(076) Off the Beaten Track


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 751

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:54 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"I agree with Wetzel," Karl says."Especially if the hunting can stretch our food supply."
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

After hearing most of the party speak up with their thoughts, Leudigar makes a quick tally.

"It appears the highest agreement is with moving down to the woods to establish a temporary camp and watch to see what activity there is. I think I agree with this. If we don't secure food and water, we can't stay for long. If we have to return to Manfred's camp, that gives whatever is here time to get reinforcements. Plus, it might give us a bit of information about what we're up against. I think this is the wise and prudent choice."

If everyone can eventually be persuaded to go the route of the woods, then the tracker loses no time in trying to get them there before nightfall.


After four years of playing an impatient and impulsive hobbet, it is really weird to try and play a character with opposite traits.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:09 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"Yeah, down into the valley and scout the place out is the wisest course of action." Gunt says with a shrug.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 189

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 am

Location: Northern California

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:21 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Faengol leans on his staff more heavily. "I have no objections to moving under a forest. This I must caution, if goblins have been debauching in the woods they may sully the very nature of it."
User avatar

Posts: 408

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:32 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"Wisest choice is it then?" croaks Gurthrude with a sigh, "As you will then, but lets not dilly dally."

ehiker133 wrote:After four years of playing an impatient and impulsive hobbet, it is really weird to try and play a character with opposite traits.

As for switching from impulsive hobbits - at least this character still has just the one head
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:45 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Alfwin would fall into line ready to follow the others.
This adventure is young, still plenty of time to get a second head for the ranger.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:43 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Leudigar would NEVER eat a fruit from an upside down tree.

Honestly, I can't even remember where we found the tree...
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 408

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:10 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

There is certainly value in an extra head: for example a ranger could track while simultaneously scanning the horizon for foes! Hmm...perhaps we should seek that tree out?
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16509

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:49 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

After some deliberation upon the ridge top, the company determine their best course would be scale down the escarpment to therein locate a commodious campsite on the forested valley floor. However the descent is virtually vertical to a rope length, then difficult--at best--below that. Leudigar the Tracker judges the crater rim to offer better rock climbing opportunities nearer the gate and so trots off east along the rim in search of any goat track or navigable course with the company marching more cautiously after him...

...by mid afternoon Leudigar is beginning to feel exposed as he moves along the ridge top, even crouched low as he goes with his cloak flung broadly over him. Still, he has found no clear trail that would carry even a boy down the rock face. He is about to turn back, disappointed, when he makes a discovery. As he turns to look behind him he chances to glimpse a vertical line of sunlight apparently splitting a broad stone near the precipice. Moving to investigate, he swiftly discovers it is an narrow defile purposefully carved through the rock that an arrow or dart might be shot through from a hidden cupola--a secret watch room large enough for perhaps four Men. On inspection it appears not long disused and, mercifully, it is built over an ancient stone stair, so narrow and perilously steep that it is almost wholly hidden from view in a crevice that runs halfway down the escarpment before reaching an equally perilous goat track that hardly marks the rock face. Farther below, Leudigar discerns another portion of old, crenelated wall--its battlements facing into the valley...
Wilderness Exploration Turn 4 (2nd move)

* The referee dices to determine whether Leudigar will search to the east (odds: toward the gate), or south-west (evens: away from the gate): d6 → 1 so toward the gate.

* The ref dices to determine whether Leudigar finds a suitable route: d6 → 4, so the ranger does (where any but a ranger would not).

* The ref dices for Hezmog's scouts: d6 → ?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:53 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Leudigar quickly makes his way back to the others to share his discovery. He leads them to the hidden stairway and begins descending, taking the lead.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software