The First Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:27 am

The First Adventure

Turn 1

One by one the Hobbet Heroes pass Frederick's test and descend the ladder into the Dungeon.

It's pitch black down here.

Who's got a light?

*** As of 2020, the image links are broken, sorry about that! Please refer to the map here: http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic ... 352#p31352 ***
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:43 am

Re: The First Adventure

Bless me but I can't see a thing! complains Tet, rummaging blindly in his pack for his smoking pipe and tinder. Ah, here is it! he announces, and strikes a tiny flame from the box of rough little phosphor sticks, then blows on it gently to kindle a wee bit of tinder until it's strong enough to fire one of the half dozen torches he has lugged all the way from home.

Best get a couple of these lit up, me thinks; it's gonna be plenty dark down here. Who else brought torches?
Tet had six torches; so five left, plus this one.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Tet lights a torch and becomes aware of his surroundings. The entry cave is clean, dry, and featureless. The cave walls, ceiling, and floor are composed of gently rippled limestone. The only visible exit is a tunnel to the north. It's a tight squeeze with a low ceiling. Only a hobbet (or a human child) could possibly fit. Our heroes would have to crawl through one at a time.

Tet's position is marked with a 'T'. Squares lit by his torch are tinted yellow. The shadowy tunnel to the north, at the edge of his torchlight, is tinted gray. Hope that's clear enough?

No wandering monsters this turn.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:37 am

What is the map scale? Presumably (by the torch range) it is 10ft per square-ish?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Map squares are 10'x10'.

Post by acodispo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:15 pm

Willies sets his back on the ground & removes his lantern, which was strapped to the side of it, and a flask of oil from inside the pack.

"I've got my lantern right here!" he says, proudly. "Can I get a light?"

Once the lantern is lit, he gets on his hands & knees & holds the lantern into the north passage, hoping to see a little further.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Seeing the party has plenty of light, Dougal keeps his own lantern safely strapped to his pack.

He adjusts his backpack and shoulderbag and glances to the north. "I suppose someone with a light should go first and the other one with a light should bring up the rear?"

Expecting Tet to lead the way, Dougal moves towards him, eager to explore the cavern...
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Chegs pulls out his warhammer & straps on his shield and follows the others.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5

Post by Tonneau » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:43 pm

Potty watches the display of hobbetian machismo unfold for a few moments as shields and weapons are set.

He pulls his glass from his pack and, no stranger to caves (some of his more exotic finds were achieved in such locales), scans about for errant fungi.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:30 am

Willie lights his lantern, gets on his hands and knees, and peers into the northern passage. It's impossible to see more than 15-20' because the tunnel is narrow, low-ceilinged, and not perfectly straight. Willie worries he would get stuck unless he removes his backpack and either pushes it in front of, or pulls it behind, of himself. He doubts that his friends wearing metal armor will fit through at all.

Potty finds no sign of fungal life. He suspects this is due to the dry conditions.
House Rule:

Characters with metal armor may choose to remove their plates or mail and strip down to their gambesons. This leaves the fighting-hobbet with protection equal to leather and eliminates armor-related penalties to swimming, climbing, or squeezing. It takes 1 turn to convert your armor in this way, and 1 turn to convert it back. The metal bits of armor fit neatly into a standard large sack, but if no suitable sack is available, and the armor is carried about loose, then there is zero chance of surprising most enemies, due to the clanking sounds.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”