(076) Off the Beaten Track


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:56 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

ehiker133 wrote:Leudigar quickly makes his way back to the others to share his discovery. He leads them to the hidden stairway and begins descending, taking the lead.


The Herald approves of this course of action.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 1506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:06 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Alfwin takes a quick look at the guard post as they go by. "We should make this a retreat and rally point should things go badly. It has good view and is somewhat defensible."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1296

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Boggs says, "Good idea, Alfwin. If any of us get separated or wounded, this guard post would make a good spot to hole up."

The rat catcher would naturally be on the lookout for vermin tracks and other signs of life as he passes through the area.
User avatar

Posts: 16509

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:46 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Hezmog's forces make themselves known at last!

Action is afoot; the ref dices up a worthy encounter:

d20 → 12, so non-players (argh!),
d6 → 3, so three of them,
d6 → 3, so it's fighting-men,
3 # d3 → [1, 1, 3], so Fighter, Fighter, Myrmidon,
d6 → 5, so 5 pages,
2d6 → 8, so 8 men-at-arms.

The ref dices to determine if the players have surprised the non-players: d6 → 2, so no.
The ref dices to determine if the non-players have surprised the players: d6 → 6, so yes!
The ref dices for the encounter distance: d6 → 3, so 30 yards.

It's late here; I'll sleep on that and provide the in-character details tomorrow...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16509

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:38 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Just as Leudigar comes trotting back along the ridge to join the main company their comes a sudden shout from over the company's left shoulder. Everyone near jumps to turn about a see a body of soldiery flinging off camouflage-cloaks to spring from concealed positions along the ridge, closing to array themselves in a broad arc about the company's rear flank. By what sorcery a mixed score of Men and Hobgoblins managed to spring their ambush from so close, you'll never know. Like as not, the company were so busy looking over the lip of the escarpment for a way down, too little attention was given to their left.

"Who goes there?!" demands an imposing figure near the center of the line; a thickly built Man with green-brown and black painted over his skin, and twigs and grass still protruding from his mail and belts even as brown dust billows off his cloak.

Half of them are snarling Hobgoblins with padded jacks, helmets, shields and armed with clubs and maces. Half the Men have crossbows, loaded and pointed directly at the company in a twitchy, threatening manner. The remaining Men wear mail, helms and shields and carry swords or grim axes.
Combat Turn 1

The ref dices to determine how the non-player company of 16 fighting-men will react to the players, apparently being a somewhat smaller group of various armed Men (albeit with a few "Dwarfs", including Wetzel and Dopey). This being a fateful throw: 2d6 - 1 → 6, (fortuitously) an uncertain result.

The non-players use their surprise segment to ready weapons as they draw up into an advantageous flanking position, within easy melee distance.

The players find themselves in a comparatively disorganised state. Those in the rear of the marching order are nearest the interlopers, those at the front--and Leudigar--are farthest from them.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Alfwin caught off guard looks around when the voice speaks and sees the hobgoblins and then the men. Pause....

"Well now, that's embarrassing, you fellows are certainly quiet and watchful!" Alfwin speaks in common.
"No reason for alarm we are just passing through, we come from the refugee camps, we decide we had enough of that life. All those folks telling us what to do and wanting us to join their army. Not us lot, no we headed out looking for some place quieter."

Alfwin says all this in a easy manner, he not lying of course and tries his bet to de-escalate the situation or at least buy the fighters sometime to react.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1296

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Boggs does his best to look small and innocuous, like a hired porter or guide.
Last edited by mushgnome on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

Posts: 217

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 am

Location: Montreal, QC

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Dopey eyes the ground to spot a smooth stone, suitable for tossing.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Leudigar bides his time, remaining quiet while waiting to see what negotiations bring. In the mean time, he tries to appear tired and weak and not at all a danger to anyone.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 837

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:55 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Though in the rear (now front) rank, and closest to the newcomers, Wetzel has no trouble looking innocuous, small, and out-of-his-depth -- this is the way he looks most of the time. He whirls about in surprise, clutching his spear in both hands.

When he sees the Hobgoblins his dark eyes sparkle a bit.

He can be seen to begin to sweat rather profusely, and breathe heavily through his nose. But he shifts the spear to one hand and seems to relax his stance a bit, though he looks anything but unconcerned.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software