The First Adventure


Mushgnome's Lovecraftian PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

User avatar

Posts: 1188

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:01 am

Re: The First Adventure

!!!Ambush!!!
Turn 11, Combat Turn 0

A pale white, many-legged creature drops from the ceiling and surprises Willie. The last thing he sees before he is knocked unconscious is the face of an albino billy-goat, glaring at him with its devil-eyes. The monster head-butts Willie in the jaw, and he sees stars!

The other four Hobbets see this: Willie is knocked to the ground by a creature twice his size. It smashes him in the face, and a handful of teeth go flying! The monster stands protectively over Willie, rears up on its eight legs, and utters a baleful bleating sound!

Willie's lantern is knocked from his hand and clatters toward the crevasse. The flame flickers and sputters...

What next, Hobbetses?

Happy holidays, everyone! Time for some action...

Surprise check: 1d6=6
The creature hates light and auto-targets Willie.
Attack roll=14
0 hit points damage; it wants him alive.
Willie's save vs. paralysis=5
1d6=6 teeth
User avatar

Posts: 674

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:24 am

Re: The First Adventure

Willie lies still on the ground & bleeds!
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1188

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:32 am

Re: The First Adventure

What does Willie dream? Please describe only the first turn of the dream, for now.
User avatar

Posts: 674

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:26 pm

Re: The First Adventure

In Willie's Dream:

Ma Whitfoot sets down a towering stack of steaming, butter-drenched griddle cakes on the old table in the family kitchen.

"Thanks, Ma!" cries Willie with glee, and reaches eagerly for his knife and fork.

"Not so fast, young man!" barks Ma. "Wilibald Wuthering Whitfoot, how many times do I have to tell you not to eat with your fingers ... attached?!"

From its place tucked behind her apron she draws forth a massive axe, and begins swinging it & tossing it in the air.

"First Rule of Dinner Club: fingers on the table, young man!" she orders.

Willie grudgingly places his hand on the familiar, worn table-top, and then ...
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 170

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:27 am

Post Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:40 am

Re: The First Adventure

[OOC: was Willie the only hobbet with a lantern or torch lit?]

Chegs raises his shield into position & prepares to strike the white beastie if it should close within range.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5
User avatar

Posts: 1188

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Willie's lantern is (was?) the only light source.

There is no rush. I know people are busy around the new year. I'll wait a few days if necessary for everyone to check in.
User avatar

Posts: 405

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:22 am

Re: The First Adventure

Potty is examining a potentially interesting fungal patch when there is a thud combined with a gargled scream, and - before he can glance up - a bloodied tooth lands in front of his glass.

He reaches out to retrieve it in confusion when the lights go out.

Oh dear, he thinks.
Potty pockets his glass and holds his walking stick up defensively against the darkness...all of it
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1714

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:13 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Feeling a sort of friendship he’s never felt before... maybe it comes from adventuring together... Dougal draws his sword, advances towards the... goat... and attacks!
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 16493

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:56 am

Re: The First Adventure

PULL HIM BACK! Yells Tet, as he dives to save the lantern from going over the edge.
Happy New Year folks!

I fear if the lights go out we won't last a jiffy. Someone work on a plan B in case Tet doesn't make it...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1188

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:36 am

Re: The First Adventure

Combat Turn 1

Willie's nightmare continues. (Please narrate 1 additional turn of his dream sequence.)

Potty and Chegs prepare for the worst.

Dougal bravely stands up to the eight-legged goat and stabs it in the chest with his sword. The beast seems more surprised than damaged by the hobbet's aggression and gives an angry hissing sound.

Tet runs as fast as he can to catch the runaway lantern. He dives at full extension, but just misses as the lantern slips through his fingertips. Tet lands on his belly with his arm, shoulder, and head hanging over the lip of the crevasse. He watches the lantern drop into the abyss; it falls a looooooooong way, fading to a distant spark, and then the light is snuffed out and Tet hears a faint 'splash' sound.

The party is plunged into total darkness.

Your intentions for Turn 2?

Image


It's showtime!

Tet must roll 1d20 under his Dex to catch the lantern. He just misses with a roll of 11.

Dougal wins initiative 3-2 and rolls 16 to hit for 4hp damage.
PreviousNext

Return to Deeper Arkham

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software