The First Adventure


Mushgnome's Lovecraftian PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

User avatar

Posts: 16493

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:59 am

Re: The First Adventure

Let's get a couple more torches lit up! wheezes Tet, moving to make it so.
mushgnome wrote:I wasn't able to find specific mention of dark/blind-fighting in the Delving Deeper rules. In past games, I've handed out -4 penalties to attacks, saves, and AC. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a better system, or if @waysoftheearth wants to weigh in with a rules clarification?

I'm not aware there is any specific mention of "blind fighting" in the original rules. CM (3rd Ed. p31) details the Darkness spell which ominously says: "only those troops that can see in darkness can then attack/defend". GH has a "darkness, 5~ radius spell", but doesn't discuss fighting in darkness. Seems like maybe it wasn't considered an option...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1714

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Pulling out his sling and picking up a proper-sized rock, Dougal flings off a rock at the goat-like creature, trying to ensure it doesn't return.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 674

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Re: The First Adventure

In Willie's Dream:

Finally sated with two dozen flapjacks, Moose-Ma sits down at the table opposite Willie. The table is now covered in fist-sized rocks.

Moose-Ma pours herself a cup of tea, and one for Willie, and as they sit & converse about the interesting adventures Willie has been going on, he munches contentedly on the rocks.

At first the rocks are tasty, but after a bit his teeth begin to hurt something awful, until...
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 405

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 am

Re: The First Adventure

Once the first torch is lit, and the flame illuminates the crumpled form of Willie, Potty allows Tet and Chegs to continue the operation and goes to help the fallen hobbet.

'Oh dear' he intones 'Oh dear oh dear oh dear' while he applies his most-specialest, secret-recipe, mushroom balm to Willie's wounds.
kudos to acodispo for a great dream-sequence, shame it might soon end!
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1188

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:18 am

Re: The First Adventure

waysoftheearth wrote:I'm not aware there is any specific mention of "blind fighting" in the original rules. CM (3rd Ed. p31) details the Darkness spell which ominously says: "only those troops that can see in darkness can then attack/defend". GH has a "darkness, 5~ radius spell", but doesn't discuss fighting in darkness. Seems like maybe it wasn't considered an option...


I've given it some thought, and here is my house rule: Unlike Humans, who are afraid of the dark, Hobbets don't panic when the lights go out. Hobbet children hone their other senses by playing games like blindfold-tag, hide-and-go-hide-some-more, and who-turned-out-the-lights, laughing and stumbling through their underground burrows. Blind Hobbets suffer a mere -4 to attack rolls, AC, and saving throws. They can feel their way along at half movement rate and must rely on their other senses for orientation.

Fortunately, the party has plenty of light now, but yikes! That was scary. The torches will burn through turn 17.

Did you notice how I reset the level map when the lights went out? I thought that was a nice touch.

Agreed that Willie's dreams are a lot of fun to read. :)

Next update coming soon...
User avatar

Posts: 1188

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:49 am

Re: The First Adventure

Combat Turn 3

As Potty approaches his patient, he notices something odd stuck to Willie's boot: a strand of spider-silk, so thin it is almost invisible.

Dougal and Chegs fire their slings, but both miss. Their sling-stones ping off the rock wall and drop into the abyss. Five seconds later there is a pair of faint splashes from far below. The near-miss only hastens the spider-goat's departure. The creature scurries directly up the vertical surface toward the dark vaults of the cavern ceiling. It disappears from sight when it reaches the 30' limit of the party's torchlight.

There is a 'booooiiiing' sound as the spider-thread attached to Willie is pulled taut. His foot suddenly jerks into the air! The spider-goat has him hooked like a fish and is trying to reel him in.

Poor Willie's nightmare continues... The rest of you, what next?

Dougal 1d20+3=13, miss
Chegs 1d20+3=5, miss

Hope that you don't mind I temporarily DM'd Chegs. :)
User avatar

Posts: 674

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:59 pm

Re: The First Adventure

In Willie's Dream:

"Don't lose track of your surroundings, Willibald Whitfoot!" bellows the Moose-Ma.

But when Willie looks up, she is gone, and so is the kitchen of their humble hole.

Instead, he finds himself in a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell --

No, wait, it's a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat --

And now again it's a dark, dank, twisty hole filled with a reek of mushrooms & menace!

In any case, not a comfortable hobbet hole at all!

He looks down at his hands, and sees six pristine white teeth lying in his palm.

"My teeth!" he exclaims.

Not best pleased with finding them there, he tries to put his teeth back where they belong, but finds his hands are covered in some sticky, stringy substance, and whatever he touches gets stuck to them! The more he struggles, the more he is tangled, until finally...
Glad you're all enjoying the nightmare. Things I never thought I'd be asked to do in DnD: describe a dream-sequence in detail! Thanks for the opportunity, mushgnome! :)
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1714

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Without thinking, Dougal jumps on top of Willie's prone body, trying to hold him down.

"Cut the line! Someone cut the line!" he shouts, as he leaps.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 170

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:27 am

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Chegs rushes forward and pulls a dagger out after dropping his sling and attempts to the goat-spider webbing, if that doesn't work he'll use his torch to burn through it if possible.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5
User avatar

Posts: 1188

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:55 am

Re: The First Adventure

End of Combat, and End of Turn 11

Dougal holds on to Willie while Chegs cuts through the spider-thread using his dagger. Willie is free!

Potty inspects the patient: Willie is still breathing, and shows no sign of injury apart from the damage to his mouth. Potty improvises a mushroom poultice and applies it to Willie's swollen jaw.

Willie is revived! It takes a minute, but he slowly returns from dream-land to the world of consciousness.

The party must now rest for 1 turn to catch their breath after the fight. How will our Heroes spend the rest turn?

Does Tet wish to change into his metal armor at this time?
PreviousNext

Return to Deeper Arkham

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software