The First Adventure


Mushgnome's Lovecraftian PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

User avatar

Posts: 1296

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: The First Adventure

We haven't heard from Chegs in a while. I'm thinking I will temporarily NPC him, and he would donate a flask of oil to the cause. Yea or nay?
User avatar

Posts: 1296

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:33 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Can we take a moment to discuss house rules for oil as a weapon?

I've typically used a 'molotov cocktail' rule where flasks of oil flare-up on impact as grenade-like weapons.

An arguably more 'realistic' rule is that dousing the target with oil is one action, and then igniting the oil (perhaps with a lit torch or flaming arrow, for example) is a separate action.

Which option is more immersive and fun for the group? I'm open to suggestions.
User avatar

Posts: 1762

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:06 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Unless prepared ahead of time, I think it has to be the latter.

And Yay on Chegs making a donation of a flask of oil to the cause.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 761

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Agreed on Chegs. Agreed on non-molotov oil.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1296

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: The First Adventure


Alright, so if Chegs throws a flask of oil at the rats, what is the plan to light it? He's going to aim for the 'Y' to try and block the rats coming from both the south-southwest and south-southeast tunnels.
User avatar

Posts: 761

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:14 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Our only light source is Dougal's lantern, I think. With Dougal & Willie both engaged in fending off rats, and Chegs applying the oil, we'll have to hope that Tet or Potty have the equipment (tinderbox & torch) to apply fire.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1296

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:56 am

Re: The First Adventure

acodispo wrote:we'll have to hope that Tet or Potty have the equipment (tinderbox & torch) to apply fire.


Tet has tinderbox & torches in his inventory. Potty does not. (Though if we are to be generous we might rule that the "pipe and pipeweed" in Potty's inventory implies a tinderbox or at least a box of matches.)
User avatar

Posts: 16506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Yikes! says Tet, I bet them rodents are after me tucker! He works as quickly as he can to free his bundle of torches, and get several of them lit up.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1296

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:00 am

Re: The First Adventure

Chegs readies a flask of oil while Tet fumbles with his tinderbox.

Meanwhile the others try to hold back the tide of rats. Dougal stabs 14 rats, while Willie whacks 11. Even Potty gets in on the action, clubbing 4 rats that slip past the front line.

Chegs hurls the oil into the intersection, and then Tet throws the lit torch. There is a whoosh of flame, and 68 rats are barbecued!

The surviving rats retreat to the south, shrieking in terror.

What next, heroes?
User avatar

Posts: 761

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Willie wipes his brow.

"Phew! Nice work every body. That was a close one. What say we head west from here as we'd planned before we were interrupted?"

He points down the large-ish passage directly to the west.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Deeper Arkham

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software