Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by flightcommander » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:04 am

Re: Out Of Character

Yes, I imagine an underworld/close quarters marching order would be much different, and punted for now ;)

In wilderness, I imagine we might very well find ourselves flanked, meaning everybody will have a chance to engage in hand-to-hand combat :lol: so I tried to spread people out.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:28 pm

I updated character sheets to reflect the 3 days' use of food. I adjusted weight accordingly when you had a method of tracking total load carried on your sheet.

Obviously, it is easier if players manage their own character sheet. And take note that I will not manage everything on character sheets; that's too much work for the DM or his assistant. If your character indicates they take a measure of coins or an item (whether it is of value or of no consequence), and you don't update your character sheet to reflect that addition, then it might be fair to say your character doesn't actually have the item or coins - they were left behind or lost or never picked up in the first place, maybe! You must be an advocate for your character! (In other words, be an active participant in the game that involves more than just posting your character actions.)

But I will try and keep up with such things as supplies (food, torches, oil, etc.) used/expended/lost, as part of my job in assisting the DM.

If you'd prefer I not edit your character sheet, then you'll have to manage it yourself in a timely fashion. :D I will give players a few days to manage their sheet themselves; but after that, I'll make the changes so I don't lose track.

Ask/speak up with questions/concerns.

Also, Acodispo made a really good change to the Equipment section of his character sheet, breaking out a column that would Sum the total pack load and carried load. I did a slightly different version of that to mine, as well. If you don't want to spend much time calculating weight changes, you might consider doing that, as well. If you need any help with that, let me know.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by acodispo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:49 pm

I'm in agreement with the proposed wilderness marching order and watch schedule.

Apologies for my two days silence. I taught my first yoga class at a new studio yesterday! Now that that milestone is past, my goal is to check in here daily. :D
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by The Red Baron » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:36 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

I nominate Leudigar the Ranger to act as caller while travelling the outdoors.

We are in need of bold men of decisive action to direct the party
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Post by sully » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

The Red Baron wrote:
I nominate Leudigar the Ranger to act as caller while travelling the outdoors.

We are in need of bold men of decisive action to direct the party
Seconded.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:55 pm

For the record, the caller is a player, not a character, who assembles group decisions and indicates actions when necessary. The actions won't come from the voice of the character; they'll be done in the OC half of the post.

The caller doesn't have to have a strong-willed character in the game.

That said, I don't mind being caller in Wilderness areas. But I would prefer to defer that duty to someone else in dungeon areas. Not because I don't like being a caller, but just because I'm doing some light DM duties for the game already and would prefer to see someone else step up and help out.
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:43 pm

ehiker133 wrote:For the record, the caller is a player, not a character, who assembles group decisions and indicates actions when necessary. The actions won't come from the voice of the character; they'll be done in the OC half of the post.

The caller doesn't have to have a strong-willed character in the game.

That said, I don't mind being caller in Wilderness areas. But I would prefer to defer that duty to someone else in dungeon areas. Not because I don't like being a caller, but just because I'm doing some light DM duties for the game already and would prefer to see someone else step up and help out.
Gentle mechanical reminder that rangers suffer penalties when reaction rolls are called for, due to their seclusive nature. Would be best if someone who was highly charismatic handled any negotiations or discussions with anyone we ever choose to talk to - friend or foe - even when in wilderness settings.

Post by mushgnome » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Boggs and Gunt (low charisma both) probably shouldn't speak for the group, either!

Although I see that, as a rat catcher, Boggs does get +2 when dealing with "cats, ferrets, serpents, and the like."
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by sully » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:55 pm

I can't view the Google sheets for Karl, Fendrel, or Faengol but otherwise I see no one with a 15 or higher CHR. We don't have anyone with a bonus to reaction rolls.

The Herald would not be a good candidate to speak with evil NPCs or non-humans, since his standard line is either "convert or die!" or just "die!"
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:31 pm

sully wrote:I can't view the Google sheets for Karl, Fendrel, or Faengol but otherwise I see no one with a 15 or higher CHR. We don't have anyone with a bonus to reaction rolls.
I guess my main point is that Leudigar may have a penalty to reaction rolls, so anyone who at least doesn't have penalties would be preferable when the need arises.

Return to “Hinterlands”