(089) Moonlight Backtrack

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post by coffee » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

"Months?" Karl asks with a frown.

"Well, it if took months it was worth it, to be out of that place!"
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Posts: 2041
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

Before they head out, Leudigar again checks his pack to take measure of his possessions. He assumes food is going to be a priority and will likely slow them down some as they travel. So he will keep an eye out for game trails and signs of larger game animals as they move along, heading north towards Ket.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 16654
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:28 am

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

Having determined that north is as good a direction as any to strike out in, the company begin to contemplate to logistics of a night march across an unknown wilderness...
A couple of points to perhaps consider:
* Conventional wisdom says that travel by night is probably going to be more dangerous than by day. Not least because of the reduced visibility.
* Not sure which map the group is referring to, nor where on it you suppose you are?
* I don't recall the group was especially near to Ket when they were captured by the Elves.
* After being captured by the Elves, the group was "spirited away" to a concealed grove... Un-Amost... somewhere within X amount of riding time from where you were captured. How far could that have likely been?
* You do not, presently, appear to be at Un-Amost itself. So... how did you get here? Where is here relative to any recognisable landmark?
* What landmarks should be recognisable, and where are they?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Pace, FL

Post by Eris » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

As the group walks along, Freid comments,"The mountains should be a landmark they can see when the sun comes up, but that's all I can offer as to orienting ourselves."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Posts: 2041
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:04 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

Leudigar changes his thoughts.

"Without knowing where we are, and it being dark, we should consider making camp here until light. Then we can see if we can spot any known landmarks and go from there."
Hmmm... I guess somewhere I got the impression that the elves took the party back to elven territories. But maybe that was just an assumption.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Pace, FL

Post by Eris » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:46 am

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

"Yeah, but I'd prefer to put a mile or two between us and whatever was back there before we stop." Freid says, "Then find a quiet hollow and wait for daybreak."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post by coffee » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:08 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

"A mile or two wouldn't hurt," Karl says, "but we really have no way of knowing if we've left that behind or not.

"Either way, the walk will do us good."
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Posts: 2041
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

Leudigar agrees to walk for a mile or so before making camp.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am
Location: San Diego, Ca

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:03 am

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

Zem seems to happy just walking.... "What a troubling ordeal, let's get some miles under our feet."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 6 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=55]The Grey Company[/f]

Posts: 16654
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:28 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

The group decides to leave the rock-pool depression and strike out for a couple of miles...

They can't see far in the dark, misty night but form an impression of a broad, undulating plain punctuated by a series of rocky rises thatched with tough grasses, and shallow, sedgy gullies that seem to cultivate a light mist. The night is dark and close, with a cool but hesitant breeze touching them as they top the successive rises, although it isn't near enough to clear the misty atmosphere. It seems to be the small hours just after midnight... Leudigar spots signs of small mammals, perhaps Quolls or Hares, on the trek, but doesn't catch a glimpse of them himself. When they reach the next sheltered depression, after about an hour, the group decides they have gone far enough and settles down to camp.
The group decides to night march, so I'll make a monster check: 1d6=?

Okay, how do you want to handle the night stopover?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.