(076) Off the Beaten Track


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 747

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Wetzel eagerly spends an hour or three learning some dungeoncraft from Boggs -- his climbing experience has been all above the ground in the branches of green things, after all!

After that, he spends the rest of the day hunting, hiding in a tree or brush along whatever track looks most promising, with arrow at the ready. He tries not to stray too far from camp (perhaps within loud calling distance).

Returning to the camp that evening, he shyly ventures his opinion: "I'm eager to press forward, though I don't know much about getting in to such a place. Perhaps we should look for a back door?"
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:24 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"Wetzel , I think you're right. We better not just go up to the front gate and knock. They might let is in that way, but I doubt they'd let us out alive." Gunter says with a chuckle.

"Once we get in the right neighborhood, we'll have to look the layout over and figure out how to get into the stronghold. It might be easier to get into the mines than the stronghold, especially if there are multiple entrances and I bet there are."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 189

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 am

Location: Northern California

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"More than one way out means more than one way in. We may need to watch their movements for an evening to learn their weaknesses."

Once back to the camp, Faengol will mentally measure up the dwarves and the hobbet to see how big of a hole they might be able to fit into...
User avatar

Posts: 1504

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:17 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Alfwin sits nearby staring at the clouds overhead, he softy adds "How close can we get? There are those here that have good vision at night perhaps a bit if spy craft would help figure out if there are backdoors, side doors, or such. I don't know much about goblin mines and dungeon but I agree we should not walk in the front."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1286

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:12 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"Let's approach cautiously and find a secret entrance," agrees Boggs. "The rats have to get in somehow."
User avatar

Posts: 353

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:44 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"Indeed, we'd be best served by watching the comings and goings of the fortress for a bit, from a safe distance, and maybe getting a sense for how well guarded it is. Perhaps we can lure some of them out into the woods, into an ambush.

"Mind you, I expect it's more than just goblins in there."
Menno spits.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:37 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

While the scouts were away most of the day Gunt the Dwarf Fighter has ample opportunity to rove in search of fuel for the fire and, despite the sparse, stunted vegetation, gathers a respectable pile of the stuff. Meanwhile Wetzel the Fighter learns some basic belaying from Boggs the Dwarf Mouser, and later tries his hand at the hunt once more, but also his afternoon is wasted. There is scarcely a rabbit or even a bird to be seen in these parts, let alone any viable game.

The passes slowly, but prior to Faengol and Leudigar returning with the anticipated news.

Faengol the Elf Medium reckons Hobbit to be a bit of three feet tall, and dwarfs approaching four feet tall.
The ref rolls for Wetzel's hunt d6 → ?

More importantly, the ref rolls for a random encounter this day: d6 → ?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:13 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Leudigar and Faengol have already traveled far this day, so a night's rest will be well appreciated.

Gunt's fire keeps the first watch roster warm as they take the night duties once again; Brother Alfwin and Wetzel the Fighter followed by Boggs the Dwarf Mouser and Leudigar the Tracker (who is young enough to handle it), followed by Karl the Fighter and Brother Herald with the dawn watch.

The new day portends bright spring sunshine...
The ref dices for an encounter this night: d6 → ? and the company's run of luck holds.

The ref dices for the morrow's weather: 2d6 → 4 so clear.

What orders have you for turn 4?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 704

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"I think we should approach with caution, during the brightest part of the day," Karl says."They don't see well in the day, and we might see something to our advantage."
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1758

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"I shared a similar thought with Faengol on our way here, Karl," Leudigar nods in agreement, having described the fortress and surrounding area to the best of his abilities. "Though game has been sparse here, I think we might have better luck near the lakes and forests a few miles from the fortress. A good water supply will draw all kinds of creatures to the area."

"As far as secondary entrances goes, I was wondering if Boggs or Gunter might be able to suss out some locations where they would be, with their knowledge of stone and mountain, while some of us watch the main entrance and walls for activity."
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software