(007) The First Night

Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

Posts: 16555
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:08 pm

(007) The First Night

waysoftheearth wrote:
The crush and noise of the melee is unbearable! Miodvitnir and Deorwyn urge the panicked mounts to crash right into the combat as blades and maces slick with blood -- red indistinguishable from black -- stab and hack violently, clanging upon shield and arms, and flinging out gruesome gore. In the mouth of Hollin Gate Arbenbard hastily spills a flask of lantern oil and has his Man, Nat Pickthorn, kneel to strike a spark to it with splint and steel as the fighting din roars on...

The Orcs in the camp have suffered a cruel reverse (1d6=6!) but their lust for vengeance holds, still believing their superior numbers will prevail. And they might yet.

Simultaneous attacks are resolved.

The six Orcs remaining in the camp attack (randomise targets 6d30; 1=Baraglin, 2=Dernfara, 3=Elindir, 4=Eohild, 5=Eremin, 6=Largo, 7=Norin, 8=Sili, 9=Telthalion, 10=Vestri, 11=Miodvitnir, 12=Hrok, 13=Oin, 14=Glorban, 15=Yori, 16=Dalain, 17=Balain, 18=Hallam, 19=Sutherland, 20=Deorwyn, 21-30=Horses; 6, 3, 4, 2, 22, 16)

Dernfara (1d20=13), Elindir (1d20=3) and Largo (1d20=10) deftly defend themselves, but Dalain (1d20=20!) is struck a dastardly axe blow (4dd=5,4,3,3) to the back of the skull for 6 hit points and is slain! The horses and mules run shrieking into the tumult (1d20=2) but by some miracle are unharmed. Eohild too is targeted as she crawls away (1d20=16), but at the last moment Lomeluin interposes himself between the stricken lady of Rohan and her would be assailant, taking the threat (1d20=16) upon himself. The brunt of the fell mace blow (2dd=3,6) that might have ended Eohild's life crashing upon his shield of Lorien, and its white timbers dashed apart!

Now the main press against the wall of fighting-Men comes (Randomise targets; 1=Largo, 2=Balain, 3=Baraglin, 4=Dernfara, 5=Dalain, 6=Elindir, 7=Glorban, 8=Legandir, 9=Hallam, 10=Hrok, 11=Lomeluin, 12=Oin, 13=Eremin, 14=Soval, 15=Sili, 16=Telthalion, 17=Sutherland, 18-20=mounts. 20d20=15, 18, 12, 12, 14, 13, 17, 17, 20, 18, 11, 14, 6, 5, 1, 14, 15, 13, 5, 4).

The ringing attacks fall thus; Largo (1d20=1), Elindir (1d20=2), Lomeluin (1d20=10) twist away from attacks unharmed, and Eremin (2d20=5,8), the wily fellow, somehow evades two crunching blows. Alas that Dernfara is sorely beset (1d20=14) and hit again (2dd=3,4) for 4 hit points and now his wounds are critical. Poor Dalain, who is already slain, (2d20=6,16) is run through from behind as he staggers to his knees (2dd=1,4) suffering another 4 (pointless) hit points. The grievous tide rolls on as Oin the Dwarf is hatchetted repeatedly (2d20=9,14) for (2dd=6,6) a very messy 12 hit points and woe! Oin is slain!

Soval takes the brunt of the Orc thrust, (3d20=7,11,4) but he masterfully repels three simultaneous attackers. Soval is the rock, battling on defiantly with but 2 hit points! Sili the Dwarf takes his share too (2d20=7,19) and is pierced once more for (2dd=2,3) 3 hit points, and now his hurts are many also.

Sutherland the mercenary fighting-Man (2d20=3,14) is hit, but he allows his shield to be dashed apart to avoid injury, and (3d20=12,9,3) one of the mounts is hit by a cowardly Orc. (Randomise which mount is hit; 1=Rohemnet (Lomeluin's Rouncy), 2=Frosti, 3=Snod, 4=Tug (Sili's mules), 5=Ned (Soval's mule), 6=Gleowine (Eohild's Rouncy), 7=Deor (Dernfara's Courser), 8=Piglet (Eremin Sulk's Courser), 9=Ladybird (Baraglin Banks' mule), 10=Doloris the old Nag (Largo Harfoot's pony); 1d10=6). It is Eohild's mount Gleowine that is struck for (2dd=1,5) 5 hit points, but it is not a fatal blow.

And in retribution for these hurts the company fights back!

