(082) The Darkness Below


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 709

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Wed May 03, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Yes, Karl intends to look at the medusa from bow range. He is not up close and he is directing his attention at his target point, i.e., the center of mass.

He will attempt to avoid her direct gaze, in other words, but he does need to look at her 'in general' to shoot her.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Wed May 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Freid is asking Leudigar to direct his throw using his mirror rather than looking directly at the Medusa, same with throwing the torch, if we get that far. He's doing what he can to avoid looking directly at the monster's face and still toss the oil so that it splashes over her.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed May 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar will provide such direction, using words like "other side" and "on my side" to avoid confusion with using a mirror to peer backwards and describe directions to someone else...
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 408

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Wed May 03, 2017 11:40 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Zax is not having anything get between him and that gold now. He lets the snake-woman taste ax.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu May 04, 2017 12:07 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

In the ramp room Fried fishes desperately for oil in his pack but comes up empty, while Leudigar and Zem take defensive positions and Karl runs up to the ruin with his bow at the ready and, as soon has he has a bead, draws and looses an arrow...

In the treasure room itself, as Zax takes a few paces toward the loot, the hideous monster comes charging right at him with a furious squeal. He reflexively hurls his belt ax as the snake-women looms between him and the loot... the ax leaves his hand with perfect grace, and strike the horror simultaneously with Karl's arrow; but alas! Zax never sees it hit.

Leudigar, fumbling his mirror to catch the action, half sees the hideous thing rushing up to the ruin and out of sight. It's close. Real close! Surely be upon him in a heart beat!
Eris, I clicked the "Manfried" link in your sig (below every post) to jump to your sheet. No oil mentioned, I'm afraid.

Zax has to see the target to fire at it, so requires a saving throw versus petrification: 1d20=11. That's a lookup... 5th level fighter requires a 12. Erk. Before (1-3) or after (4-6) the ax leaves his hand? 1d6=4, so after. Zax's final attack throw 1d20 (man+1)=20! Well now... 1d6=3 hp damage. That can't kill her even if she has the (unlikely) minimum 4 hp, so Zax is petrified.

Karl has to make more than 1/2 a move to reach a line of sight in the ruin. Therefore, he gets one shot "on the move". But he also has to sight the target to aim, so requires a save versus petrification: 1d20=18, that's a save. Bow shot 1d20 (man+1) = 17, that's a hit for 1d6=1 hp :(

The ref dices for the medusa's hp 4d6=?

What orders for the next, a possibly decisive, turn folks?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1505

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Thu May 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Zem looks at Leudigar, "Say when tracker and my Axe will strike.".

Zem will hold at the threshold as soon as Leudigar gives the word he will raise his shield above his face and strike mercilessly with his axe. I suggest Karl not be between Zem and the Medusa :)
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 709

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Thu May 04, 2017 1:05 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Karl stands and takes another shot.
Sure, he's pushing his luck, but so are his friends out there.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu May 04, 2017 2:09 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar's face pales as the tactless gnome goes still. He draws his sword, jaws set.

"We will fight it together, Zem."

Leudigar spins around the corner, trying his best to watch the ground for the creature's presence, swinging his silvered sword and blocking with his fine, long dirk.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Thu May 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Coming up empty of oil, Freid curses and strides forward with shield raised and his sword in his hand. He'll keep his shield up and look for the monster's lower body under the shield. If he gets close enough to strike a blow he'll do it this turn. If not, he'll try again next turn.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 408

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Thu May 04, 2017 10:36 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

...surely Zax's experience with far more hideous creatures (his ex-missus) should grant him a +1 to the save? Ah well, at least he leaves a beautiful statue, with one eye pointed at the treasure, one at the foe
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software