Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: Out Of Character

I didn't realize we were so close to the Ruins already...hmmm Maybe we should rest up long enough to cook the Wolf Steaks before heading out.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by sully » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:21 pm

The worgs that fled will get back to Ket quickly... and then they'll send out another party of worgs to hunt for us.

We need to get moving immediately, in my opinion.

WAYS - is there a river or stream nearby? Something we can use to throw the worgs off the scent?
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:21 pm

sully wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:How many of those beans are left? What about super-sizing two or three people to quickly carry everyone to the woods? Or too much of a waste of the beans?
Now there's a plan!

Although giants move the same rate as Men (12"), they are certainly less impeded by obstacles--including heath--and can carry a lot more unencumbered.
How long does the effect last? If we only get a few turns out of it, and then the ones transformed are exhausted and have to be carried, it might work against us in the end...
Ah, this is true. I don't recall it being much more than a few turns, maybe? Probably not a good use for the beans, if that is the case.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by verhaden » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:15 pm

sully wrote:The worgs that fled will get back to Ket quickly... and then they'll send out another party of worgs to hunt for us.

We need to get moving immediately, in my opinion.

WAYS - is there a river or stream nearby? Something we can use to throw the worgs off the scent?
I agree; we need to move before they can regroup.

As a side note, I wonder what the ramifications of this encounter will be on those who may still reside in Ket. People you interacted with could be fresh new targets.

Post by sully » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:18 pm

verhaden wrote:As a side note, I wonder what the ramifications of this encounter will be on those who may still reside in Ket. People you interacted with could be fresh new targets.
I wonder what they'll do with the sleeping Guore in our mansion...

Hopefully, the mad mage who was creating armored golems downstairs will come home and blame the gobbos for the intrusion instead of us.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:31 pm

verhaden wrote: I agree; we need to move before they can regroup.
Like the shepherd said to the sheep, let's get the flock out of here!
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:37 pm

sully wrote:How long does the effect last? If we only get a few turns out of it, and then the ones transformed are exhausted and have to be carried, it might work against us in the end...
But remember one "turn" of wilderness exploration equals one day. D&D is funny like that--but in this case it works to your advantage.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:40 pm

sully wrote: WAYS - is there a river or stream nearby? Something we can use to throw the worgs off the scent?
There are little rivulets and pools scattered throughout the heath, with occasional deeper gullies to be found--these typically having overgrown, muddy or boggy bottoms. As men you'd typically want to avoid these... but as Giants you could step or clamber over them with relative ease.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:47 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
sully wrote:How long does the effect last? If we only get a few turns out of it, and then the ones transformed are exhausted and have to be carried, it might work against us in the end...
But remember one "turn" of wilderness exploration equals one day. D&D is funny like that--but in this case it works to your advantage.
Then this indeed should be our method of travel! We will be hard-pressed to shake wargs and goblins, fresh for the hunt, with our rag-tag bunch, unrested, underfed, even no-longer-mostly-dead in some cases! I fear another battle would be eminent and we would fair even worse than the first time.

It's worth three beans from the boon of a former-PC-now-NPC to make a quick escape to freedom where we can rest and level up and... maybe even try to restore sight to a poor blind two-headed hobbit.

Post by sully » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:13 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:Meanwhile the rest are planning to head east at their best pace--which will be about 6" with one blinded and one deceased hobbit, moving over rough terrain.

The most pressing question is: Do you plan to use the magic-beans to grow to giant size (and double your pace), and if so... how many? (Let's assume that a strong man enlarged to giant-size could carry two others without being encumbered).
We have 12 PCs, if my count is correct:
  • Beringar
    Olaf
    Highbough
    Torben
    Ulric
    Dieter
    Josiane
    Dorgan
    Gustave
    Armando
    Desmond
    Wen
Four giants would cover it.

I think we should do it. We need food, need to rest and resupply, need to level up. Let's get out of here as fast as possible.

We should have the four lowest level characters eat the beans. That way, if we do have to stop and fight again, the giants can drop fighters like Dieter and Gustave to the ground, and still be useful themselves in a fight. Maybe Wen, Armando, Torben, and Beringar?

Return to “Hinterlands”