Delve the Fourteenth

Makofan's Deep Dungeon Crawl PBP

Moderator: Makofan

Post by Makofan » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:12 pm

Re: Delve the Fourteenth

I forgot we had a hobbit with a ring of invisibility. Good premise for a book.

Are people in agreement with Franklin's plan, and if so, how far behind Franklin will they trail?

Post by merias » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:50 pm

Aldbane agrees, it is a solid plan to have Franklin scout ahead.

| I don't remember the jelly near the elevator, but while Franklin scouts ahead, we can stay a decent distance back from wherever the jelly was. |
Aldbane the Cleric (Level 5 MV 6" AC 2/3 HD 4 HP 18) plate +1, shield+2, helm, silvered war hammer, sling, staff of healing

Post by kipper » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:46 pm

I think once we determine if the elevator room is clear, we can wait there for Franklin to return. Franklin can then decide if he'll just scout one room and then return to report, or scout further before reporting back.

Post by mushgnome » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:48 pm

Franklin will play it relatively safe. We're not under any particular time pressure, no reason to take unnecessary risks. Sconces will stay behind.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Makofan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 pm

The party heads south, invisible Franklin a bit ahead (he has to stay close enough to the party that there is at least some light to see). Poking his head into the room, he sees at least two gelatinous dice slowly sweeping the room

Post by mushgnome » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 pm

Can Franklin see the entirety of the room, or is the other side out of view due to the lighting conditions? Does he see any other exits?

Franklin is sure he could sneak past the gelatinous dice no problem, but what would be the point? So he returns back to his friends and reports: "No sign of any scorpions, just two of those gelatinous dice we fought a while back. I can't imagine gelatinous dice would coexist in harmony with scorpions? Unless the gelatinous dice *are* the scorpions? Maybe they got polymorphed, or it's an illusion?!?" Franklin suddenly looks very nervous... then shrugs and says, "I guess we could try and blast them from a safe distance?"
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by kipper » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:41 pm

OOC:

map: https://campaignwiki.org/gridmapper.svg ... aurMadness , Level 3

I believe we are currently in "Room 20" and the jellies are in "Room 5" (the elevator room). So Franklin has not yet scouted the "giant scorpion" area.

It seems in order to proceed we will need to deal with the jellies. Unfortunately with no wizard in the party we will have to rely on flaming oil, unless anyone has a clever plan? I believe Maloof has two flasks of oil, I'm not sure about everyone else?

One alternative plan I can think of is to lure them out of the room and follow us as we circle around (via rooms 13, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6), hopefully losing them somewhere around room 9. The problem with that is that if they return to room 5 they could cut off our retreat from the giant scorpion area and we'd still end up having to deal with them. We could also bump into another monster in one of these rooms, in which case we'd have enemies both in front of us and behind us simultaneously!

The other option is to wait them out, but who knows how long that will take (hours? days?) where we would be subject to wandering monster checks.

Post by mushgnome » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:47 pm

OOC:

My bad on two points! Number one I thought we were at the scorpion room, number two I forgot we don't have Wiglaff's wands of cold and fire any more!

The hobbets are somewhat confident they could bring down 1 of the gelatinous dice with their combined missile fire, but 2 would be a stretch.

Post by merias » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:17 pm

Aldbane has five flasks of oil, so he is ok with the "burn them out" plan.
Aldbane the Cleric (Level 5 MV 6" AC 2/3 HD 4 HP 18) plate +1, shield+2, helm, silvered war hammer, sling, staff of healing

Post by coffee » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:16 pm

Rhod doesn't have any oil, but he'll be happy to throw some for somebody else, and then follow it up with sword.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Return to “Gorthaur's Madness”