(078) A Second Expedition


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 353

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:47 am

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Akbar loads his arbalest, finally, and takes the rear position in expectation of trouble from that flank.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Freid is still near the rear. He'll keep his sword and shield at the ready and his eyes and ears open to dangers.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 189

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 am

Location: Northern California

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:10 pm

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Tonneau wrote:"Arrr...you so-called stunties have become too soft spendin' all yur time with these long-legs," grunts Zax, "Leave it to a real dwarf." He pushes his way past Zem and the noisy hobbet-thing and anyone else dawdling at the fore, ice-pick flailing hazardously past friendly noses.


Faengol watches in awe. He leans over and whispers to Kianna, "This dwarf has earned my respect, even if he does nothing else. Whether he lives or not is a different tale, one I hope he is able to tell around a mug of that brew they are so fond of."
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 am

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Zax and Brother Herald step ahead of Karl, competing for front position as they approach the crumbling stone stair, shoving and shouldering competitively as they stride ever more briskly toward the arch--each adamant that he need not break into a proper run--until, at the last moment Zax barges into the stair well and virtually staggers down the unexpectedly steep spiral immediately therein...
As far as I can make out the vanguard consists of Zax the "proper" Dwarf Fighter, Brother Herald, Karl the Fighter, followed by Dopey the Hobbet Fighter with his torch, and Zem the Dwarf Fighter.

There's only room for one in the front rank here, so the ref dices to see who is actually leading this column (Zax, The Herald, or Karl) : 1d3=1, so it's Zax.

Faengol the Elf Medium and Kianna the Elf Sister/Fighter/Medium are next, followed by Wetzel the Fighter, Leudigar the Tracker, and Sister Arian, followed by a rear guard comprising Fried the Fighter and Akbar the Fighter.

Please make a note of this marching order, along with any changes to it, over in the company topic...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 408

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:11 am

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Having finally made some progress, Zax stands in the passage refreshingly uncluttered by long-legs or pretender-stunties. He then grunts to himself and looks for something to plant his ice-pick in.
Last edited by Tonneau on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:22 am

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Zax and Brother Herald manage to calm their pace before they unceremoniously reach the base of stair. A small cloud of dust and clatter of pebbles arrives with them; the sound of marching feet following after... Karl is a few steps behind, followed by Dopey with his torch, and the others...

"It's about bloody time!" snarls a bald-headed and bespectacled Hobgoblin seated at a desk across the torch-lit room. He scratches a mark onto his ledger with a filthy quill, finishing with an emphatic stop! before looking up.

He gives an unexpected start.

"Who the Schknukk are you!?" he retorts, apparently taken aback to find a Dwarf and a vainglorious Brother of Thuul not 20ft across the room.
Dungeon Exploration turn 1

Are the players are surprised:1 # d6 → [3] so no.
Are the non-players surprosed: 1 # d6 → [2] so no.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 111

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:01 pm

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Faengol watches in awe. He leans over and whispers to Kianna, "This dwarf has earned my respect, even if he does nothing else. Whether he lives or not is a different tale, one I hope he is able to tell around a mug of that brew they are so fond of."

Kianna now breaking her Elven silence as she warms up to her new companions, and speaks quietly back to Faengol, "Me too, but let us see friend, I will say he is brave and worthy to fight by my side."

Kianna holds her bow in hand ready for any trouble.


Kianna has The Perspicacious Hornswoggle memorised.
[Hinderlands]Kianna the Elf Sister-Fighter-Medium, Elf Maiden, Fighter/MU/Cleric 1/1/1
[Hinterlands-Netherworld] Ashtad Engel (the flaming arrow), Human Maiden, Marksman 2
[Moria] Lady Éohild (Noble of Rohan), Human Women, Fighter 3
User avatar

Posts: 408

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:09 pm

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

...and something presents itself!

Zax puffs his moustache at the hobgoblin, then with an almighty swing, plants his ice-axe in the creature's skull.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 217

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 am

Location: Montreal, QC

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:11 pm

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

"We've been sent on a great errand by the wizard Zeemo to seek out a man known as Thick-Neck... Oh dear!" the Hobbet exclaims as his tale is interrupted by Zax's ferocious assault.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey
User avatar

Posts: 1505

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:10 pm

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Zem looks for the exits to this small chamber and puts himself in swinging distance of anything that tries to come in and help the hobgoblin "gate warden".
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software