(065) An Unlikely Rendezvous


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1057

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:20 pm

Re: (065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

waysoftheearth wrote:
mushgnome wrote:"Of course it is still dangerous out there; that's why I want to have a look and see what beast or army might be marching our way!" retorts an irritable Highbough. But if nobody volunteers to watch his back while he climbs the bell tower, then he will grudgingly heed Olaf's advice about not splitting up the party.


Let us assume that Beringar agrees to accompany Highbough to the bell tower, and to stand a watch at its base while Highbough clambers up it...


(OOC: Thanks, waysoftheearth! Highbough will climb the tower with Beringar keeping watch for were-nuns, Nizzib, etc.)
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: (065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

Highbough (and Beringar)

The abbey seems quiet. It is getting on toward the later part of the afternoon, and the sky is a motley of dun and ocher tinged clouds labouring westward ahead of a restless wind.

The burned and broken yard is already half filled with lengthening shadow so that the upper portion of the bell tower seems bright and alabaster where it rises into the direct sunlight. Highbough climbs the narrow chimney in it with some effect, to eventually emerge in the little cupola platform that houses the bell. It's a 6ft square crow's nest with a tiled pyramid roof suspended over it on four legs.

Highbough inhales the fresh air with deep appreciation as he surveys the abbey and all the lands around from his vantage... he spies no moving thing within bow shot nor march of the abbey. 'Tis peaceful, even. The hinterlands are a patchwork of rocky outcroppings and thatchy steppes, rising ever higher into the east where--far off--Highbough knows the iron gates of Hezmog await...

To the west and north the lands spill out into rolling grasslands and broad meadows. In the more westerly direction lies Ket--invisible from here even to Elvish eyes-- and more north-westerly lies Wildwood; nothing more than a blue-green haze on the horizon from here.

It all seems safe and serene for now. But evening will come in a few hours, followed by night. What then, by night?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1057

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:34 am

Re: (065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

Highbough descends creakily from the bell tower. To Beringar he expresses, "Gratitude, lowly serf from the north, Man whose name I cannot recall."

He returns to the Chapel and seeks out Wen. In the Elvish language he explains, "The coast is clear for miles around. We are in quite literally the most dangerous place we could possibly be, save perhaps Hezmog to the east. Beware the curious shadow that will speak to you in your own tongue and peer back at you with your own face!"

The old Elf is exhausted from the exertion of his climb, and rests for a while, leaning tripod-style on his Ire Spear.

"What news from your pet rats, young Wen?"
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:16 am

Re: (065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

| Dieter, Desmond, Olaf, and Wen over to thread 66 please... |

Ulric, Torben, Armando, Ashtad, and Valorn remain in the chapel.

Josiane, Dorgan, and Helmut are en-route to/from the front door.

Highbough and Beringar are en-route to/from the belltower.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 117

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 am

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:36 pm

Re: (065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

Helmut checks the remaining crossbows for signs of still being loaded, and removed bolts from those that are, before pushing open the door (again) and stepping outside.
User avatar

Posts: 1057

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Re: (065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

The senile old Elf is talking to nobody, something about pet rats for anyone who understands Elvish...
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:53 am

Re: (065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

The Lobby (Josiane, Dorgan, and Helmut)

Helmut checks each crossbow, but finds they have all been previously dis-armed by some ingenious hand.

This done he pushes the front door wide and strides outside once more.

"Erk!" "Milord!" "Thuul be praised!" gasp and utter the half-score pilgrims who are huddled on the doorstep. They look a weary and bedraggled lot--much of their zeal eroded by the grueling trek from Maine.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:51 pm

Re: (065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

Dorgan scratches his beard and blows a long sigh through his mustaches. He looks at Josiane.

"Where we gonna put all of 'em? Espech'ly when that dopple-thingy is wandering 'round here. Any chance we can just tell 'em all ta hike it back ta Maine?"
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord

Posts: 117

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 am

Post Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Re: (065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

"Inside!", ushers Helmut, all but shooing the pilgrims before him into the abbey, "We have found some allies, but there are yet enemies within, so do as you are told and you may live another day."
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Re: (065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

The Lobby (Josiane, Dorgan, and Helmut)

|
sully wrote:"Any chance we can just tell 'em all ta hike it back ta Maine?"


They have not yet completed the Maine to Ket journey, after some weeks, and are footsore and ill supplied to simply turn around. It's a long, dangerous journey--without protection they would almost certainly fall prey to one hazard of the road or another. |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software