(080) Where a Hobbet Goes

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: (080) Where a Hobbet Goes

"Jiggerund urrg rijjig BRRUG!" extorts a loud and angry Goblin-voice from the passage ahead, followed by the thumping of heavy feet approaching.
the ref dices to determine what manner of monster has appeared.

For this labyrinth, I have a bespoke monster table. 2d6 → 8, okay.

Given that a noisy battle has just occurred, the ref rules that the monsters will not be surprised. In fact, they have been attracted to the noise.

Will the players be surprised? 1d6 → 2, so no. Possibly averting some serious hurt right there.

The ref dices secretly for the encounter distance...

Okay, what now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am
Location: San Diego, Ca

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:06 pm

Re: (080) Where a Hobbet Goes

"What's a Dwarf gotta do to catch his breath around here?" Zem picks himself up, shield and axe ready to meet the new goblin threat.
I updated my stat line to 4/6 Hp
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]

Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 am
Location: Montreal, QC

Post by The Red Baron » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:03 pm

Re: (080) Where a Hobbet Goes

Dopey holds forth his torch to peers out into the darkness.

Should a large angry goblin emerge from the labyrinth, the hobbet plans to hurl his axe, drop his torch so that he may see, then pull forth his sword and shield to do battle.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: (080) Where a Hobbet Goes

Leudigar whispers to the others,"Stand to the sides. Let... whatever it is... come into the room where we can all fight."

Then he moves into a position where he is in the middle of the room, facing that hallway with activity and taunts, "Come on, goblin filth! My sword awaits..." in an attempt to taunt the creature into barreling into the room to be surrounded.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Pace, FL

Post by Eris » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:34 pm

Re: (080) Where a Hobbet Goes

Freid, moves to the side of the entrance to the corridor. He grips his sword and raises his shield as he awaits whatever monsters come into the room. Freid hopes to get a side attack against whatever comes into the room.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Post by doctorx » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Re: (080) Where a Hobbet Goes

Arian snatches up her spear and beats a retreat to the entrance to the path leading to the surface where she lingers, spear ready to cast.

"Perhaps this would be a good time to run away?"

Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 am
Location: Northern California

Post by riftstone » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:38 am

Re: (080) Where a Hobbet Goes

heartless wrote:After the battle Kianna lowers her shield and sword and says to Faengol, "Nice spell, I like the growing into a giant touch. We should swap spells once get out of here."
"That may be possible," postulates Faengol, "except that our survival is still in doubt. We have no idea how many goblins await our company's blades."

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:36 pm

Re: (080) Where a Hobbet Goes

Fried, Faengol, Arian, and Kianna follow Leudigar's instruction and get themselves briskly out of sight, leaving Dopey the Hobbet, Zem the Ogre-Dwarf, and the tracker in sight, standing over a field of slain goblins when another giant, hairy goblin appears, leaning around the corner and the end of the short passage leading out of the wall-room. "Wha' da?" he snarls when his eyes fall upon the Ogre-Dwarf (and side-kicks), and his slain kinsmen lying all around.

Dopey hurls his Hobbet-ax, but the giant goblin retreats behind the wall in the nick of time, and his missile only clatters against the stone work.

There is goblin-yelling heard form around the corner; it's apparent the big goblin is withdrawing and issuing orders...
The ref presumes that Faengol, Arian, and Kianna also follow Leudigar's plan, and get themselves briskly out of sight.

The first Combat Turn follows:
Missile Segment
Dopey hurls his ax: 1 # d20 + 1 → [7], but doesn't connect.

There is no melee segment, so it's the end of the first combat turn.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Re: (080) Where a Hobbet Goes

Leudigar quickly moves forward, peers around the wall and, if possible, fires a bolt at the fleeing creature with his crossbow.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am
Location: San Diego, Ca

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:54 pm

Re: (080) Where a Hobbet Goes

"Don't like this at all, another wave of attackers will be hard to hold off. Should we retreat to the find the others?"Zem stands with Axe and Shield ready.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.