(079) What a Gnome Knows

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:45 pm

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

The Red Baron wrote::lol: That would be exciting!
I thought about it ;)
mgtremaine wrote:Um sleep spell and we are in major trouble
I have been thinking about this too. The fairest method will be to dice for their spell selection from a list of the likely options. Sleep would certainly feature among the "likely options". They will have two spells each, as well as the possibility of scrolls...
The Red Baron wrote:Can skeletons in DD be killed by arrows and swords?
Technically, the answer to this question is yes. But you didn't ask whether they can be killed by normal arrows and swords. We're about to find out ;)
The Red Baron wrote:Are there torches on the walls here?
Yes, this area of the dungeon is dimly lit by infrequent wall torches...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 1633
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am
Location: San Diego, Ca

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

Zem move up towards the front as other either break to flank or move aside. "Walking bones, what madness is this?"
If Wen where he he might talk to them first... But Zem, dwarf + axe = not so good at diplomacy. I will note recall that the back of his Axe is a hammer :)
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]

Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by acodispo » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:49 am

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

Wetzel turns toward the rear of the column and tries to get an idea what's happening. He's readying his spear and shield, and will join melee if it is provoked by the enemy (or by the party) and has any possibility of reaching the enemy (perhaps with his spear from the second rank) but will not attack first.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]

Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 am
Location: Northern California

Post by riftstone » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:37 pm

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

Faengol will drop is old stave, to wield the new stave two handed.

"Spread out, show our numbers!" he hisses to the others.

To the newcomers, he will draw up to his full height and speak with a loud voice "I am Faengol, adherent of the Ancients and Keeper of The Trees. Necromancy is a forbidden rite. How came you by these atrocities?"

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:34 am

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

Despite Dopey's warning, Karl scarcely has time to fire into the oncoming foe. None the less his aim is good; his arrow punches through a skeletal eye socket, spinning the awful head around and catching there, but not slowing the crypt horror in the least. And then they are on top of him! Dopey the Hobbet, fighting valiantly at Karl's side in the cramped corridor, deals one of them a serious stab but it doesn't even flinch; Karl manages to change to his sword without being overwhelmed.

Behind them in the arc of the passage there is confusion. Arian backs herself down the fork in the passage way adjacent to her position--creating a modicum of maneuvering space--while Leudigar yells something up the line; Faengol the elf proclaims something about Tree Keepers, but it's difficult to make out over the tight-quarter fighting, and the ghastly skeletons don't seem to be listening...

Owing to the curve of the passage nobody ahead of Leudigar can even see the fighting, let alone any enemy, but the unmistakable ring of battle carries as far as the pantry door. Even in the kitchen, Fried gets a notion of what must be happening, and makes off toward the mess hall via the servery door...
Combat Turn 1

Movement Segment: Dopey retreats as far back as Karl, who can backpeddle no further because Arian is right behind him, Gerhard is right behind her, Leudigar is right behind him, Wetzel is right behind him, and so on.

The skeletons had 3" to reach Dopey, but because he has moved back 1" they must cover 4". Their movement rate is 6", so 4" is greater than half their move. Thus Karl is allowed a bow show at 1" range, momentarily before melee is joined.

Meanwhile those at the other end of the column are alerted to the ruckus going on out of sight, around the corner of the passage; Leudigar's warning carries to them and they at least stop advancing forward. Fried makes 6" (half a move) across the kitchen to the servery door.

Missile/Magic Segment: Karl has just enough time to fire an arrow from his bow: (Man+1 @+2) d20+3 =15 hits; but does no damage (skeletons are unaffected by normal missiles). No other missiles, spells, or spell-like powers are thrown.

Melee Segment: Skelies had to move 4" (more than half) so there will be only one round of melee attacks. Attackers have the initiative:
Two skellies (Man) 2d20=3, 3 (!) two misses.
Dopey (Man+1) d20+1=15, hit; 1d6=3hp damage.
Karl switches weapons and attacks last (Man+1) d20+1=5, miss.

Ref rolls hp for 8 skeletons 8d6=41, 6, 6, 4, 2, 1, 3, 6.

End of turn.

What orders for combat turn two?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 am
Location: Montreal, QC

Post by The Red Baron » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:57 pm

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

If Dopey can see the main passage from here, he tells Karl "Fall back to that passage! We can hit them from two flanks." He keeps fighting until the Karl replies, not wanting to abandon his comrade in arms.

Otherwise, the hobbet keeps futilely hacking away in blind panic.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Posts: 857
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post by coffee » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:09 pm

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

Karl will happily fall back, if his comrades give him room, but he's not going to let up on his attack until he can.

He fights on!
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post by sully » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

Did The Herald hear any of this, or are he and Zax continuing on?
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord

Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by acodispo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:05 pm

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

Wetzel steps up beside Leudigar and grabs Gerhard's shoulder, pushing the Medium behind him.

"Get behind us!" he rasps.

Then the little man raises his shield and steadies his spear, ready to hold the passage to the pantry with Leudigar while Arian, Karl, and Dopey hold the main passage, hopefully allowing all four (or five) of them to attack skeletons while only two skeletons can attack at a time.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]

Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:55 pm

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

Leudigar quickly ascertains what the half-man is trying to do and draws his silver sword and braces his shield, urging Arian, Karl and Dopey to fall back past the intersection, allowing four of them (Karl, Dopey, Leudigar, and Wetzel) to engage the enemy.

"Arian, anything you can do from back there?" he calls out as she backpedals past him.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Return to “Hinterlands”

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.