(089) Moonlight Backtrack


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1668

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

"If we go much longer without proper food in our stomachs, we'll be feeling it soon - sluggish responses, weakness, even worse decision making... Let's take an extended break and try and see if we can't get a few of these marsh hares."

If the others agree, Leudigar will find a well-used water hole or some rabbit runs and set up some deadfall snares to try and catch a few marsh hares.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

While Leudigar is doing his trapping, Freid will work with Zem to see if we can divide the loot in a way that he can help him carry it.
My understanding is that Freid has only his clothing, his sword and shield and nothing else. If he has no bag or pack, then how to carry loot is going to be a problem. Pockets?
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 665

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Tue May 01, 2018 1:06 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

Karl is fully willing to carry his comrade's heavy pack.
Aside from trapping, I think Leudigar's bow is our best bet to get food.

Also, we could follow one of the brooks we find to a river; we might get fish there.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1668

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue May 01, 2018 1:56 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

"Good thought, Karl. I thought to save the arrows for danger, but..." he pats the Bleakmass Blade at his side, "... this suffices if we need the arrows for hunting."

Therefor, if Leudigar sees an opportunity to shoot game with his bow, he will.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 05, 2018 1:06 am

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

Leudigar goes a hare-hunting and trapping while the others contemplate how to move the pack full of gold, or where they might find a fishing spot. The ranger has frugal materials to make traps and snares, but he constructs a few make-shift snares from plant material available. They're not great, he acknowledges, but his bow and arrows will serve well enough. He finds a nice quite spot and lays in ambush, his empty belly reminding him he must succeed...

His patience pays off, and during the day he is able to shoot three, largish marsh-hares. They're not exactly plump, but they will make a decent enough feed for the hungry company. A quick check of his snares as he heads back to where he left the others proves they were all futile. Never mind, he has a meal about him.

Meanwhile, Karl is confident he could carry Zem's pack. Zem and Fried have figured that they could possibly tear fabric off their shirts to make knapsacks in which to divide the loot among them. Not that they have any excess of clothing, and the night will almost certainly be chilly...

When he returns, Leudigar notes that nobody has thought to gather firewood, prepare a fireplace, or locate water. However... the hare-skins might also be made to serve as make-shift pouches...
Rangers should be "good at" hunting, so lets give Leudigar two dice; any 3--6 will shoot a hare, a 6 will trap one too. 2d6=3,2 okay, just enough to shoot something. Since the die was 3, let's call it 3 hares.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 665

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Sat May 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

Karl will happily go collect firewood if the rest will guard the gold and clean the rabbits.

He won't go too far, though, because it wouldn't do to get separated.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1668

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon May 07, 2018 3:18 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

Leudigar asks one of the others to gather some water from the nearby stream while he prepares the rabbits. He deftly nicks the rabbits' skin across the ankles and removes the head before stripping their skins off them in one swift motion, sort of like taking off a nightshirt and turning it inside out in the process. Then he locates a rock that will work as a makeshift scraper to scrape off any fat or tissue remaining on the skin so it doesn't go rancid. Then with a little bit of stitching at the appendage holes, they should make smaller suitable rabbit-fur purses of sorts...
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Mon May 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

ehiker133 wrote:Leudigar asks one of the others to gather some water from the nearby stream while he prepares the rabbits. He deftly nicks the rabbits' skin across the ankles and removes the head before stripping their skins off them in one swift motion, sort of like taking off a nightshirt and turning it inside out in the process. Then he locates a rock that will work as a makeshift scraper to scrape off any fat or tissue remaining on the skin so it doesn't go rancid. Then with a little bit of stitching at the appendage holes, they should make smaller suitable rabbit-fur purses of sorts...
I'm not at all sure we have anyway of carrying water. I can but ask...

"I'll get some water while Karl is getting firewood." says Freid then asks, "Does anyone have a waterskin or container of any kind I can use to hold the water?"

"If no one does, I think we should move our camp down to the stream where we can lap up the water." Freid finishes.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
Previous

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software