(1d20; Largo=19, Balain=1, Baraglin=1, Dernfara=6,4, Dalain=15, Elindir=1, Glorban=6, Legandir=15, Hallam=11, Hrok=2, Lomeluin=15, Oin=11, Eremin=15, Soval=7,18, Sili=13,11, Telthalion=9, Sutherland=5).

But by whatever awful fate, in the darkness and confusion Balain, Baraglin, Dernfara, Elindir, Glorban, Hallam, Hrok, Oin, Telthalion and Sutherland cannot pierce the enemy's defenses nor his mail; their blows are checked and go unheeded.

But there are others in the line yet, and they thrust and slash fiercely raining mortal wounds upon the foe amid the carnage. Largo deals (2dd=5,6) 6 hit points, Dalain jabs an Orc for (2dd=1,2) 2 hit points before he is butchered. Legandir slashes another Orcish throat with Morfil for (2dd=4,5) 7 hit points. Lomeluin likewise hits for (2dd=6,4) 7 hits points. Eremin guts an Orc for (2dd=2,6) 6 hits points, while Soval (2dd=6,2) disembowels another for 9 hits points. Sili's rage is without measure, and the fearsome Dwarf Hero splinters Orcs all about, dealing two savage hits for (3,6 and 3,5) 9 and 8 hits points.

Utter carnage!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 16555
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:12 pm

(007) The First Night

waysoftheearth wrote:
The quick summary of all that is;

Legandir, Lomeluin, Largo and Sili slew wounded Orcs. Dalain wounded a fresh Orc, while Eremin, Soval and Sili slew fresh Orcs. All told 7 Orcs were falled in the fighting, but alas Oin the Dwarf and Dalain the fighting-Man were also slain.

Arbenbard's fire is about to roar into life. Soval is on 2 hp, Dernfara is on 3 hp, and Sili is on 6 hp.

There are only two injured Orcs left behind the (very stressed) line.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 16555
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:12 pm

(007) The First Night

waysoftheearth wrote:
What now, gentlemen?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 16555
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:07 pm

(007) The First Night

rleduc wrote:
In the swirl of the melee, Hrok can barely distinguish friend from foe, or where his compatriots are arrayed. He looks to left and right to see whether Soval or Denfara is more hard pressed, and whether the line can withstand a shift in his position to render aid.

Hrok Fights On!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 16555
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:51 pm

(007) The First Night

ehiker133 wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Alas, the intentions of Celglin, Dernfara, Elindir, Eohild and Norin remain unclear -- these last two being enfeebled by sickness in any case. Round five can wait no longer regardless...
Yeah, didn't really think there was much Norin could physically do but whimper, so he's just remaining still at the moment.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 1863
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am
Location: San Diego, Ca

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:53 pm

(007) The First Night

mgtremaine wrote:
Baraglin curses his ill luck with his shortsword but is delighted that the orcs behind the line are mostly destroyed and the mounts are being used to shield some of the commoners. "Fight On!".

At this point Baraglin thinks he finally has enough room to use his sling, so he would step back a pace or two and pick a target near Soval's side of the line. By the last map update Soval was in front and left of Baraglin so any Orc not directly in hand to hand but rushing towards that side gets a stone to the forehead.

-Mike
Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 6 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling

Posts: 16555
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:16 pm

(007) The First Night

calithena wrote:
Soval smiles grimly and shakes off the pain of his wounds. We will stand this, he thinks, raising his sword to strike again - and again. The warrior continues to battle, striking before and behind the line as does them best.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 16555
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:15 pm

(007) The First Night

doctorx wrote:
The look on Lmluin's face as he cuts down his Orc is one of utter hatred. (He liked that shield!)

If there remains an immediate threat to Eohild (and Norin as he's in the immediate vicinity) the Elf Captain will stand guard over them, lashing out at any of the enemy foolish enough to come within reach of his fair, deadly blade.

If the two stricken patients are not immediately imperilled, he makes for the remaining Orcs behind the line, his eyes ablaze, his sword dripping, a terrible smile on his face. Elvish death is come upon them!

If he has the opportunity, he will try and snatch up a shield from one of the fallen.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 16555
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:39 pm

(007) The First Night

mushgnome wrote:
That's more like it! "In formation!" shouts Sili. "Form a line and push them back!"

Now that his bloodlust has calmed down a little, he seeks order on the battlefield.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 16555
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:23 am

(007) The First Night

coffee wrote:
If Eremin can get anywhere near a line to join up with it, he will do so. But at any rate, he'll strike down any orc incautious enough to get near him.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Return to “Moria”

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.