Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:17 am

Re: Out Of Character

Hmmm, I need to do some serious catching up on the XP awards!

Can someone (Beulerrr?) please remind me of all the encounters/treasures that have been had/taken since the battle with the goblin warg riders? :D

By my reckoning, since the warg battle you have...

1. Found Ket held against you,
2. Made it to the Elvish outpost of SouthWatch (and leveled up, had the archery contest, visited the Spirits of Wildwood),
3. Flown on Hippogriffs back to the Abbey,

From there you have had a very big day (so far):
4.a. Dieter and Desmond defeat five black robe sentries re-entering the abbey (3 slain, 2 retreated),
4.b. While the others defeated 22 wolves at the rear of the abbey (7 slain, 11 slept, 4 slain),
5. Then, with the alarm raised, you battled six werewolves (4 slain, 2 escape, and Gustave captured!),
6. Followed by an epic battle with the Tar Fiend!
7. Desmond went off alone for a bit and found some information and loot (I've just made thread 60 public),
8.a. Meanwhile, Dieter and Dorgan fell through a trapdoor to battle 17 shadows in the dark (9 slain, 8 turned). Resuced at the last moment by Josiane. Assisted by Armando.
8.b. Wen and Armando gathered some treasure from the shadows' pit.

Elsewhere in the world:
9. Helmut, Valorn, and Ashtad defeat an Ogre en route to the abbey.

Have I missed anything?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:06 am

waysoftheearth wrote:Hmmm, I need to do some serious catching up on the XP awards!

Can someone (Beulerrr?) please remind me of all the encounters/treasures that have been had/taken since the battle with the goblin warg riders? :D
Lessee...
- dozen or so wolves attacked when climbing the orchard trees
- number of extremely dangerous watch in black robes that Desmond and Dieter took out
- some werewolves? Not sure how many were killed... Two or three?
- laser-eyclops
- faerie in the privy? Or the silver cage, at least...
- two sacs silver coin
- a number of gems in the purple velvet lined box
- scroll, Ward Against Undead
- black leather book not yet examined by Josiane
- successfully disarming front door traps? :D
- Desmond's EEVILER twins (a successful retreat maneuver?)
- magical sword
- magical ring

Don't think the last two warrant XP, but I mention them in case they were not recorded in character sheets...
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:35 am

Dorgan, Highbough, and Wen went to see the Spirits of the Wildwood.

Wen used Gazeback to blowup the tar fiend ;)
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:38 am

mgtremaine wrote:
Tar fiend = laser eyclops! ;)
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:40 am

Thanks guys, I think I got all those :)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:19 am

Oh, most of 17 or so shadows!

Post by Eris » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:34 pm

mgtremaine wrote:Dorgan, Highbough, and Wen went to see the Spirits of the Wildwood.

And Olaf used the grapple hook and rope to tumble it off the wall...I think...and then got landed on. :D

Also, Torben won an archery contest with the Elf...that should be worth a few points of XP for him, surely!
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:03 pm

The way I figure it, most of the "story" awards are amply covered by the thousand post increments. Otherwise it would come down to my subjective evaluation of the worth of one specific piece of story compared to another, and that's never going to be an "exact science". All in all, I'm pretty happy with the "general story milestones"; they seem to have been keeping things ticking over thus far :)

Post by mgtremaine » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:34 pm

hear! hear! I actually love how that works out.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:05 pm

Eris wrote:"Well, splitting up in here is a bad idea, which we should know by now." Olaf says with a slight frown, "I think we should stick together as much as possible, but we can't leave the pilgrims outside, it's still dangerous out there."

"Is there any more of the ground level that we haven't already cleared out?" Olaf asks then adds, "If there is perhaps the rest of us should deal with that while Jos and her group deal with getting the pilgrims inside and into as safe a place as we can put them. Then meet back here?"
Given that there are now 14 players in game, I don't think two groups of seven is such a bad idea. You can cover more ground, and -- assuming confined underground passages etc.--having another seven people stuck in the back ranks won't necessarily be helpful in any case...

The key, in my opinion, is to be organised about any group split.

Return to “Hinterlands”