PC Setup

Waysoftheearth's Wyrmspear PBP

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:49 am

Re: PC Setup

sully wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:43 pm
I tend not to play female PCs but, for the sake of this playtest, I will take either character. I'm fine with Goldwen if ehiker would prefer Thanis.

You could play a male version of Goldwen if you prefer. Perhaps Goldwrake?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by zygarti » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:25 am

I might give flin the keyword "strong" and maybe give him 50ft of rope if thats cool?
Flin Ireforge [Dwarf Myrmidon, Strong, MV 6′′, AC 5, HD 3, hp 15, FC 3 men/hero −1, SV F7, N].

Post by Kozos » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:26 am

I am a bit torn between Strong and Tough for Stern.
I think I will lean a bit more on the offensive side and go for Strong

For matters of Gear I was thinking something along the lines of a lamp or half a dozen torches, 50 ft of rope and assuming literacy pen, ink and a few pieces of paper.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:45 am

All good.
Each of the PCs already has some basic equipment listed, but you may wish to add a few choice items from the extended DD equipment list (p47 DD5 Heroes and Magic), or any other similar lists you have seen. These PCs are 3-4th level, so they've had time to collect a few interesting knickknacks.

Only one of each very rare item (e.g., spy glass) in the party please.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by rredmond » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:15 pm

Any limit to the ASR word? Garamon (keeping to the spoofesque feel) could be strong or hardy, but (using Wiki to remind myself :D) was thoughtful and loyal. But I'd like him to have a decent chance at survival too (yeah, yeah, metagaming, sue me! :lol: )

He's certainly leery of siblings of all sort!
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:31 pm

I can't recall what ASR means, but no, there's really no limitation on the words you choose.
Things like thoughtful and loyal should emerge in the role play, so (being all meta-gamey) you're prolly better off choosing something that is clearly ability score-centric. If you really want to cover more ground you could choose several words (fit and strong, for example), in which case each word will end up counting for less than if you choose one.

Post by rredmond » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:38 pm

I made ASR up :D
Ability-score-related. ;)
Sounds good thank you!!
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:07 pm

FWIW, a general comment on ability scores is that they are more descriptive and less number crunchy in OD&D than they are in later editions.

The original cast of DragonLance PCs have extremely improbable ability scores if we're talking about throwing 3d6 six times. All the humans (including Tanis) have 3 scores in the 14-18 range, whereas Flint and Tasslehoff (the non-humans) have "only" 2 scores that range. There are exactly 2 scores below 10 in the whole party of eight with 48 ability scores.

Giving everyone high scores simply makes high scores the norm. Whereas in OD&D, high (and low!) scores are a notable exception worth bragging about :)

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:11 pm

Okay dokey, we're just waiting for sully and ehiker to decide their PCs.

Shortly I am going to summarise everyone PCs and starting out equipment. Once the game get's underway you'll be stuck with whatever equipment is stated here in this thread.

At the moment, you're all pretty lite on for tools of the trade... last call for shopping/choosing equipment coming soon :)

Post by Kozos » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:11 am

waysoftheearth wrote: At the moment, you're all pretty lite on for tools of the trade... last call for shopping/choosing equipment coming soon :)
Alright can I have a (war)horse and a few oil bombs? Plus some bandages would be nice.
waysoftheearth wrote: FWIW, a general comment on ability scores is that they are more descriptive and less number crunchy in OD&D than they are in later editions.

The original cast of DragonLance PCs have extremely improbable ability scores if we're talking about throwing 3d6 six times. All the humans (including Tanis) have 3 scores in the 14-18 range, whereas Flint and Tasslehoff (the non-humans) have "only" 2 scores that range. There are exactly 2 scores below 10 in the whole party of eight with 48 ability scores.

Giving everyone high scores simply makes high scores the norm. Whereas in OD&D, high (and low!) scores are a notable exception worth bragging about :)
This is something very common in the Advanced line of D&D products as well as retroclones of that variety. B/X and RC are not innocent either. And it makes sense in two ways.
a. All of these systems (i) either introduce alternative methods for attribute generation (AD&D) such as roll 4 keep best 3 or other more esoteric methods or (ii) allow you to trade one point for two points to increase your prime requisite (B/X and BECMI).
b. High attributes have a very significant impact. Consider 2 0D&D characters. One has 3 in all attributes while another has 18 in all of them. While the gap is there it doesn't put the 18-all guy in a different league. This is not the case in B/X or AD&D where the gap is more like 3 or 4 levels.

Return to “Wyrmspear”