for both of us. I haven't had a bond like that since, though Carc brings on those good feelings again and is looking to be a good companion."
Assuming I'm good to go on making the backstory up on the fly. ;)

Post by mushgnome » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:47 am

Frederick sets down a butter dish, a maple syrup dispenser, and a steaming mug of coffee. The 'coffee' is made from roasted dandelion root. It has a savory aroma and a slightly salty mouthfeel. The pancakes are brown on one side; Frederick flips them over on the griddle, three each potato and keen-wah. "Your bird will take emotional cues from you. If you are calm and relaxed, then he will be calm and relaxed. He is welcome to perch on the coatrack by the fireplace (if you want to start acclimating him to close quarters)."

Post by rredmond » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:53 pm

"You are a peach Frederick! When I get this adventuring itch out of my system, I'll have to come back and give your gardens some extra attention and help them grow," Noh says, "and thank you for the use of your coatrack, I was just going to open a window and call him in for his safety anyway. Never know when any tweens with a stone might try their luck with him." Noh will happily finish his meal, when it comes and then call in Carc.

"Carc, my friend, come in where it's warm and safe," he'll say with a wave at the raven. Once he can get the birds attention, he'll bring him over to the coatrack. "Carc this is Frederick, Frederick this is Carc, the smartest raven of the woods and township!"

Post by mushgnome » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:15 am

Sorry for the slight delay. Update coming soon...

Post by rredmond » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:25 am

All good. I totally don’t mind the delay. And I’m really enjoying the game.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”