(01) The Approach

Waysoftheearth's Wyrmspear PBP

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:20 pm

Re: (01) The Approach

waysoftheearth wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:56 am
A post-battle rest is then called for (whereupon I will explain recovering hp)...
rredmond wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:05 pm
...Really digging the OC commentary. Is this mostly OD&D, DD, or your new system? I’m thinking you are going to recap the HPs, pretty sure I have 8 left, but let me know if we should be tracking that in some way :)
I believe WOTE is going to explain hp recovery and confirm current balances with us next, per above. One thing that takes a little getting used to in a WOTE game is the not dicing for anything. I know some people love rolling their own dice, and I totally get it. But once you come to understand that WOTE is a fair and just DM and doesn't have this "us vs. them" mentality, and you see just how much more smoothly the game goes with WOTE doing all the dicing, you quickly learn to LOVE the pacing we can get in a game when we're not waiting for input (dice rolls) from EVERYONE before we can continue. It also completely and 100% takes away any concerns about people occasionally fudging dice rolls, especially when it's REALLY important for someone to make a roll. I honestly believe it's how all PBP games should run. Definitely how I'll run one if (when?) I ever get settled enough and organized enough to do something justice. I was very much opposed to it for the first hour or so of the first Hinterlands game I played. But I quickly got over it and now wouldn't have it any other way.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:42 pm

Seeing the last lizardman go down to Wraislin's blow to the head, Goldwen lets out a sigh of relief.

She immediately begins assessing who has the worst injuries and helps tend their wounds. If all they need is some help with bandaging and recovering from the battle, then she'll help with that. If they need additional aid, she will use her willow branch.
Does Goldwen know the limitations of the gnarled branch of healing yet?
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by sully » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:23 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:14 pm
Thanis, seemingly touched by the gods...

Thanis slumps to the ground, muscles trembling slightly as the adrenaline slowly fades from his system. He absent-mindedly rubs the spots on his body where, seconds ago, there were grievous wounds.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by Kozos » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:51 pm

With a quick scan around Stern kneels right next to Thanis to examine his wounds. His hard voice softens, "Stay with us friend" as he tries to identify the wounds.
I very much enjoy the commentary on the mechanics of the next version of DD.
I have a question though, Stern is strong, what is the mechanical impact of that in combat?

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:38 pm

Love the Q&A :)

ehiker133 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:42 pm
Does Goldwen know the limitations of the gnarled branch of healing yet?
In DL#1 Goldmoon has the blue crystal staff, which is both an artifact (OP!) and a plot device. However, in DL#1 gameplay it is effectively a combined staff of healing and a staff of striking.

For Wyrmspear I've toned it down to simply a staff of healing (its primary function in DL#1 anyway). But since I've added the whole "branch of the tree of life" flavour element, I'm more and more seeing it as a literal tree-branch, with a bunch of leaves on it. I was thinking that each time a cure spell is used from it, one leaf falls off. When all the leaves are gone, it is spent. I was going to start it out with 6d6 leaves (charges). However, given that a BTB staff of healing is limited to one cure per person per day, I wouldn't expect the number of charges to be a limiting factor. So let's say is has 6d6=5,1,4,6,5,3 -> 24 charges left, and can be used once per person per encounter. When you see post about resting, this should be perfectly fine.

I've replied to the other more general questions over in the OOC topic.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:53 pm

I posted some details about resting after combat in the OOC topic.

The upshot here is that: Garamon, Stern, Thanis, and Witherun will all rest back up to full hp.

Wraislin is not a fighter, so doesn't get this benefit, but Goldwen could use a cure from the Branch of Life on him, if she so chooses.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by zygarti » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:44 am

What are the limitations of Flin's returning throwing axe? can i just keep throwing it at enemies and then returning it to me over and over?
Flin Ireforge [Dwarf Myrmidon, Strong, MV 6′′, AC 5, HD 3, hp 15, FC 3 men/hero −1, SV F7, N].

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:55 am

zygarti wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:44 am
What are the limitations of Flin's returning throwing axe? can i just keep throwing it at enemies and then returning it to me over and over?
Yes.
It can be thrown 6" (60ft underground, or 60yd outdoors) as a missile with a +1 to hit and no other range adjustment. Unless somehow prevented it will always fly back to Flin automatically, and will otherwise fly to his hand upon command from anywhere within 6".

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:06 pm

After the carnage of the lizardman ambush is over, everyone takes a good long breather to recover.
Most of the damage done is superficial to the stout fighter types, and after catching their breath, righting wronged armor, and taking a good draft of cool water, they recover admirably.

Wraislin's injuries are more real, but he receives ministrations form Goldwen's branch of the Tree of Life, and is miraculously whole again. Another leaf drops from the branch of life.

Tass and Garamon poke around the slain lizards unenthusiastically. The creatures had wooden maces and axes, with some crudely made iron edges and blades. Some carried crude, wooden shields, but collectively they have nothing of any discernable value.

A little while later everyone is rested, and the afternoon is ripe for one more push.

Thanis and Witherun have figured out that the lizardmen were laying in wait in small dug out depressions off the side of the path. It was a perfect ambush location, but clearly they must have been expecting someone. They seem to have come from the direction the party was already headed; somewhere further along the narrow forest path.
Following the rest, everyone is back to full hp.

Stern (strong): 16/16 hp
Garamon (hardy): 20/20 hp
Thanis (sneaky): 16/16 hp
Witherun (___): 16/16 hp
Goldwen (sagacious): 9/9 hp
Wraislin (intellectual): 8/8 hp
Flin (strong): 15/15 hp
Tass (agile): 9/9 hp

Goldwen's staff of healing has 23 leaves remaining.

What now?

Post by sully » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:46 pm

Thanis rises to his feet, pours a little water on his head, and runs his fingers through his damp hair.

Turning to the rest of the group, he says, Let's not make the same mistake twice. Tass and I will scout ahead, trying to stay hidden, and look for other ambush sites.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Return to “Wyrmspear”