(082) The Darkness Below


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri May 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

The monster has entered the ruins area, so Karl won't easily get a shot; especially not with his fellow jumping in to melee it. Shall we call it "all in" and be done?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 705

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Fri May 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

waysoftheearth wrote:The monster has entered the ruins area, so Karl won't easily get a shot; especially not with his fellow jumping in to melee it. Shall we call it "all in" and be done?


Sure.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 06, 2017 2:28 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Fried runs up to attack as Karl switches to his sword and shield. Zem and Leudigar hold their positions just long enough before springing their attack as the monster bursts through the arch.

Anticipating her arrival by the approach of her terrible squeal they time their swings perfectly to coincide with her emergence, but in their attempts to not see her awful visage, only Fried manages to deliver a glancing blow. In response the medusa punishes them furiously, dropping Leudigar and dealing insidious blows to Karl and Fried. Zem gets a fright, but isn't petrified.

Momentarily afterward Karl manages to land a solid hit, but the monster responds in brutal fashion, crushing his helm and dropping Karl too.

It is looking desperate; only Fried and Zem are left standing!
The monster charges through the ruins to immediately attack, as the players get organised, protecting their eyes by whatever means they have. Melee is joined with time for two rounds this turn.

First Round
The medusa is "the attacker", but the players have longer weapons. The ref decides to dice for initiative: 2d6; players=3, medusa=1!

Will any of the players accidentally glimpse the horror this round? On a 1 they do: 4d6: Fried=6, Karl=4, Zem=1, Leudigar=5. Zem is exposed! Before 1-3 or after 4-5 he attacks? 1d6=6, so after.
4 attacks (Man+1 at -4 for averting eyes): 4d20=20, 8, 10, 9. That's one hit; 1d6=2 hp (total damage sustained so far = 6 hp).
Zem saves vs petrification: 1d20=19! That's a save.

The medusa responds with 4 attacks as a man. 4d20=10, 20, 17, 19. That is gonna hurt. Who is targeted by the 20, 17, 19? 1=Fried, 2=Karl, 3=Zem, 4=Leudigar: 3d4=1, 4, 2. So Fried, Leudigar, Karl. 3d6=5, 2, 4. Very hurty indeed... Fried takes 5 hp (reduced to 2 of 7), Leudigar takes 2hp (reduced to 0 hp, incap), and Karl takes 4 hp (reduced to 1 of 5).

The referee wonders whether or not these attacks are poisoned asp bites? Hmm.

Second Round
Seeing her? 3d6=2, 4, 3, so no.
Fried, Karl, and Zem attack, 3d20: 1, 17, 3. One hit, 1d6 = 5 hp (total damage sustained so far = 11 hp).

Now it's looking serious indeed...

Medusa responds: 4d20=6, 16, 13, 19. Who is targeted by the 16, 13, 19? 1=Fried, 2=Karl, 3=Zem: 3d3=2,3,3. So it's Karl, Zem, Zem. Karl is AC 3 so the 16 exactly hits him for 1d6=6 hp! Its a head hit. It dashes his helm off and delivers 1 hp damage (Karl is reduced to 0 of 5, incap). Zem is AC 3, so the 13 misses, and the 19 hits. 1d6=3hp (Zem's sheets says he's on 5 of 6, so is now is reduced to 2 of 6).

Two left standing!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 06, 2017 2:32 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

It's down to the wire, edge of the seat stuff. What orders for Fried and Zem?

Leudigar and Karl can utter a few words, beg for help, try to drag themselves aside, or just be dazed and confused...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Sat May 06, 2017 4:40 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Freid attacks again, hoping for a kill shot!
Have to keep attacking and hope to kill it before it kills us!
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1762

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Sat May 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar lapses into silence, thinking he'd rather be in a bar having a drink than bleeding out on a dungeon floor...
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 1504

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Sat May 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Wounded badly but not dead Zem gathers himself for a final strike. "DIEEEEE!!!"
Yikes this looks bad. Guess when you're done to 4 fighters your suppose to leave the dungeon. :lol:
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Aright. In case anyone cares, I figured that there is about a 70% chance that both Zem and Fried will avoid the medusa's gaze, and a 58% chance that at least one of Zem and Fried will score a hit. It they both miss, it could go nasty. The dice never lie, so let's see...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 06, 2017 2:18 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Zem and Fried battle on against the medusa, desperate to survive. Fried swiftly deals the feral thing a glancing blow and takes one right back; he's at his last gasp. But there's no pause; Zem distracts it, allowed Fried to deliver the fatal head blow with his sword! Shhwack! It drops dead in a hideous pile, and for a moment there is an unbelievable silence. Four fighters live, but the Hezmog Company has been truly savaged...
There can be up to three rounds of melee this turn, but we may not need all three...

First Round
Zem and Fried and the initiative; both are averting their eyes (-4 attack penalty).
Do either of them see the medusa? 2d6: Zem=3, Fried=4, so no.
2d20 (Man+1 @-4) this is a series throw: Zem=14-3=11 (miss!), Fried=19-3=16 (hit!). 1d6=3 (total damage sustained=14).

The medusa's attacks: 4d20=2, 10, 1, 15. Who is targeted by the 15? 1-3 Zem, 4-6 Fried 1d6=4, so Fried (Doh, would have missed Zem) 1d6=1!!! Fried is down to 1 of 7.

Second Round
Do either of our stalwarts see the medusa this round? 2d6: Zem=4, Fried=6, so no.
2d20 (Man+1 @-4) every throw now is serious as: Zem=9-3=6 (another miss!), Fried=18-3=15 (another hit!). 1d6=6 that's HUGE! (total damage sustained=20, slaying it).
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Fried was lucky to sustain 1 hp when anything else would have finished him, and then score that 6 hp hit on the reverse. That's D&D, folks :)

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software