(084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Posts: 1724
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post by mushgnome » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:53 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Boggs knows a thing or two about dirt. He carefully examines the holes in the floor. Burrowing vermin, perhaps? He sets his boggsmen to work flipping the unexplored flagstones.
Last edited by mushgnome on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post by sully » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:59 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron says, No doubt someone was digging for buried treasure. I suspect they didn't find any. My suggestion would be to turn over some flagstones that the previous searcher didn't disturb.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:42 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Walfried and Boggs examine the piles and holes. Boggs concludes these are no animal scratchings; while Walfried estimates the excavations as rather dated. Perhaps Chiron has the right of it? Boggs calls his men into the room and has them turn random flagstones here there and everywhere.

Meanwhile, Lemmi relieves Orim of his listening duty, applying her finer ear to the portal. However, she tends to agree with the dwarf's conclusion. There's nothing happening on the other side.

"Here!" calls one of Boggs' men suddenly. Everyone gathers around to see what the excited militiaman has unearthed. "It's buried treasure!" he gasps. Sure enough, he has uncovered a grubby sack, hidden below a flagstone.
Listening 1d6=?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post by sully » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron listens at the door while the others see what's inside the loot sack.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord

Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 am
Location: Montreal, QC

Post by The Red Baron » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Mero turns his lance at the bag, and raises his shield.

"Something was buried here, but these are catacombs not a treasury."
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Posts: 1135
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by acodispo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Brother Walfried pokes at the sack, again with the toe of his boot. If it sounds promising, he opens it and looks inside.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]

Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post by flightcommander » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:01 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Morin's eyes light up in expectation ...
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:40 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

With the sack unearthed, Walfried's nudge produces a promising rattle. Nobody can stop Boggs' man from upending the half-rotten sack to spill its contents of glimmering coins across the floor. Success!

Meanwhile, Chiron hustles Lemmi out of the door to try his own ear, but with the clatter of spilling coins and oohs and ahhs, he doesn't hear anything beyond.
Treasure generation using the DD5 dungeon treasure table.
Silver is always present: 1d6=5, so 500 sp.
50% change of gold: 1d6=1, so no.
5% chance of gems: 1d20=10, so no.
5% chance of jewelry: 1d20=17, so no.
5% chance of a magic item: 1d20=10, so no.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 1135
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by acodispo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Brother Walfried's eyebrows bristle upwards.

"Ah hah!" he says. "Spoils! I'm going to leave it to younger, stronger backs to carry this till we get out of here & can divide it properly."

He does help getting the coins back into the sack, or into a new one if the old one is too rotten.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]

Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post by sully » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron waits, albeit impatiently, for the coin transfer to be complete, and then listens again at the door.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord

Return to “Hinterlands”

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.