(04) The Cathedral

Waysoftheearth's Wyrmspear PBP

Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:45 am

Post by zygarti » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:59 am

Re: (04) The Cathedral

Flin prepares to throw his Axe at the Reverend in the event of a combat breaking out, but hopes that the more intelligent party members can work out a peaceful solution.
might've missed it but did you ever specify how many monks were in the room?
Flin Ireforge [Dwarf Myrmidon, Strong, MV 6′′, AC 5, HD 3, hp 15, FC 3 men/hero −1, SV F7, N].

Posts: 16877
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:38 am

Re: (04) The Cathedral

zygarti wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:59 am
might've missed it but did you ever specify how many monks were in the room?
Nobody asked so I've only generalised them as a small group.
I'll dice for them now: let's say there are 2d3=5 five of them, in addition to the Reverend.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post by Tonneau » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:35 am

Re: (04) The Cathedral

"Sir, if I may", interrupts Wraislin, suddenly amicable and humble, "but you did request our presence here after all", he explains, focusing his intention on the elder with eyes that are somehow larger than usual, and words which are unexplainably heavy and entangled with an ethereal something.

Then, in a more normal tone, "If I remember rightly, we were to address your unwanted pests below, so perhaps it is best if we are on our way?" He finishes with an uncharacteristically beatific smile.
Wraislin weaves the unspoken words of a charm person into his dialogue, bewitching the reverend (he hopes).
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Posts: 16877
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:28 am

Re: (04) The Cathedral

The reverend inhales mightily through his hawk nose, swelling his chest and shoulders in preparation for some forceful decree, but suddenly pauses to hear Raislin babble his aspartame petition.
Then he blinks.
"Nimroy? Is that you?" he asks incredulously, "Why didn't you say so, for Darkness sake? You had me worried a moment there. Ha!"

The Reverend signals the other monks to relax, which is just as well, because Witherun and Goldwen (at the rear) have just noticed another group of them on a mezzanine right behind/above the party, staring down at them hungrily.
"What are these pests you mentioned? You don't mean those damnable dwarfs do you?" the Reverend asks Raislin, slowing as his gaze shifts to the rest of the party "and who, pray tell," (his tone darkening) "are your... friends?"
An interesting situation arises: we have two opposed spell casters, casting spells at each other. Who's spell will happen first?

M&M p11 gives the most direct hint. It says the dexterity score "applies to both manual speed and conjuration. It will indicates the character's ... speed with actions such as firing first, getting off a spell, etc.". Holmes p20 likewise has: "the character with the highest dexterity strikes first" and "if the DM does not know the dexterity ... he rolls it on the spot" and "If dexterities are within 1 or 2 points of each other, a 6-sided die rolled ... and the higher score gains initiative -- the first blow" which all seems clear enough.

So let us dice 3d6 for each of Raislin and the Reverend to see whose prestidigitation will reign supreme in this moment:

Raislin 3d6=2,6,5=13.
The Revered 3d6=6,2,3=11.

It is a near thing (within 2 pips) so let the initiative die tell all:

Raislin: 1d6=6!
The Revered: 1d6=1 (splat! 6:1)

So Raislin's charm person spell will land first, but will the Revered succumb? Saving throw: 1d20=7 apparently he will.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post by Tonneau » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:18 pm

Re: (04) The Cathedral

"Yes, err...Nimroy indeed, yes" says Wraislin by way of reply, stepping forward now that his arcane mastery is once again confirmed by effect.

"My colleagues", he adds in something of a whisper and a dismissive waft of his hand, "are the necessary help as it were - I am sure you know how hard it is to find good help these days."

Returning to normal mumbled volume, he scratches at a smooth chin as if searching his memory, "Dwarfs was it, was it? right right...the brief was not so clear. Well if you might just show us the way we will get right to it"
"Nimroy" :-)
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Posts: 16877
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:17 am

Re: (04) The Cathedral

"Help, yhhhhess..." mutters the Reverend archly, eyeing the party up and down with clear distaste. The other monks are even more suspicious, but it seems they will defer to the Reverend's lead. For now.

"I hope you know what you're doing, Nimroy," says he, at length. Then, taking Raislin further into his confidence, he whispers closely, "I never did trust those expert treasure hunters. They're up to no good, mark my words. Unfortunately for us, Zul is obsessed with the Spear, and is wont to regard these dwarfs capable of locating it. If it exists at all." He pauses for a long moment, figuring the dark possibilities from every angle.... then suddenly snaps out of his reverie and waves the party toward an archway adjacent to the alter that leads deeper into the cathedral.

As the party follows his invitation and being to march by, the Reverend adds: "And Nimroy; I hope, for all ours sakes, that your... help... will prove more productive than McNavish's scoundrels!"
"I must apologise for this... riff raff", says Raislin with a dismissive waft of his hand in the general direction of the party, "Alas, they were the best I could do on short-notice. You know how difficult it is to find good help these days..." :lol:

Meanwhile, looking around for early guidance on Charm Person, I see the AD&D PHB has: the spell does not enable to caster to control the subject "as if it were an automaton", but the subject will regard the caster "as a trusted friend and ally to be heeded and protected" and that "any word from the caster will be viewed in its most favourable way".

So be it.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post by sully » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:14 am

Re: (04) The Cathedral

Thanis keeps his mouth shut and moves along with the rest of the party.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:45 am

Post by zygarti » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:05 am

Re: (04) The Cathedral

Flin can't keep his mouth shut.
"I'm awfully sorry sir but did you just say McNavish? Here?"
He attempts to look as friendly as possible.
Flin Ireforge [Dwarf Myrmidon, Strong, MV 6′′, AC 5, HD 3, hp 15, FC 3 men/hero −1, SV F7, N].

Posts: 364
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 2:27 pm
Location: New Jersey

Post by rredmond » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:03 pm

Re: (04) The Cathedral

sully wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:14 am
Thanis keeps his mouth shut and moves along with the rest of the party.
Garamon takes the same tack.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Posts: 2112
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:47 pm

Re: (04) The Cathedral

Goldwen likewise keeps quiet and lets Wraistlin do the talking. She does take note of the viewers from above and makes a mental note not to forget about them if there is trouble when they come back through the cathedral.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Return to “Wyrmspear”

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.