(088) The Undervaults


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1025

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Tue May 01, 2018 4:36 pm

Re: (088) The Undervaults

Boggs casually puts his hand down his own trousers, to help the caveman feel at ease. In fluent and polite caveman-talk he says, "Hello cave friend. How you do? Meesa Boggs the Dwarf. Can you show us the way back to the surface? Trade you shiny-shiny." Boggs rummages in his pockets for a suitable item to barter and finds his signal whistle. "Look! Beautiful dwarf musical instrument. Very loud. You impress your friends!!"
Last edited by mushgnome on Tue May 01, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

Posts: 488

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Tue May 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Re: (088) The Undervaults

Brother Walfried does his best to appear non-threatening & even manages to force his stern face into something resembling either a grimace or a smile.

He listens to Boggs' communication with the caveman with bemusement.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 9, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+cloak of elvenkind, short-bow, or helm+shield, hand-axe, color spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 353

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Wed May 02, 2018 5:03 am

Re: (088) The Undervaults

Morin rummages in his pack and produces a roast partridge, and an apple. These are graciously offered to our host, with gestures to mime eating, and fingers pointed upwards to indicate our desired destination.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16460

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 02, 2018 10:41 am

Re: (088) The Undervaults

The caveman stands stock still a moment, while long-disused neurons struggle to connect, then grunts and comes back into motion. He pulls the hand out of his nether region and unconsciously flicks away a blot of dislodged smeg as he takes a loping stride forward, reaching out with the same smelly hand. "Gimme dat!" he snorts (in a little know dialect of Cave-Ee), snatching the whistle from Boggs . He holds it close to his face, sniffing, shaking, listening, and nibbling it to ascertain its use or edibility. "Shiny," he eventually agrees with disappointment, and unceremoniously drops it upon the floor as he stride over to grab the roast fowl from Morin. One sniff, then he stuffs half the bird into his gob and proceeds to deconstruct it in a manner most unbecoming...
Reaction check 2d6=5 (negative!) but adjusted +1 for the interesting looking whistle, and +1 for the food, makes 7 (uncertain...)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 488

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Wed May 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: (088) The Undervaults

Brother Walfried looks on, somewhat aghast, and resists the urge to ask what's happening.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 9, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+cloak of elvenkind, short-bow, or helm+shield, hand-axe, color spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1025

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Wed May 02, 2018 10:48 pm

Re: (088) The Undervaults

"Yes, yes, all for you. Eat-eat. Now you help us? Show us the way up to surface?" Boggs asks hopefully.
User avatar

Posts: 16460

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri May 04, 2018 8:36 am

Re: (088) The Undervaults

I believe the convention is that if you get an "uncertain" reaction result, you need to up the ante in order to warrant a further check. E.g., M&M p6 <<An "uncertain" reaction leaves the door open to additional reward offers, but scores under 6 do not>>. Otherwise Cavey remains indifferent to you...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1025

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Fri May 04, 2018 5:12 pm

Re: (088) The Undervaults

Alas Boggs has nothing edible to offer. What do the other players think about a "take us to your leader" tactic? Or should we count are blessings the caveman wasn't hostile, and move on? Any other bright ideas?
User avatar

Posts: 16460

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 05, 2018 12:46 am

Re: (088) The Undervaults

Well... he hasn't got to Morin's apple yet. Maybe that's the "prize"?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 353

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Sat May 05, 2018 3:07 am

Re: (088) The Undervaults

Indeed, Morin buffs the red fruit to a warm shine and presents it, with attendant drama, to the caveman.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software