(082) The Darkness Below


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:40 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

mgtremaine wrote:Bring it on... err um but I hope it's a Nerf Plushy Monster

That's awesome. I'll be sure to add those to the tables :)
FWIW, has anyone checked the OD&D wilderness encounter tables lately? They are pretty hardcore. Just sayin' ...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1606

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Who is going to drop their bag of coins when we run away?
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp ?/?, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:18 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Fried's watch passes slowly and with a growing sense of unease, but without incident. The night is cool and mostly clear; the tinkling stars and half moon casting an eerie blue across the broad terrain. When Fried can stay awake no longer he wakes the gruff Karl for his watch.

Karl is well accustomed to the routine, and after rousing himself settles in... quietly, slowly he grows accustomed to the sounds of the night; his fellows exhaling and grunting in their exhausted sleep; fat moths buzzing by; an Owl hooting; bats twitching almost imperceptibly as they feast upon the insects unseen in the sky. Once, he hears a wolf baying in the distance, but it was far off and doesn't cry again... Satisfied that all is normal, Karl decides to stretch his legs for a bit.

He stands. And then notes a sudden silence.

He senses something behind him; spins about to see nothing; then hears fast wings above! And immediately senses a weight of rushing air coming down on him...
Surprise check 1d6=6. Bang.

Read this after my next post:
Okay, so what cometh?

1d8=8; so that's... Dragons. Holy Shit.
1d12=6. Right then; make that Golden Dragons!
Number 1d4=1
Size 1d6=1 small
Age 1d6=2 young.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:43 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

The dragon lands with thump that knocks Karl off his feet in a cloud of dust and twigs, and immediately wakes his fellows.

"Salutations, Karlsen Friedrich Schmidt," intones the horse-sized serpent in the Drakus Aurelian tongue, gracefully folding her wings back "I thought I recognised your scent, preposterous though it seemed that you might be out here in the middle of the night. Yet here you are!"

To his befuddlement Karl not only understands the dragon-speak... he recognises her, though she is considerably larger than the hound-sized creature that he recalls as Gazzandrea...
Err... what now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1606

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

is the... is that a dragon? Is the dragon talking to Karl? It isn't eating him, in any case. Wondering if he's picked up some sort of brain sickness in the goblin hold, Leudigar let's his feverish hallucinations play out...


What now??? Got me, mate. But I'm hoping Godzilla shows up soon to give us a hand...

Who is Gazzandrea?
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp ?/?, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 594

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:02 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Karl stares in frank amazement.

"Gazzandrea?! 'Little' Gazzandrea?" He shakes his head and stifles a laugh. "My, how you've grown!"

He approaches, and (if she permits!) puts his arm around her long graceful neck and gives her a hug.

"I have to say, shocked though I am, I am very glad to see you!"
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1468

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Gold Dragon! Wow
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 3/6, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 212

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:28 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Any bets on how soon the Unicorn shows up?
waysoftheearth wrote:Karl Fredrich Schmidt speaks Gothic (man), Illiberal (common) and two randomly determined Lawful tongues: 2 # d19 → [2, 18] so Golden Dragon and Unicorn. Err, if that ain't cool, what is??
(link)
[f=4]Brother Walfried (M 9", AC 2/4, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) plate+helm, warhammer+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1154

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

The Herald disbelieves the Gold Dragon.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+lantern, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 1606

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

coffee wrote:"Gazzandrea?! 'Little' Gazzandrea?" He shakes his head and stifles a laugh. "My, how you've grown!"


Is that... are you paraphrasing Episode II here??
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp ?/?, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software