(073) Wind and Sand


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1220

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Highbough remains calm in the face of danger. "As it is said among Men, 'My friends, it has been fun.'"

To Josiane who has always been his favorite of the humans, he offers a parting gift: one of his two remaining daggers. "Pray to your god you do not need to use it."

To Young Wen he chants a couplet of advice in the language of the Old Elves: "Walk without rhythm/and it won't attract the worm."

Then, with a swish of his cloak, the Grey Elf makes a soaring, cat-like leap! While he was saying his goodbyes, he was simultaneously using his superior intellect to calculate a jump-trajectory tangent to the path of the oncoming worms, in the direction of Gustave's tower. If ever he is in imminent danger of being swallowed, he will invoke the power of his Ire Spear to blink out of the worm's jaws.

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Olaf also jumps, up and toward the top of the skiff, and then he will jump again toward where Highbough is jumping. Olaf will have his sword ready to slash at any of the worms that attack him.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16497

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:41 am

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

The referee casts a doubtful eye across the hard field.

On one side, a tangle of worms that swallow men whole. On the other side, a stranded, approximately-worm-sized-hull. And. A bunch of bright, zippy figures flitting in all directions. Which is more likely to attract the interest of a walnut-brained worm, the referee wonders..?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1726

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:47 am

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Oh. Retract last action.


Desmond runs into the hull of the ship. He briefly considers trying to clamber into spiked clam-like shell, but... Reconsiders and just hunkers down next to it.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 16497

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:51 am

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

So I have it that:

Wen will fire an arrow into the gale-force wind, then seek shelter in the hull.
Desmond cuts hard right and leaps/bounds/runs for it across the sand.
Helmut shepherds Josiane below then stands on the deck with his shiny sword drawn.
Dieter leaps back to the skiff-hull... then what?
Armando is still inside the hull, along with Ulric.
Highbough is leaping heavenward from the skiff.
Olaf is sprinting/leaping back toward the skiff with a gaggle of worms right behind him.
Ashtad?

I'll be playing it out tonight...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 117

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 am

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:42 am

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

What in Thuuls name is that? thinks Helmut, as the enormity of the approaching entities makes itself clear through a gap in the swirling sands, even the mighty Blade of Seyal is naught but a toothpick to these monstrosities!

The words of his mentor drift through his mind amid the roar of the wind and sand Always adapt your strategy to the dynamic environment.

With only a moments consideration he turns on his heel and bundles Josiane back down the hatch with as much care as time allows, jumping after her into the hold and hoping against hope that the broken skiff will provide some shelter against the looming giants.
User avatar

Posts: 1726

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:18 am

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

i was under the impression that the formerly flying skiff was much smaller than the "can of worms" approaching so didn't consider it a safe haven.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 16497

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:35 am

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

The skiff is about the size of one worm, but not as large as many worms. I doubt it is "safe" if they all attack it... but they'd need a reason to think it edible first...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16497

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

There is a horrible moment of realisatation that this could be it!

Wen fires a shot over Dieter and Olaf's heads into the driving sand storm, and puts his arrow into one of the huge worms--a pin in a cushion. Then there is a frantic retreat into the hull; the only thing on the dead pan that seems large enough to not be swallowed wholesale.

Highbough, meanwhile, makes his remarks as he strides onto the deck, his Cloak of Elemental Night snapping fiercely in the torrent. He immediately sees Dieter and Olaf bounding toward the boat ahead of the monstrous sand-worms.

Dieter manages a glance over his shoulder as he bounds back onto the deck, and sees Olaf leaping and running hard about a score yards behind him. A giant shower of sand threatens to engulf the young man, but not before the worms get him! Two huge worms dive forward to snap simultaneously at Olaf--one curling in from his left, the other from his right--and knock heads, driving themselves into the sand as Olaf makes a miraculous leap for the deck; cheating death again!

Highbough leaps brightly into the sand hail, veering perpendicular to the worms and clearing 50ft of air directly over the crashed worms' heads. He has a view of all four monsters, and a terrific canyon opened up in the dunes behind them! He sees the second pair or worms turning after him as he lands, 20 yards clear of them, and then runs for the crater lip with two sand worms in dire pursuit!

Those in the crowded interior of the skiff's hull see none of this, of course.

They hear Dieter's feet clang on the deck above them, then feel the whole skiff tremble as something terrible shakes the world outside... a hail of sand pummels the exterior, then comes the vaguest hint of vertigo as the hull seems to roll or slide imperceptibly...
Worms Come!

The players are not all hidden from view--Olaf is running before the worms, and Highbough is about to leap into the sandstorm Heavens like a lure. The referee would ordinarily make a fateful reaction check to see what the worms make of these gnats, but alas! The book has it that these monsters always attack and need never check morale.

Wen fires off an arrow 1d20=19, would hit AC 2, so hits for 1d6=3 hit points.

Now two worms will go after Olaf 2d20=1, 3! Baal's Hole! That has to be the luckiest roll ever (I had my missus roll it so I wouldn't be tempted to fudge it too). Either worm could have so easily swallowed Olaf whole :shock:

The other two worms go after the lure of Highbough but he is just out of reach... this turn...

Your orders for the next exciting turn?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1220

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:09 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Highbough feels a small, salty droplet in his eye that might be a tear; he is certain the worms will crack the ship's hull like a crabshell and devour all of his friends within. But what can he do to save them? The catlike Elf calculates that the worms are not fast enough to overtake him, and continues bounding in the direction of Gustave's Tower. He will move with a somewhat erratic pace and heading, hoping to confuddle the worms' primitive tracking abilities.
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software