(076) Off the Beaten Track


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 408

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:17 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"If you don't mind I'll leave the late nights to you young fellows," says Gerthrude, rubbing a hip after the days treck, "An old woman needs her rest, as Edith says, ooh yes."
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:50 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Boggs the Mouser searches briefly for signs of rodents then smiles knowingly as he observes Wetzel constructing his deadfalls; the company rat-catcher is quite sure the little man's effort will come to naught. Later, the dwarfs build a cookfire to boil tatters and onions to go with bread and gravy. Camp side tales are told while victuals, watered wine, and good pipeweed are shared, before the company turn in as their comrades take the allocated night watches in pairs...

...when the chilly dawn comes at last, Karl the Fighter and Brother Herald awake their fellows; Weztel rises to find his traps undisturbed. The grey sky is a motley of clouds; the new day promises to be cooler and overcast... perhaps there will be rain?
The referee dices for a night encounter: d6 → 3 so nothing of note.

And for Wetzel's traps: d6 → 1 so nothing.

Weather for the forthcoming day: 2d6 → 9 so overcast.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:35 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

The company break their fast before setting off once more through the hilly roughlands. Most are thankful the weather is still cool for the going seems forever sloped and uneven, and in the main part steadily uphill!

Leudigar the Tracker continues to break the trail ahead, but by the noon break he has a growing concern that the company is veering farther south than truly south-east from Manfred's camp, which has long since disappeared from sight. The company pushes on after midday, but still they find no sign of any trail or other indication that these wilds might see traffic of any kind. It is becoming evident that somebody aught to have obtained directions from the scouts who sighted this supposed hillfort... but be that as it may, our stolid adventurers push doggedly on.

For a blessing there is yet fresh water to be found along the way; here and there are tiny rock pools or mossy, gurgling springs... just large enough to fill a skin. And for a greater Blessing they have no sight of any enemy.

As the day wanes toward evening, Leudigar is all the more aware of the company's methodical progress; surely Manfred's scouts would have coursed lithely through these hills carrying scarcely a knife belt, rather than marching stoically with heavy mail and packs..?

The clouds are clearing by dusk, and the night promises once more to be chill...
Wilderness Exploration Turn 2

We have already determined (below) there will be overcast weather conditions.

In the absence of more specific instructions, the ref can only presume the company will continue to head north-easterly in a cautious manner:

* The ref dices to determine whether the company's progress is detected by Manfred's scouts: d6 → ?

* The ref dices to determine whether the company's progress is detected by Hezmog's scouts: d6 → ?

* The ref dices to determine whether the company will become lost (delayed): d6 → ?

* The ref dices to determine whether an encounter occurs this day: d6 → ?

* The ref dices to determine whether Leudigar the Tracker or Faengol the Elf Medium will chance to spy a useful sign: d6 → ?

The second day draws toward dusk with the company having navigated a further three 3-mile hexes: hill, hill, hill, all in a south-easterly direction.

One day of supplies are consumed; five days of supplies remain.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:39 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Unless you prefer to rotate the watch duty, I will assume the same pattern of watches as the previous night.

Unless you state otherwise, I will assume you keep a small campfire going thru the night.

What plans for next turn (being the third day out)?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

To see if he can reduce the depletion of their food supply, Leudigar offers to hunt for food after they make camp the second day. Successful or not, the next morning he suggests, "It might be better if Faengol and I lighten our loads (well... Faengol, anyway) and search for the goblin fort while the rest of you stay in camp. Maybe the rest could forage or hunt for food to supplement our meager supplies while we try and find the right path?"
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

The Herald says, I suggest we don't waste time and effort hunting right now. Our food won't keep so there's no point in hoarding it. Best to enjoy it now and worry about hunting on the way back when we're tapped out.


I am in favor of the same watch duty and campfire as the night before. Tomorrow night we should go dark as we get closer to Hezmog's scouts. I don't know that we're completely lost yet, as we move more slowly than the scouts do. If we haven't found signs of Hezmog by mid-day tomorrow, maybe then we take steps to figure out where we went wrong.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:52 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Gunt drinks water from his skin and munches on a bit of his rations and grumbles, "Tomorrow is the third day and we only have seven days of food. We won't have long at this Snork place before we have to turn back. And if we don't find anything worth this trip, I for one, will be in big trouble."

"One of you smart folk should have gotten us a map, so we wouldn't be wandering around out here." Gunt continues to grumble, "But hey! Maybe you are all as dumb as I am."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Subtle hint from referee: Finding a trail or a lost villiage in the wilderness is kinda like finding a secret door in a dungeon...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:00 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

waysoftheearth wrote:Subtle hint from referee: Finding a trail or a lost villiage in the wilderness is kinda like finding a secret door in a dungeon...


With subtle hint in mind, I still think elf and tracker should ACTIVELY search for goblin fort. Maybe even elf, tracker, and mouser - tracker to keep others from getting lost, elf and mouser to search for fort.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 1505

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:06 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

yeah the Ranger should start doing his job :lol:
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software