(073) Wind and Sand


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 751

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:05 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Now that the worm has taken its mouth away from Dieter, he'll attack it in the flank. That is, once he finds some footing.

How tunnel-like is this worm passage?
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Wen quickly decides on his next move. With a worm on his trail he chooses to move the full round to gain some distance from the beast. Angling towards a black rock in the vicinity of the Ring.


ummm Yikes! Going to move this round then next round fire and move to the ring. Not sure I'll stand up to a single hit from that thing so its best to keep moving. Just think another 13 or 14 shoots and I might kill it.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:35 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Not to meta too much, but giant sand worms destroying the ring of stones would be a really bad thing, as far as us getting back to our own world goes...
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 1506

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

The thought occurred to me ;p hopefully it won't come to that.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Desmond scrambles to a crack in the hull where he can see daylight and tries to peer out to see what is going on and maybe why the ship appears to be moving again.

If the sand worms are still in the immediate vicinity, he stays put. If it looks like they are going past the ship, then he'll evacuate it.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche

Posts: 117

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 am

Post Sat May 02, 2015 7:56 am

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Helmut throws himself bodily over Josiane as timbers fly and the skiff is sent spinning.

Baals breath, what form of beasts are these? Thuul protect us!

He holds on tight hoping the great beast will pass, and perhaps then they will have a chance to escape.
User avatar

Posts: 16509

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu May 07, 2015 12:55 am

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Highbough and Wen perilously draw their respective worms farther from the skiff hull...

Inside the hull our heroes are shaken and buffetted wildly about as the hull seems to race down a slope then take a 50ft drop before crashing to a new plateau. Desmond tries to get a view of what is goign on through a gap in the planing, but everyone inside is tripped and freefalling and landing flat on their backs with a bone jarring crash! Then the hull comes to rest; is seems darker and cooler, and red sand is rushing into the space; the skiff-wreck now seems in danger of being burried by sand!

Outside, Dieter prepares himself to attack the giant worm's flank. He's just in time to see its foul tail-stinger rising up to spear him as the ground under him gives way and he is suddenly sliding down into the great sand canyon after the skiff! It's a short, gritty ride down, with tons of sand rushing in after him, but before he knows it Dieter is sprawled no the bottom of a worm canyon, adjacent to the skiff hull. Amazingly, he sees the stony structures of pasages and chambers sprawling off ahead. There must be a labyrinth below the desert, and the worm tunnels have temporarily opened it up!
Highbough's Pursuit
Will Highbough get ahead of the two worms? 1d6=1, so no. Thus the two worms are able to attack.
2d20=8 @-4 assuming Highbough is acting purely defensively (would hit AC6 and not swallow AC9), 6 (would hit AC8 and not swallow AC9)
Highbough is AC6, so the first worm hits him for 2d6=8 hit points.
However, the ref will allow Highbough to utilse the limited power of the Ire Spear to blink out of harm's way (if desired).

Wen's Pursuit
Will Wen get ahead of the one worm? 1d6=3, so yes.
(Elves can move and fire without penalty but, technically, can still only fire in the forward direction. I'll allow firing backward on the move but make it 1 in 6 less likely to outdistance the worm).
Will the worm stay in the chase? 1d6=6, so yes.
The pursuit will continue next turn...

Dieter's Stand
Dieter tries to attack the flank of the passing worm as it glides by.
Will be be sucked into the sinkhole? The ref decides to use the pit trap mechanic, and rolls for the hungry sinkhole: 1d6=6! So yes, Dieter is sucked down!
(Probably not a bad thing as he unknowingly avoids the worm's poison stinger attack).

Will Highbough use his blink or take an 8 hp hit?

What orders for your next turn?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu May 07, 2015 1:02 am

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Sensing no movement from the skiff, Desmond quickly gets up and, checking that the coast is clear first, exits the skiff and looks around for some shadows in which to hide.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 353

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Thu May 07, 2015 5:25 am

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

Picking himself up off whichever interior surface of the vessel he's landed on, Armando peers out the nearest breach into the gloomy space beyond. Sensing an imminent deluge of sand, and noting what appear to be stonework passageways, he shouts into the vessel: "Best be quick, comrades, this ship may soon be buried!" With that, he'll follow Desmond outside into the shadows ...
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 751

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Thu May 07, 2015 1:15 pm

Re: (073) Wind and Sand

If Dieter can get inside a structure down here, instead of hanging around in a worm tunnel, he'll do that first.

Once the worms have passed (if they do), then he can look for his comrades. And he can hope they have some healing on them.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software