The First Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:24 am

Re: The First Adventure

Turn 17

The Hobbet Heroes slog their way back east until they reach a familiar intersection and get their bearings. X marks the spot where our heroes killed the 3 ants. To their north they see a medium-sized room, littered with trash and debris. Further inspection will have to wait for a new light source; the torches are sputtering...

[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Willie looks with trepidation at the sputtering torches.

"Can we get a torch inventory? I'd love to go explore this cave & see if there's any treasure hidden among the trash, but if we're running out of light perhaps we should head back to the General Store?"
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:12 pm

Dougal stops and removes his pack and starts digging through it, intending on taking an inventory of his vials of oil. He suddenly stops and, even in the sputtering torch light, the other can see the flush of red creep up his face.

"Blimey. I'd forgotten about this old thing!"

He pulls a wrapped bundle out from the very depths of his pack and removes the cloth to reveal a battered old lantern. He quickly fills it with a vial of oil and uses one of the sputtering torches to light the wick, which takes and suddenly brightens the room.

"That's better now, innit? I have four more vials of lamp oil left after this one. Does anyone else have any?"

The lighting issue resolved, Dougal begins moving north into the room littered with refuse, lantern in his left hand and sword in his right...
I... I was positive I'd just picked up oil to have for spare for someone else's lantern, but I guess it was for my OWN lantern, because I do have one in my inventory! I was going in to update my oil flask count for the one that was used and happened to glance through the inventory list and saw the last item was "lantern".

Sorry. It's a stupid thing to not know your own inventory! I usually glance through my character sheet at the start of every encounter so I can get a refresher of what my character can do and has. I've failed to do that in this game.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by acodispo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:56 pm

"You're a wonder, Dougal! You never know what you'll find in that pack of yours."

Spirits buoyed by the addition of more light, Willie joins Dougal in exploring the trashed room, with his shield & axe ready.
I'm just happy you found that, ehiker! :D

This marching order still work?
  Code:
               ^
    Willie     | Chegs
    Dougal (L) |  Tet
             Potty
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:31 pm

[OOC: depending on how long we have been down here I started out with six torches & lit one during the spider-goat thing attack. So I am not sure if Chegs would have had to light another yet or not.]

Chegs says,"I have 5 (or 4) torches on me."
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5

Post by mushgnome » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Turn 18

By the light of Dougal's lantern, our Heroes investigate the cluttered room to their north.

The evidence suggests that long ago, this was a modest copper mine. There are multiple "veins" carved out of the walls, sparkling with a coppery residue. It looks like the copper strike is pretty much tapped out; if you spent a few hours swinging a mining pick, you might walk away with enough dust and flakes to cover the day's room and board, but you certainly wouldn't strike it rich.

The room proper is littered with the detritus of a Hobbet-scale mining operation: picks, hammers, shovels, tools, sacks, rope, barrels, supplies, and so forth. Unfortunately everything is completely rusted or rotted to dust. You feel there is not much of value here, but if you spent a turn searching, you might walk away with an intact, semi-useful piece of standard equipment. For example if you declared, "I spend a turn searching for torches," you definitely wouldn't find 6 torches, but there is a chance you might find 1 or 2. Any standard item is a possibility (even weapons or armor) but each PC may only search for 1 thing. Odds of discovery are inversely proportional to the value of the item.

Potty hypothesizes that the ants were scavenging this area for scrap wood, which they would masticate and then use as a substrate for fungus farming.

[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Dougal's lantern will burn for 24 turns per flask of oil, through turn 41.

Was I the only one thinking, "What has it got in its nasssty little pocketses?"

Post by acodispo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:48 pm

"Well, friends, we know where we are now. Where to next? Shall we head back towards the ants and investigate those small passages?"

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Dougal scans the ground, "We should look for more lamp oil while we're here. But then, yeah, let's go explore the smaller passages to the south of the ant area."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by acodispo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Willie considers the room.

"Good idea, Dougal. Alright, let's dig through this stuff & see if we can find anything useful! But one of us should stand guard."

Willie pulls out his sling & positions himself in the entrance to the room, keeping an eye on the passages left & right, so the others may spend a turn searching.

"If anybody needs something to search for: see if you can find another working lantern amongst all this mess!"

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”