Delve the 10th

Makofan's Deep Dungeon Crawl PBP

Moderator: Makofan

Post by kipper » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:34 pm

Re: Delve the 10th

OOC: Personally I love to have combat maps, although they are a lot more work for the DM!

Now that the battle is over, Maloof continues on with his procedure to open the chest.

Post by mannclay » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:22 am

Makofan wrote:Rhod, Grampus and Aldbane team up on the last weasel, and manages to put it down

What did you think of having a map? Like it? Hate it? Don't care either way?
MECHANICS
Initiative: Party 4, Weasel 3
Rhod @Weasel, rolls 12 - hits for 5 dmg
Grampus @Weasel, rolls 11 - hits for 6 dmg, killing it
Aldbane @Weasel, rolls 6 - miss

OOC: totally digging the map. BTW, you homies are playing mad quick! loving the speed of the session.

Post by merias » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:59 am

Aldbane offers his staff of healing to anyone who needs it.
Map was great, it really helped visualize the combat.
Aldbane the Cleric (Level 5 MV 6" AC 2/3 HD 4 HP 18) plate +1, shield+2, helm, silvered war hammer, sling, staff of healing

Post by coffee » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:15 pm

I liked the map! For a sprawling battle like that, it was most welcome. But I wouldn't use it for every single encounter, like a couple of stray skeletons appearing at the back of the party and being summarily dispatched.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by Makofan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:18 pm

1) Looks like maps are good for messy combats, will keep that up in future
2) The following people took damage; they may want healing, they may want to wait. I went ahead and healed Sigmund

Aldbane 11/13
Grampus 14/18
Rhod 10/14
Franklin 8/10
Sigmund 0/5 --> 5/5

Post by Makofan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:26 pm

Maloof makes a detailed examination of the chest.
Are there any unusual marks or holes on the floor, walls, or ceiling around the chest? NO

Or on the chest itself?
NO

How does the chest open?
HINGES BACKWARD

Does it have a latch or a lock?
A SIMPLE LATCH

Is it made of wood, with metal lock/hinges?
YES

Are the hinges exposed?
NO

Are there carry-handles on the outside of the chest?
NO

Is the chest sitting flush against the wall, or out in the open?
OUT IN THE OPEN, ANGLED AWAY FROM TEH WALL

By "fairly sizeable" I'm thinking roughly 1m x 0.5m x 0.5m?
SOUNDS RIGHT

If anything looks suspicious, Maloof will cast Find Traps.
HE DECIDES NOT TO CAST FIND TRAPS

If everything looks fine, Maloof will first attempt to move the chest across the floor to see if anything happens (he will avoid standing in front of the chest, and will avoid using any carry-handles if present. Rather, he will lie on the floor and use his feet to push the chest. If this goes off smoothly (whether or not he is successful, the chest may be too heavy), he will attempt to open the chest by crouching to the side and using his mace to lift the lid. If there is some sort of latching mechanism which would require greater manual dexterity, he will attempt to use his wooden cross as a proxy to manipulate the lock/latch, again carefully crouching or lying as low and as far to the side as he is able while doing so.

AFTER MANY PRECAUTIONS, HE OPENS THE CHEST

The chest does not give off any surprises, and the bottom looks to be shallowly covered with a mix of gold and silver coins

Post by acodispo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:59 pm

Wiglaff claps Sigmund on the back. "That was a close one, Sigmund! I'm glad you're still with us. Thank the Ancients for Aldbane's healing.

"Phillippe! My armour!"

While the chest is being checked for traps, Wiglaff puts on his plate armour.

"Now did anyone see where that sneaky fellow Rhodan went? Everybody check their belongings & make sure he didn't steal anything. And once we've loaded up those coins, let's check out the door those weasel-riders came from."
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:56 pm

Franklin slices open one of the weasels so that Sconces can make a snack of its heart and liver. He's a good boy!

Franklin graciously accepts Aldbane's offer of healing and prepares to move westward into the Hobgoblin lair.

OOC: I love the map, thanks!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by kipper » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:34 pm

Maloof uses his mace to carefully prod and stir around the coins on the bottom, looking for any traps or other surprises underneath.

If nothing is discovered, he'll begin loading up his pack with coins (and allow anyone else to do so as well).

Post by mannclay » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:03 am

Biff makes an effort to stare at every face and start learning some names: "Soo...where to next, fellas?"

Return to “Gorthaur's Madness”