(082) The Darkness Below


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16346

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:22 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

At the end of last turn only Karl and Fried (up on the mezzanine) have seen the serpent-figure. Zax, Leudigar, and Akbar (near the archway) have heard a lullaby voice. Zem might have heard the voice and/or seen the others respond to it.

So... as I understand it; we have Zax and Akbar firing missiles at a target they presume they will see before they fire, and Leudigar averting his gaze and swinging his sword into space he presumes will be occupied before it gets there. Zem is rushing down the ramp to assist. Fried is suggesting missile fire from the mezzanine, but Karl is rushing across the mezzanine and then down the ramp.

So be it.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16346

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:18 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

A ghastly Medusa pops its ugly head around the corner. Zax and Akbar go to loose missiles, but only Zax hurls his... to clatter off the stone arch; Akbar is petrified as he stands!

Leudigar--averting his eyes--lunges into where he anticipates the monster to be, and is rewarded with a solid stab to what he presumes (by the terrifying squeal) to be its awful head. The monster strikes back immediately dealing 4 hp damage to the tracker, and throwing off his balance. Fortunately, Zax is there to support him, and delivers another terrible blow to the monster's head-quarters, driving it back. With the monster reeling, Zem rushes into the melee and the three rascals slash, hammer, and cut the beast down before it can do any more harm.

The statue of Akbar creaks imperceptibly as it cures in the pungent air.
Missiles
Zax and Akbar both want to loose missiles which, instinctively, has them sighting the target. A save vs petrification will determine how much of the ghastly sight they saw...
2d20 (Zax and Akbar, in that order)=19, 13. Zax is safe...Akbar requires a throw of 14+, so is petrified before he fires.
Zax's throw 1d20=12 would hit AC 7. However, the monster is mostly hidden behind the stone archway which the ref concludes is "hard cover", or equivalent to -4 protection, so it's a miss (in fact, Chainmail has hard cover being "arrow proof" except to indirect fire).

Melee; 1st Round
Leudigar (man+1) 1d20+1=16... again hardcover and blindness penalise his attack by -4 (!), so it's a 14 which would hit AC 5, so a hit. 1d6=6. a head hit too! The ref determines the medusa's hp total (4d6=??)

The medusa is a 4 HD beast, so has 4 normal attacks vs normal types; 4d20=6, 12, 1, 19. Let's presume the 19 hits Leudigar since he just stabbed it. 1d6=4, so Leudigar takes 4 hp.

By this time Karl is at the top of the ramp, Zem is near the bottom of the ramp, and Zax has switched to his pick.

Melee; 2nd Round
Even attempting to avert their eyes, the ref decides (based on the Mirror of Life Trapping description) that there is a 1 in 6 chance they will accidentally "see something nasty" during the melee. 2d6 for Leudigar, Zax=2, 1, so Zax is exposed! Before/after he attacks (even/odd)? 1d6=2, so after.
Leudigar (man+1) 1d20=9 at +1 and -4 is a miss.
Zax (man+1) 1d20=15 at +1 and -4 is a 12, which would hit AC 7, so it's a hit. 1d6=6 again!
Now Zax must save vs petrification a second time... 1d20=18! is he invulnerable?

The medusa attacks 4d20=8, 7, 10, 8. Four misses!

By this time Zem has rushed into the melee. Karl is most of the way down the ramp, and Fried is following in his wake.

Melee; 3rd and final Round for this turn
Will Leudigar, Zax, or Zem see anything nasty? 3d6=2, 1, 2! So Zax is exposed again. He seems infatuated. Before/after? 1d6=2, so after.
Leudigar, Zax, Zem all attack: 3d20=17, 20, 16 (at +1, -4 = 14, 17, 13) three hits; 3d6=2, 5, 1, total of 8 more hp, slays it.
Zax is spared a third save.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16346

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:23 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 349

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:36 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

"Well," grunts Zax, puffing slightly at his exertion as he retrieves his throwing axes, "she were no looker...."

"...but if ya'd seen ma last missus," he adds, prodding the corpse with a mailed boot, "well...."
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1619

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar looks around (still not comfortable looking at the corpse of the medusa, though, even in death) to see how the party fared in the battle. He sees Akbar with his huge arbalest pointed at them and calls out, "It's dead, Akbar. You can put that down now..."

When Akbar doesn't move, Leudigar cries out and runs up to the statue to confirm his fears.

"Damn that hideous bitch!" He returns to the group near the corpse. "Can someone stand guard while I rest a bit? Then we can see if anything can be done for our friend..."
Leudigar takes a turn to bind his wounds.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1480

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Zem is still holding tight to his Axe even after it clear the creature it dead."I thought we may had charged to our deaths for a moment. Alas poor Akbar. Tend that wound tracker, I'll stand guard."

waysoftheearth wrote:What now?


Seriously we cheer! We took out a medusa! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]

Posts: 505

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:17 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Freid finally makes it down to the lower level, "What was that thing? And what has it done to Akbar?"
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 601

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Karl says nothing, aghast at the scene. Just a minute ago, this was a comrade. Now he's a statue.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 342

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

"..."
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 349

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Zax shuffles over to where the new Statue of Akbar stands, still poised with arbalest ready to fire.

He taps the figure, not entirely gently, with his pick, and is rewarded with the clear ring of metal on stone.

"Well," he mutters, "you long-legs still have a few surprises up ur sleeves then eh? So what do you do with 'em when thar like this?"
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software