(074) Ye Nether World

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post by flightcommander » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:38 am

Re: (074) Ye Nether World

Armando investigates the tile more closely. Does it appear life-sized, based on his experience to-date with the Wolfmen? If so ... he wishes to himself he'd taken a paw for a curio! The glyph is, perhaps, a lock of sorts? A prisoner of our own becomes a more intriguing prospect.

In any case Armando will quietly indicate the marked flagstone to the assembled nearest him.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Posts: 857
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post by coffee » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Re: (074) Ye Nether World

Dieter sheathes his sword and takes up his bow, knocking an arrow. He takes up a position at the side of the passage, where he can see/fire through the portcullis with minimal chances of accidentally striking his comrade.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Pace, FL

Post by Eris » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:02 pm

Re: (074) Ye Nether World

Olaf notices Armando pointing to the floor and steps over to take a look, "What have you found, Armando?"

"Some sort of sign?" Could this be a way of opening the portcullis?" Could this be an indication of some sort of trap?" Olaf asks looking at the glyph of a clawed hand.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Post by doctorx » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Re: (074) Ye Nether World

Josiane will keep watch behind back down the route the party have just travelled while her companions examine gate and glyph.

Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by heartless » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:16 am

Re: (074) Ye Nether World

Ashtad has her bow ready also like Dieter finding a good position to see ahead. She will use her bow if any trouble occurs, only shooting if she can hit the enemy target without hurting her comrades.
[Hinderlands]Kianna the Elf Sister-Fighter-Medium, Elf Maiden, Fighter/MU/Cleric 1/1/1
[Hinterlands-Netherworld] Ashtad Engel (the flaming arrow), Human Maiden, Marksman 2
[Moria] Lady Éohild (Noble of Rohan), Human Women, Fighter 3

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: (074) Ye Nether World

Desmond/Mondes strips down to his smalls, a process that gives Armando and Olaf ample time to examine the strange marking on the floor, and others to take up suitable positions of watch.

The marking in the tile is only about 4in wide, so maybe half of life-sized. It could be merely a maker's mark on the brick, or--more likely it seems to Armando--it could be a sign. The flagstone in question is set right in the center of the passage; if it were not so filthy with sand and dust the marking would be clearly visible. If it is indeed a sign, Armando reasons, perhaps it would relate back to the symbols observed earlier, on the obelisk at the cross-roads? An indicator that some boundary has been reached, perhaps?
Does Armando glean anything meaningful from the sign? 1d6=3, so yes, although just barely.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: (074) Ye Nether World

At last the two-headed wee-man is ready; his gear laying in a pile adjacent to the portcullis. He sizes up the slightly awkward bars, looking for the most promising gap... perhaps here, right by the left-hand wall, is the most advantaged bend of the strange metal... he squeezes up to the bars and wriggles side-ways into the dubious gap, forcing himself painfully into it... perhaps if he'd gotten himself all oiled down for the squeeze it wouldn't be quite so tight!

After a minute long struggle and a good deal of sweating and grunting (and no small amount of spluttering Hobbet swearing), Desmond/Mondes pops through! He is alone on the other side.
Can Desmond/Mondes contort thru the bars? A thief-action for sure: 1d6=4, so yes!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: (074) Ye Nether World

"Ha!" Desmond quietly exclaims, giving the bars the evil eye as he rubs his shoulder where it feels raw from a scrape. Then he quickly puts his padding and leather armour back on and fastens his sword around his waist before examining the mechanism.

Sparked by an idea he had when he was squeezing through the bars, he asks the others (as he assembles his armour), "Anyone have a bit of oil on them we can spare? We might try and loosen up any gears or parts where metal slides on metal we can find and make the mechanical bits move easier while reducing the noise of it all."

If anyone is able to produce a vial of oil, he will use his knowledge of such things to apply it in the appropriate places before he tries the mechanism for raising the gate.
It might be better to stack the cards in our favour before we try raising the gate. It looks like it was dropped rather forcefully and there might be some damage to the mechanism. But I don't know what our situation is for light and how much oil we might need for that. Fortunately, as long as we have Dieter's sword we're not likely to be eaten by a Grue...
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 857
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post by coffee » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Re: (074) Ye Nether World

Dieter ignores his diminutive comrade(s) and keeps his eyes peeled down the corridor. Wouldn't do to have a bad guy sneak up on Desmond while he's getting his gear on.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post by flightcommander » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: (074) Ye Nether World

Armando looks up from examining the tile and is startled to suddenly find Desmond on the other side of the portcullis. "Well done, Master halfling!" he says with a grin, while wondering just how the halfling managed it. "Unfortunately we are on the last of my lamp oil. We do have a few vials of acid around, should they be useful with the hardware here."

Armando shares his thoughts about the tile with his companions. "Perhaps this tile identifies a boundary — in which case it may suggest beyond this gate lie the precincts of the Wolfmen?"
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.