(070) Dnulnefluv


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1501

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:09 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Wen complets his survey of likely mirror options and then turns his thoughts to the battle field. "We need to search down there for some means of getting us back to the Abbey. Can we make it unseen?"
Since you didn't mention anything ways I assume there is no obsidian or onyx in the area visible nor any water sources. So I'll move on to what we can scavenge.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 971

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:11 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Highbough will attempt to activate the Ring and return to the Abbey.

His first action will be a visual inspection of the Ring to see if it has star-runes matching those in the Abbey-Ring. If the position of the stars seems "off" then he will stop and study further--he doesn't want to travel to some unknown third destination on the other side of the galaxy!

Second he will test his dagger's reflective properties (away from the Ring) to determine if he can fit any of his comrades in the field-of-reflection. If so, he'll take Wen first priority, and let the humans choose among themselves.

Third he will ask the others if they have any revisions to his plan, or if they have any messages they want him to carry through to the other side?

Finally, if there are no objections from the party, he will attempt to activate the Ring by replicating his previous actions on the other side (using the dagger as the mirror).
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:48 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Wen tramps through the prickling hot wind, up the dune to where Dieter is in order to survey the battlefield on the plain between the Ring crater and the nearest fortress. He notices that, although it is fiercely hot, his step seems easy and light. As he approaches Dieter's position he lays down and crawls up to the ridge so as not to be seen. The wind is lashing and stings our heroes with a thousand tiny shards of sand as they squint to overlook the field...

Wen identifies several runs of low dunes that might conceal observation from others on the plain--but it's clear as day that nothing can move on the field without being spotted from the high vantage of the imperious looking fortress that looms over it.

Dieter has been keeping an eye on that structure for almost half and hour now, and hasn't spotted any movement of gates or along the walls--or of any kind at all!
mgtremaine wrote:I assume there is no obsidian or onyx in the area visible nor any water sources.

Correct. There is nothing but red, hard pan sand punctuated by occasional outcroppings of the bubble-pock-surfaced ocher rocks; neither has any kind of reflective property.

There is no water, as far as you've seen, and nor do the spider-inky clouds hold much promise...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Meanwhile, Highbough takes account of the Ring Runes, squinting up at it through the hard wall of wind. He is encouraged to note a number of familiar runes on the outer ring now; Astraea, Estrella, Izar he glimpsed before. Now that he knows to read them in reverse, he recognises also the runes for Isoz, Sunnon, and Zon in addition.

Ah, the sweet relief when he reads the sign of Zon! She who rises and sets each day unbidden, whose silent but consistent companionship down through the decades was rather rudely pulled out from under Highbough's feet less than an hour ago. There she is, Zon, fittingly positioned at the apex of the Ring. The runes on the inner ring remain unrecognizable, however.

This confirmed, the old Elf hobbles a dozen or so paces to the flank of the Ring--his Cloak of Elemental Night flapping like a giant bat in the wind--before testing the reflective nature of his dagger. The blade is not much more than an inch wide at the base, and tappers to a keen point. If angled carefully he can reliably see himself--a rather intense, gaunt figure with silver hair flying about him--and part of one other person over his shoulder, if they are still and near enough at hand...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 658

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:29 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

If the old elf has to go back by himself, Dieter will understand. These things are team efforts, and he knows the rest of the party will be doing their utmost to find a bigger mirror and reinforce his bridgehead.
And if he can take one other, it won't be Dieter; he and Olaf have about the best chance of survival as a team (in my opinion).
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 971

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:59 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Highbough utters a plea to whatever dark entities fill the role of "gods" in his life and hopes it works.
Is Wen going with him?
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:40 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

mushgnome wrote:Is Wen going with him?

Not unless he hurries back immediately to do so.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1501

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:47 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Wen would hurry back when he hears the HIghbough is ready to leave.
Wen better go since we can't get spells here.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:20 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Wen scurries back down the sand-blasted dune to join Highbough, Olaf, and Torben at the Ring. Dieter remains on watch at the ridge of the dune some 60 yards off.
So ends exploration turn five.
Turn six follows...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:44 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

As soon as Wen arrives, Highbough orders him to stand just there before the Ring, positions himself here, and then unsheathes his silvered blade so that he can gaze upon the reflection on its surface...

His old eyes burn copper-bright for an instant. The Ring upon the blade is not weathered stone, but a swirling, incandescent tunnel to infinity. The runes around it are fiery blue-green for that moment and Zon--at the apex--burns brightest!

vvvvvVVVVVVVVVVVWWHUMP!
This is the beginning of exploration turn six.

Ref dices to determine whether Wen will be affected; 1d6=6 so yes.

Highbough and Wen please acknowledge that you have read this post here.

You will re-enter play in thread 72 shortly...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software