The First Adventure


Mushgnome's Lovecraftian PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

User avatar

Posts: 674

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:04 am

Re: The First Adventure

In Willie's Dream:

Having placed his hand flat on the table top, ready to lose his fingers in accordance with the rules, Willie looks back up at Ma Whitfoot in trepidation.

But it is no longer Ma standing there above him, or at least, it is no longer her head atop her body! Instead, the vast noggin of the Albino Moose perches ponderously above Ma's floral-print apron!

The Moose-Ma's mouth gapes wide, and it bellows (somewhat incongruously): "PULL HIM BACK!" while raising the axe high above its head.

But Willie knows exactly what to do: he lifts a flapjack off the pile in front of him and tosses it sharply into the Moose's open mouth!

The Moose-Ma begins to chew with great force, and a thoughtful look comes over its vast pallid face. Finally...
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16493

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:04 am

Re: The First Adventure

Well, there is water down there. We could jump "to safety" down there... or else fight the grue in darkness up here.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1714

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:44 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Assuming the spider-goat hasn't moved far, Dougal continues to attack!


Option 3 is for one of the party members who shies from combat to produce a light!
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 170

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:27 am

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Chegs is swallowed by the darkness as the light is extinguished. "Shite! How can I fight now? We need light. anyone friendly near by - not goat critter come toward my voice & help me out. I'll get my backpack off & fish for my torches. Then you can hold it as I light it with my flint & steel."

Chegs then carefully slides his warhammer into its belt loop & places his shield between his legs so he can grab it once he is done with less effort. He then pulls of his backpack & starts groping for his torches. If anyone answers his call, he'll hand the torch over to them & fish out his flint & steel out of his pouch on his belt.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5
User avatar

Posts: 1188

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Let's assume that Hobbet adventurers are resourceful little pyromaniacs who always keep their tinderboxes close at hand. I will allow Chegs (or anyone else for that matter) to light a torch or lantern as a one-turn (i.e. round), one-person action. Important to note that Chegs must un-wield either his weapon or his shield, in order to have a hand free for the torch. (Let me know which combo he chooses to wield: torch/hammer or torch/shield.)

@waysoftheearth: Tet counted 5 seconds for the lantern to fall, if that helps you decide whether or not jumping is a good idea.
User avatar

Posts: 405

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:58 am

Re: The First Adventure

"Im coming Chegs!" wails Potty, keen for the comfort of light and/or other hobbets in the foe-ridden darkness.
Assuming he doesnt slip and fall on an errant mushroom, Potty wanders toward the voice of Chegs to help him lighting a torch
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 170

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:27 am

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:32 am

Re: The First Adventure

Chegs will hand the torch to another until he can strap his shield to his back and hold his warhammer in his right hand and the torch in the other. If he needs a tinder box he likely had it tucked in his backpack next to his torches to ease finding it in situations like this. He awaits for Potty to assist him.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5
User avatar

Posts: 1714

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Re: The First Adventure

See Mushgnome's comment above. It only takes one to light a new torch this round. It seems like it might make for good dramatic effect otherwise, but we currently have one thief in the group fighting an 8-legged goat, a fighter/thief unconscious, and nobody else engaged. Dougal isn't going to last long without support... Attacks with a penalty are better than no attacks at all, I think.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 1188

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:24 am

Re: The First Adventure

I wasn't able to find specific mention of dark/blind-fighting in the Delving Deeper rules. In past games, I've handed out -4 penalties to attacks, saves, and AC. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a better system, or if @waysoftheearth wants to weigh in with a rules clarification?
User avatar

Posts: 1188

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 am

Re: The First Adventure

Combat Turn 2

Willie's dream continues; you may narrate another round...

Tet had the wind knocked out of him for a moment, but he's okay now. He pushes himself up onto all fours and cautiously crawls away from the ledge. If he were to get turned around in the pitch-darkness and stumble over the edge, look out!

Dougal lashes out blindly, but his sword finds only empty air.

At the conclusion of the round, Chegs and Potty have lit 1 or 2 torches (please clarify if they were lighting 1 torch each, or 1 in total). They see the albino goat-thing scurrying toward the crevasse. Its chest is seeping with a cottage cheese-like substance from the wound that Dougal made on the previous turn, and the creature looks like it's had enough with our Heroes. When it reaches the ledge, it crouches on its eight legs and then leaps across the abyss! It lands on the opposite cavern wall, finding tiny cracks and footholds with sure-footed grace of a mountain goat. It clings to the stone wall with its legs splayed apart like a spider's and bleats a hideous BAAAA-AAAAA-AAAA!

(End Turn 2. What next?)

Image

C=Chegs
D=Dougal
P=Potty
T=Tet
W=Unconscious Willie
S=Spider-Goat (clinging to wall opposite the crevasse)


I hope nobody will object if I move things along?

Dougal rolls 1d20=14-4=10 (darkness penalty)

Lucky for Dougal, the spider goat seems to have failed its morale check.
PreviousNext

Return to Deeper Arkham

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software